Midfield Woes: Instant fix

I stated he was on the decline which is different to cooked - Like Baguley was on the decline in the back half of 2015 which has continued on in 2016 and 2017.

I actually see McGrath filling Stanton’s role as early as the back half of 2017 - A combination of McKenna/Gleeson will fill Kelly’s role - Watson’s role is more problematic and probably a slower burn.

1 Like

Mate in round 23 2015, Stanton kicked 3 goals, 5 inside 50’s, 4 clearances, 30 possessions, 8 marks…
In round 22 2015, he had 29 possessions (match high), 7 inside 50’s, 6 rebound 50’s…

If anything he was getting better to end the year.

1 Like

Also stantons ■■■■ because billings is ■■■■.

I’ve been pretty happy with Stanton this year. Think his disposal has been really good. I don’t know what his role is, but I haven’t yelled at him like I’ve been known to sometimes do in the privacy of my lounge room.

I’ve been really pleased with Goddard. I genuinely thought he was ready to be put out to pasture, but he has been very good this year so far.

Kelly I like, but my word he was off last weekend.

And Watson has been terrible really. Just so out of touch.

Think we are a smidge unbalanced because we are playing all those guys at once. Yet the blokes the most out of form are my favourites. If Goddard or Stanton were showing the disposal yips of Watson than the knives would be well and truly out.

1 Like

Goddard has been classes better than Stanton this year - Watson has been better and Kelly has been better than Stanton.

1 Like

Bump !!!
We beat Collingwood for clearances and marginally lost contested possessions.

However the problem of losing I50s must be addressed. It seems to be coming from turnovers in the midfield and there are a couple of players that probably need to be swapped out. Zaka is probably one, Stanton is another. ,

I feel like if we get our inside 50 count up, with our efficiency in the forward line we can really start to put away sides

3 Likes

Hoping to see Kobe Mutch get a few senior games before years end. Hell be a beast once he has a pre-season or two of weights behind him.

Average sides yes. Good sides, no chance. We’re not beating anyone decent if we keep conceding the amount of ball inside 50 that we are.

Although turnovers are definitely a problem and need to be fixed, what exacerbated the I50s against Collingwood was our kick outs from points. Many of them came straight back in, especially in Q2. Hurley and Kelly were major culprits.

A slight problem with dropping Stanton or Zaha is that most of their replacements are inside mids. Bird, Myers, Hocking, Howlett and Langford all play inside when in the midfield. The only really outside players with form is Mutch, or maybe McKenna if tried on the wing. So dropping both may not be a good move. Unfortunately I think Stanton needs to be dropped more than Zaha.

1 Like

Part of the role of the ruckman is to provide that tall option and the power to take intercept marks from the oppositions kickin, but also from ours,enabling us to deploy a tall marking option on both sides of the ground. Burger is below average at this. He was good in 2011, but seems to have lost this from his game. I really cannot say whether TBell is better at the moment, but at the very least Berger needs to lift in that area if he can. On average kickins happen 20 times in every game. Winning the ball at this point can be similar in effect to a clearance.

Collingwood always seemed to have two talls to our one whenever we kicked it long.

The only one who I can see still best 22 in 12 months time is Goddard barring a extraordinary drop off, and perhaps Jobe but I have my doubts and I think this will be his last season.

2 Likes

Once Hooker gets to full match fitness he will be able to get up the ground for kickins more often during games. He is still the best contested mark in the team. That will help a lot.

Stanton might not have had much of the ball on Anzac Day but he was regularly the first from our midfield into the D50 when they were breaking. One of the big reasons that they faced so much congestion going forward. Thought he had a good game.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it is about us losing the inside 50s it is I reckon anyway the fact that we spend too much time trying to finesse passes and look for better options inside 50 which while good ends up with a turnover if we miss someone in the chain. A lot of our turn overs happen in our halfback line.

This would explain how we end up having less inside 50s but being more effective, however also turning over and end up conceding.

I just think that the mids right now don’t work hard enough at times to find space but they also don’t back in our forwards to win the 1 on 1s as much.

Finessing passes is fine if the players up the ground are moving, far too many times we wer stagnant, i had a view down the ground for anzac day and it was fkg obvious when collingwood was cutting down our zone and we would just bomb it long time after time, where moments of brilliance from players (joe, tippa, raz etc) would lead to a goal. I think thats a fundamental error of our system, either in execution or planning.

1 Like

I didn’t see that exactly but we definitely need to lead to space better. This was one of Stanton’s strengths and is something that a quality quick mid-sized high half forward can fix.