Midfield Trade Targets

I’d like to hear the case against. I’d fail if I was on that side of that debate. Can’t think of any reason at all beyond, “stop dreaming Sydney won’t let him go”.

2 Likes

“Against” is probably the wrong phrase. If you can get him you do. Instantly in our starting midfield.

But Sydney keep failing at the G and to me he seems a ‘stationary’ player. That may be due to the Swans preferred gamestyle, which in turn may be due to playing at the scg, or he just may not be a running player naturally. He’s had one bounce for the entire season. So, if our preferred playing style is actually the bulldogs game, where there was sfa stoppages in the first half and the ball is constantly swinging end to end then i wonder how effective he’d be. I also have a gut feel that many of his clearances are the hard fought kicks forward and because of how Sydney structure up it works for them, often with a 2nd stoppagrs. But for us, who often allow a loose player at either end that quick kick probably comes back a fair bit. On the flipside if he’s pumping out 8 clearances per week and its Zerrett, Fanta or Parish with the 2nd possession and time to consider the play then thats ridiculously good for us.

What he can do of course is impact up front too, particularly with contested marking and tackling pressure.

I’d be really interested to see how we’d use him and how/if our gamestyle changed with him in the side.

Id trade for him in a heartbeat. But his clearance numbers and overall playing style are different to some of the other top 10 names on that list.

2 Likes

Toby Greene the midfielder/forward is exactly what we need and we should at the right time, check him out.

3 Likes

Thanks @saladin A few things in there I hadn’t considered.

Safe to say the “for” side of the debate still wins though.

Saladin,

Great insight shared and you point out some excellent observations of someone who watches the game intently.

Like you say clearance stats do tell a story. As do player observations. This is where players like Shiel and Shuey can be underrated because not only do they win clearances but they can take the game fwd with purpose.

I think Parish has this quality also.

But one thing Parker has is good fwd craft and hands above his head.

Hey wines, do you rather your president chuck a hissy and it get leaked in video, or a good old fashioned Essendon Chairman open letter.

7 Likes

You’re forgetting the “tweet” option

Get Stringer. Then make him part of the pitch to Wines next year. Both Pioneers players.

2 Likes

Every player that rejects essendon is basically saying ‘git gud scrub’

1 Like

You said “expires at the end of 2018. Interesting how the Giants have extended the others, but haven’t locked in Greene - despite supposedly rating him very highly”. That is only interesting if your talking like with like. So far GWS have re-signed out of contract players and extended new draftees beyond the two year limit. Is there any relevant example of other senior players with contracts expiring they have re-signed who would provide support to your implication that they don’t rate him? Or any other evidence GWS don’t rate him?

And I would still say that his cost will make him a bad target. GWS need him, they would demand a high price for him, and there is no guarantee he can even fill the position we need – midfield.

Agree to disagree. I want him. You don’t. Not going to waste my energy on semantics with an argumentative type.

You’re doing it wrong.

This is offseason… you’ve got to argue every minute detail just to keep things interesting.

It also looks bad when you state something in favour of your argument, and when challenged on it can’t really support it.

Its technically not offseason until after next week.

Wanna play ball?

I stated: ‘Extended the others’. I never used the word ‘senior’.

You replied that they hadn’t extended anyone & challenged me to name players. Gave you three & you tried to wriggle out of it. Mistake 1.

I stated: ‘They have been disrespectful to Greene & deserve to lose him’. Never said anything about them not valuing him. You said that I implied that, which was your incorrect assumption. Mistake 2.

They were shopping him around not that long ago, so that could be interpreted in many ways.

Lastly, we are both entitled to value him differently. He is elite IMO & worth whatever GWS would demand (pick wise) & $ wise: $1m. No sweat.

That’s bullshit AFL Lover!!!

3 Likes

Haha I’m over us being a ‘draft and develop club’

2 Likes

Will someone please think about the kids…

I think parish is actually the quintessential modern day stopagge player. He reads the ruck, takes it cleanly and releases with lightening speed and precision by hand. He is always moving through the stopagge and as such is also adept at pinching taps. If we get enough guys around him who are equally clean we will improve our stopage work.

Bulls who can bust through tackles and hoof it are a liability these days. The elite players with incredible hands, vision and size are still pretty rare but with their weight in gold. Hepp and Langford are still good prospects as that type

6 Likes

McGrath is the obvious one. Lad might even be considered cleaner than Parish.

5 Likes