Mid Season Draft — Operation Replace Devon completed

Cal Twomey said the Essendon recruiting team were furious when Sydney grabbed that ruck before we could take him.

2 Likes

He would have been run out of the club with Pitchforks half a decade ago, …

3 Likes

Yeah, … this. (Should have finished reading the post, … :roll_eyes: )

Especially since they have other good rucks already. I would do the same thing if I saw a team could potentially improve with that selection.

It’s not revisionist history, it is simply history, they were picked up players that didn’t work out for a few reasons, hardly revisionist. As you pointed out they have turned things around but to claim they always get everything right is not right either, they haven’t.

And you can’t claim Pickett as a success yet, let’s wait and see how he turns out first, that is an unknown. I hope they do make it work with him though, just as I hope we can turn it around as well.

They can’t drop salary cap for the current year. Only into the future.

I’m not claiming he is, I’m just saying you can’t include those other guys who bombed in comparison because it was a completely different club back then. Where as sans Merv we are pretty much the same club in that area over the last 18 years.

As it stands, Richmond’s current set up hasn’t stuffed one up yet.

I know that’s the case for FA, PSD and initial ND contracts, but I can’t see anything in the rules or CBA that says cap can’t be dropped due to a contract amendment for standard playing contracts. Would be happy to get a clear source on it though, one less mystery.

I think I’m right in saying that Stack also moved in with Dimma. Wonder how many spare rooms he has??

I’ve only read it in the media, not AFL guidelines. But they said under the Rules Boyd’s salary for this year had to be included in the cap and the future seasons could be dropped, regardless of the agreement with the player.

1 Like

Yep, lived with Dimma over summer. Dimma must be an absolute legend.

Fair enough. Sure would be nice if the AFL would publish their full damned rules somewhere. Oh well.

1 Like

Haha, it would, but then they couldn’t bend them whenever they want.

We should bring Alwyn Davey in a coaching role or his brother Aaron.
Would help aid the progression of his boys and adding a aboriginal to the coaches box would be good for the game.

Imagine Adam Goodes as our head coach - we would bury the hatchet as fans and be 100% behind him…
He would do anything to win like he did onfield.
He has been Australian of the year, won 2 brownlows, whats next - coaching an AFL club.
AFL would be behind him, they always loved him.

1 Like

The AFL would hand us the flag on a platter for the next 10 years AND would find a way to blame the club for bringing the game into disrepute when opposition fans boo

1 Like

So can we pick up some ruck backup in this upcoming MSD?

Oh…

I’ve heard Snelling’s smaller brother is available, we should look into that.

1 Like

Swans took Knoll knowing full well we would have taken him at the Snelling pick, a swans recruiter confirmed they knew we had a big interest in Knoll

I would say we didn’t think any other ruck would out perform ZClarke which is why we went with Snelling as a Devon replacement

3 Likes

Do we do more to ensure there are more decent mid season ruck options to recruit?

Strikes me as a draft to always plug a crucial list gap. Thats always going to be a key position isnt it? , with Ruck being I think the hardest. (and potentially the most important).

No way I would use it on midfield depth.

Long term surely your developing more of your senior list to be able to play AFL level midfield time than as a ruck?

Not sure if this is a draft you want to use it on best available. (which Snelling seems to be?)

Was all of Draper, ZClarke and Belly fit at the time if the draft? With Daniher out I thought that had put us down a ruck option as well. (albeit one of our last)

Bowman has performed well in VFL. I think we should seriously consider him for the October draft.

But what if we’d drafted him mid year and then he stunk it up these last couple of weeks? We’d be saying: “waste of a pick”

In hindsight - yes, we could have drafted him… but hindsight is always a bit clearer,