Mid Season Review - Will we, Won't we

Outside Adelaide i give us a chance of beating anyone in melbourne and I think we should beat Port or wce away too

I don’t feel like Woosha cares too much about whether we make the 8 or not. If it happens it happens. He has said so more than once. When he says things like improvement in certain areas, teaching the new players how to play the way he wants them to play.

He is more about getting the mix right and playing together as a team. Anyone who isn’t in the mix come the end of the season will be moved on. Wait and watch. This year is experimental but playing finals would be a great learning
experience. However for us to do that now, we have to improve and stop making ridiculous mistakes such as those made last night in the last three minutes of the game we lost last night against Sydney.

Finals footy is invaluable education and experience.

Any talk of Essendon making the finals and being capable of beating anyone once there is both ridiculous and stupidly arrogant.

Yes, Essendon can make the finals, and let’s all hope that they do.

But the last 15 years suggests that the a*se is likely to fall off Essendon over the next 10 weeks, and a finish even as low as 16th or 17th is probably more likely than a finals appearance.

With easily the worst midfield in the competition, a whole lot right is going to have to happen for Essendon to win 6 or 7 of the remaining 9 games.

Yup, fxd.

How many weeks are left?

We’re going to need to win four finals to win the premiership, now.

2 Likes

I think it was devastating to lose yesterday and have advocated for prioritising developing youth, but it is a hell of a year to pick out individual wins and losses as defining who we are as a football club.

The loss seems unforgivable, but I think we wanted believe how we played against Port was par for the course. The truth is if all our players are all “on” we get the PA game. If we are all having a below par game we get yesterday.

Unfortunately the loss has hit a nerve given recent history, but even the first time we met the Lions, they gave us a run for our money and they are not a bad young side who are finding their spirit in recent weeks and who will win more games.

The truth is this year is a lottery where we can win or lose any game. Unfortunately we lost a game we were favoured to win which hurts in so many ways.

I flew the white flag after the Adelaide loss, and have waved it again. But we probably expected too much from a side which has been ill prepared to have the elite fitness required for our game style, and should probably get honest with ourselves and start working on 2018 and beyond while still giving 2017 games a shake.