Michael Long deserves a Knighthood - got a statue, AFL Life Membership and an OAM for now

Ya think?

Personally I find it totally uninspiring. It’s like they had 50 cents each way and the horse finished fourth, in a photo.

I think I get what they were trying to do but I reckon it’s missed the mark by a long way on both counts.

Concept is solid though.

I like the statue, think it would look even better without the essendon logo, just leave it as is with just the sash.

1 Like

I hope they keep doing more statues, will give the new training base a sense of connection to the clubs history and a bit of character

1 Like

If the Long one had of been purely a footballer one not would have opened the door for that. Now I think they have made it very difficult.

Sheedy 100% gets one on that criteria.

3 Likes

Well done Essendon and the Barham family… He has given so much to our club, it’s nice he is getting something back by way of acknowlegement… also great they included his achievements since then with the development of The Long Walk.
I am really looking forward to seeing the statue in ‘real life’ when I am next in Melbourne.

1 Like

So happy to see the club honour and recognise the achievements of this great man - (regardless of whether you like the statue or not.)

I think the criteria should be about more than just their football talent. That’s why I like this one of Longy. For me it’s about contribution to our club in both an off-field and an on-field sense. We have had A LOT of champion players and greats of the game, some of whom already have statues at the MCG; I think we should recognise a players, coaches or even a jacketed list managers contribution to society as whole as they have indelibly left their mark on this club and the character of this club.

Which reminds me, is there a ‘Walk to the Gee’ planned for this season?

Not from Darwin…

1 Like

I think it’s gonna be replaced with A March on the Umpires Department

3 Likes

You bring the tar, l’ll get the feathers.

1 Like

I’ll bring the big photo of Coley.

1 Like

Essendon champion Michael Long has been named Northern Territorian of the Year in recognition of his work as an indigenous community leader.

Darwin-born Long has been described as a football icon who made a stand against racism during his career, and an advocate for reconciliation.

The Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre in Darwin provides accommodation, education, football and other sporting and corporate facilities.

The centre aims to give young indigenous Territorians the same opportunities as their non-indigenous peers.

Long’s selection also recognised The Long Walk Foundation charity’s work to increase awareness of indigenous culture and history.

The Long Walk started in 2004 when Long trekked 650km from his home in Melbourne to Parliament House in Canberra to meet with former prime minister John Howard to get indigenous issues on the national agenda.

In his AFL career, Long played 190 games for Essendon, winning two premierships and the Norm Smith Medal in 1993.

6 Likes

I was hoping the AFL may make him the first Indigenous AFL Commissioner and keep the other bastards honest.

2 Likes

Northern Territory: Michael Long

A racial slur flung casually in his direction was a catalyst for Michael Long and a painful reminder that the road to equality still stretched ahead.

A dazzling AFL player for the Bombers, Long began the “Long Walk” in 2004 as a way to spread a message against hate.

He trekked 650 kilometres from Melbourne to Canberra to meet with then Prime Minister John Howard and discuss bringing Indigenous issues back onto the national agenda.

Again in 2013, he was reminded of the work still to be done when Adam Goodes was targeted on the field.

“It does disappoint you when you it raises its head again,” he said at the time.

Named the Northern Territory’s Australian of the Year, he said he remained committed to using football to connect with people.

“[Football has given me] the platform to give back to our youth, our kids, our community,” he told the award ceremony in Darwin.
"Hopefully [we can] use the power of football to do good things.

“I’m grateful to be a Territorian and I just want to see our children … do really well.”

11 Likes
2 Likes

Seeing the great man so emotional on The Front Bar just then was tough.
So much admiration for this man.
The love that he has for his unwell father, and having the courage to share that emotion on television, was amazing.

If our players can’t get up for the great man this Saturday night after all he has done for the club and country, they can get ■■■■■■.

13 Likes

It looks like he has dropped some weight which must be a good thing for his health.

I was very worried about him 12 months ago

4 Likes

Looking in much better shape now than he was, great to see.