Mid Season Draft — Operation Replace Devon completed

Why would you be concerned??

We have a full list of players, and we’ve brought in 3 or 4 “Big Fish” ™ over the past 3 years, … right? :thinking: It makes sense we’d be at the limit.

1 Like

That makes some sense.

McNiece is on the main off category B

Tried to add Jabber to the vacant Cat B slot, got shut down.

With that being said, we have 2 LTI’s and 1 from the rookie list

Bad list management. We could have easily swung Benny to either Smiths or Danihers LTI slot and created one more spot

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t get it.

Maybe we were trying to help him get drafted by someone else by making them think we were going to take him

Yep. Thought only taking 2 instead of 3 was due to McNeice. Either Dodoro stuffed it up or AFL didn’t let us use Draper’s rookie spot.

Is it possible that, having already picked up one, the last thing Dodoro wanted on his resume was being the man who picked-up two sh it-truck ruckmen in the one season?..

3 Likes

I haven’t seen a definitive explanation of how the midseason draft picks tie in with the salary cap. Rookies’ base wages don’t count against the cap, and elevated B rookies’ wages don’t count against the cap as long as there’s a player on the LTI. So the precedent would be that it doesn’t count against the cap beyond match payments, which you have to pay everyone anyway.

I’ve seen a bunch of media types say it’s against the cap without any evidence given, but they’ve also been throwing around the number $70k, which only applies if the player isn’t retained.

2 Likes

Dodoro said we didn’t take the 2nd pick because Ben McNiece is a Category B rookie and he’s “playing some really good footy” (no, he’s not!), so we didn’t want to lose him. WTF?

5 Likes

Would have been nice if someone had asked him about that.

1 Like

I would hate to see mcniece play some bad footy.

17 Likes

It was still Tuesday in Tibet when he was born.

1 Like

Sounds like we are stuck with McNiece in the side then.

We love a good plodder.

1 Like

“We thought Michael Knoll was the pick of them, and he went before us. That’s the nature of drafting unfortunately.” None of this “We couldn’t believe he was still available” nonsense in the mid-season draft.

2 Likes

Adrian would have been a great used car salesman.

feels like im watching a pantomime with this club right now.

why are we drafting a team full of ceos?

2 Likes

absolutely staggered in a draft to take a free hit at a hail mary, we bring in

2 Likes

Supposedly we have a Ben McNiece in our team playing really good footy. I wasn’t aware there were 2 of them, because the one I have seen has been awful.

6 Likes

Nothing imitation about him, he is a genuine Vanilla!

1 Like

Either way we still could have used the other pick

1 Like

wheres @Reboot to talk salary cap space?