Mid Season Review - Will we, Won't we

We haven’t seen anywhere near what GWS are capable of. I know they’ve dropped a couple of games, including against Fark Carlton but even that game they had it as good as won until Toby Greene puked all over himself in the last 5min. They’re timing their run for mine and with a bunch of stars returning over the next 2 months are going to go BANG at just the right time. The battle for 2nd place is a raffle though for sure.

Yeah I know, GWS are guaranteed the next five flags, just you wait… Sure, they just lost to Carlton, but lock those flags in because draft concessions.

They are a team of champions as the saying goes.

Edit. Oh, and put them on the MCG on grand final day, and they are gettable by just about anyone.

3 Likes

I made no reference to anything beyond this year. And I just happen to be of the opinion that they’re going to time their run and what we’ll see come september will be pretty emphatic. I’m actually looking forward to it. And if I’m wrong and another team can jump up above the pack and grab the prize then more power to them.

1 Like

Nice rant, but not much connection to what was said.

I agree.

GWS are favorites for sure.

Still doesn’t mean its not wide open. We still have lots of room for improvement and will some luck I’m not counting us out of it.

Having said that we still have some work to do to ensure we can compete over the next five years or so.

That’s true, you didn’t, I kind of responded to you with my generic GWS rant.

I honestly don’t rate them that much. Sure, they are chocked full of stars, but I don’t reckon they run both ways and I don’t think they play for each other.

And while there are plenty of impressive names on the injury list, structurally all their major players are still there. Mumford, Cameron, Davis, Greene, Shiel, Kelly, Shaw haven’t been injured. It’s all flankers and bit part players missing, which is why they’ve covered them. (I’d say Coniglio is the biggest loss they’ve had, because unlike anybody else in the team, he can play defensive mid.)

Sure, they can win the flag, but as far as it being ‘a race for second spot,’ no friggin way.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input Neil :+1:

1 Like

Welcome.

I think it’s fair to say it’s unusual for a team with GWS’ recent formline to be rated flag favourite.
They’ve played (current) 6-7-8-9-10 & 15, had 4 close wins and 2 close losses.

Take out their percentage boosters in rounds 2 & 3 and there’s not very much to rate them highly on.

It’s an unusual year, but not that unusual, surely.

1 Like

All the teams were above us on the ladder last year.

Ok ok just got it:slight_smile:

1 Like

If we have to win 4 like the Dogs, and we have close to our best 22 we are as good a chance as any.

Problem is, that chance is fk all.

I reckon you can pretty much lock Richmond in to be ahead at three-quarter time.

1 Like

I suppose you have to look at the teams when they are playing their best football. Adelaide are up there more so than GWS in my opinion. We are up their too, as is Bitchmond and Port except these two we know are susceptible to being complete chokers. WC probably won’t produce and neither will Geelong.
The team that plays its best football during finals will win the GF. Essendon is not excluded to the point that if we bring our best and the opposition don’t then we are also a chance to take the cake. Our problem is consistency. If we can play our best footy consistently through the finals then we could get lucky.
All you have to do is dream.

1 Like

I want to see an Adelaide Essendon GF

GWS are naff, and if they make it to the GF, they’ll fall apart like Sydney did without home town umpiring.

Stating the obvious here but the critical games for us are the ones against teams around us on the ladder. Bulldogs, Saints, Freo & Pies in particular. Missed opportunities against Richmond & Sydney, would’ve given us a little separation from those sides. As it now sits, we’re in an absolute dog fight for a spot in the lower part of the 8. I still think we will make it but the aforementioned games are most crucial.

1 Like

Nup

Next month is the most exciting/important for the Dons in 10 years, Lions, Pies, Saints, North.

I’m a huge fan of Wooshas but this month is where he pays his bills. We are primed and 3 out 4 wins is par from that draw. We manage that and we will get it done.

2 Likes

I think we’ll win 4/4. But 3/4 isn’t really ‘par’ in my opinion. I think 2/4 would be par for that group.

1 Like

We really need to win at least 3.
Win on Friday we’re 7th, probably be 11th by the end of the day. :slightly_frowning_face:

Yep. They’re all dicey games though - actually what am I saying…every game is a dicey game this year.