Mid Season Review - Will we, Won't we

Football can be funny though.
How are the Dogs going with their young, quick midfield?

1 Like

Their arguable mist important player in that midfield is MIA

Thereā€™s actually quite a lot happening there. Itā€™s not one player. And itā€™s not speed. Thereā€™s hundreds of things that need to work. For the Dogs, with their talent, coach, youth and speed - it isnā€™t happening right now.
My point - lots of reasons for things - letā€™s not fixate on one thing forever.

1 win and a bit of % from 15th !

1 Like

I just want a midfield that beats up on other teams time and time again. I want Essendon to be the big kid on campus again.

7 Likes

PEOPLE, WE ARE IN THE 8 HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON

Of all the teams that are in the 8 thatā€™s the most surprising and impressive feat considering our list was put together 6 months ago.

7 Likes

I donā€™t think you can act like that, considering the absolute vitriol you were spewing at mckenna.

Well, yes, of course. We all want that. So do all the other teams and their supporters.
But what we actually want, is not just a kickarse midfield. We want a shithot forward line, and and a rock-solid and rebounding defense. And we want it all to hold up together, against anything any opposition throws against us. And we want to get all the way to the finals, and then be better than everyone else. And then win a flag. No, all the flags. Forever.
Thatā€™s a given, I would have thought. Since it is a competitive sport.
Right?

3 Likes

Should have won against Fremantle too.

Yes, very good. Bring us all of that.

Anyone want to put their money on Essendon playing 6-8 consecutive weeks of quality football?

Hell, even four?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll put money on it.

Just not mine.

7 Likes

What sort of quality?

2 Likes

Man that loss to Carlton sucks

3 Likes

the richmond one too. hell even the gws one.
Itā€™s the only lesson they still havenā€™t learnt yet, losses like that add up and end up costing you the most.

Sill remember all the way back to 08 and with 4 round to go, we were still only 2 odd games from top 4 spot, with 3 or 4 10 point and under losses.

Will we make finals, who knows.
We on our day are prolly 1 of about 10 teams who could pinch a flag this year.
problem as always is, the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

The simple fact is no one could tip one way or the other with any certainty as to what or where we will end up, itā€™s mostly gonna end up with just dumb luck me thinks, for a few teams.

yep we win that one and: weā€™d have the bragging rights vs Coll, Haw and Carl all at once > be in the 4ā€¦

Comparing rounds 1-6 with rounds 7-13, we are averaging 2.2 goals per game more and 1.3 goals against per game fewer

This is why I think we are wasting our breath saying oh if only we had beaten Carlton/Melbourneā€¦this team is improving every week and the round 14 team is a different beast than the round 4 team

We arenā€™t a team that drops games to Carlton any more (and just nb that Carlton team has beaten GWS and GC with the same tactics that beat us and not in the wet!)

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of above. The kids are the key.

Our time will be post Watson, BJ at which time McGrath, Parish, Hepp and Zach will be smoking.

Which is why Iā€™d like to see us try pick up another elite mid in the national draft or snag a young gun wanting to leave an interstate club to come home.

I think picking up an elite player on big dosh from another club in the second half of their career would be a waste.

1 Like

This.

The start of the season team was better than last year, but was still learning how to play together (returnees + players recruited in the last 2 years), which is more than half the team.

Also, a big source of frustration in 2013-15 was how inconsistent we could be - between games and within a game, I think we have improved here immensely this year, and it is continuing to improve through the year. We are better for longer now.

I think this Sydney game is a real yardstick as to whether we can do some real damage in September. Sydney have snapped out of their 0-6 funk and are playing like a final 8 side (maybe not top 4 because they are still a little patchy - first half of their Richmond game). Beat their close checking game at home and we are really getting into a good place.

Still only 2 games from 17th place