Mid Season Draft — Operation Replace Devon completed

Long?

1 Like

That’s a better example.

1 Like

Have to say I think the Richmond pick is shrewd.
Paid, what is it, 70k? to lock away the best player outside the AFL.
Even if he only plays fifty games.
Even if he only plays 25 games in a season where you’re a challenger, and if he doesn’t make it, what have you lost?

4 Likes

He is, ability wise, just needs some more AFL conditioning, which again makes it strange why we would not try and get an extra 6 months work into him before preseason.

Decision lacked foresight.

1 Like

Trolling confirmed

A view put by in particular but maybe by others Chris Frickin Scott, ( Geelong did not have a pick) is that clubs would “warehouse” young players and gain an advantage compared with other ( top 8?) clubs by using the mid season draft for that purpose rather than identifying a need caused by injury. He even suggested clubs that pick up young players should be penalised in the November draft !

Some other clubs picks u the 2 older players we needed ahead of us, so we got a younger player instead and passed on the second pick. So Chris Frickin Scott can stick his opinion about some kind of penalty.

Only if he is actually good enough. Lots of teams passed. Are they all lacking foresight? Even Clarko the genius?

agree totally.

Richmond are starting to make a habit of these sorts of decisions and they have a habit of paying off.

fortune favours the brave.

1 Like

If they wanted to pay a guy 70k not to play, they could of drafted me.

2 Likes

Sam Lowson won’t be picked ever onto a list I don’t think. Found out yesterday some stuff regarding him and why clubs turned off him right away. They put the question to his manager about what they heard about him and his manager couldnt deny it. Either way he really isn’t afl standard anyway

1 Like

Yep. 100%

We thought enough of him to explore the possibility of adding him via the NGA, that should suggest we thought enough of him to invest in his development. North met with him 3 times Hawthorn did too, and he was one of 25 players invited to the AFL house testing.

don’t diminish his potential. He’s right there.

1 Like

Maybe Dodoro made the intelligent call of waiting for a club clean out before destroying another young mans career by Essington them.

I’m not doing that at all. As you said, those teams met with him 3 times and passed. Maybe he’s still a wait and see.

I suspect we’ll zone pick him as soon as the season is over, tbh.

2 Likes

that maybe how clubs see it, I think hes a get him in your system and start developing him stage. Which is what will happen at the end of the year with some club, hopefully us.

1 Like

The… err…unusual…thing is the club statement earlier about opening up a second pick, then not using it because of Mcniece already playing? That makes no sense at all. The AFL seemed ok with it. Or would Ben have had to drop back off the main list, which we didn’t want to do? In which case why bother listing the second pick at all?

A bit weird.

1 Like

that is the major point of confusion for me.

there is obviously a lot we dont know but the two things we do know are:

and

then we didn’t do anything and trotted out the McNiece situation.

its hard not to feel like we dont know what we are doing

1 Like

I think the idea was to get a ruck with pick one and then maybe Pickett or Mingma with our second pick.

The only decent ruck went so they just went with one pick.

5 Likes

That’s my thought as well. We only wanted a ready made ruck. Sydney beat us to it despite having plenty of depth and Smelling was our other pick.

2 Likes

Isn’t Tom Hird on some special rookie thing or Cat B?