Midfield Trade Targets

You still need to historically finish top 4 to realistically win a flag though (dogs miracle run aside).

Which requires your team to be pretty consistent throughout the course of a season and not drop games to bottom 4 clubs like Brisbane or Carlton. This is something Essendon really needs to improve upon.

2 Likes

Hence the 14-16 wins as stated. Not 12.

I’m all prepared for us to get Zilch of any best 22 player that isnt past his prime.

There is no decent FA now rocky has nominated Port.

We will take all our picks to the draft.

Bahahaha.

Brandon Ellis went as Dustin Martin to their end of year shenanigans

Check out pick below. Lol. Tin rattlers

2 Likes

There’s almost a delineated 3-stage extraction these days, imo. At the drop/extract1, push through/deliver2, receive&run3. Those three guys fit the 2nd stage well.

If it wasn’t for the banning of our players he would already be playing for us.

Doubt it!

1 Like

Nice false dichotomy. How about a game plan that will work with what we have?

Except it wasn’t my premise at all. My premise was that we make sure we get a competition in the forward half, and don’t give up intercepts. We don’t have the skills to hit targets under no pressure, creating a game plan around hitting up targets under pressure is hardly going to be sustainable for us at this time, so why would that be how I expect us to beat Richmond?

That goes for every team. Maybe Richmond have more depth of pressure smalls, but they also have less depth of talls. If Jack doesn’t pull down the marks, and McGovern isn’t injured then Adelaide intercepts all day and the result is different.

And even if the match is exactly as it was, if one of their smalls doesn’t bring the intensity that’s a weakness that can and would be exploited, whether they have 2, 3, or 6 small forwards

Unless you set the trend, rather than follow it. You know, like Hawthorn and Geelong and Sydney and Footscray and Richmond have all set trends in the way they’ve played over the last decade.

Because that’s one random potential different way to play, so that’s definitely what we’d try

Whatever that means. We’re always tweaking and changing. Across seasons, matches and even parts of matches.

Except it’s not the blueprint. Richmond (and Footscray) managed to exploit weak years by hitting their absolute best form at exactly the right time, The Bulldogs finished 7th at the end of H&A 2016, and didn’t make the 8 this year. The top teams had 15 odd wins this year. Anything less than 18-4 historically has meant it’s anyone’s flag. Richmond got it done this year, but 3 wins don’t make a blueprint.

Ummm I don’t think anyone needs to prove that 3 talls works. What you need is enough quality, and a game plan that works with your quality. Richmond proved that 1 tall could work. To say that therefore 3 talls doesn’t work is logically false. (In my opinion you need 6 goalkickers first and foremost, and then appropriate defensive structure. How tall those goalkickers are is open to discussion. It could be 6 x 190cm+ if you wanted! (Daniher/Hooker/Francis/Stringer/Laverde/Stewart) or it could be 6 smalls.

I hate autocorrect, I am forever editing posts when I see stupid autocorrects. Hence had to wait until I got to a keyboard for this reply!!

1 Like

Surely there’s a 24yr old inside mid in the VFL out there somewhere

One of my good mates (from SA) reckons Sturt’s mid, James Battersby, is worth a shot. (*can’t confirm, as am a Melbourne lad).

Id love if they gave James Peters or Nick hind a run. Theyve been solid and are still young.

Would definitely have a look at Hind.

Langford, Leverde, Francis. Give em time.

I wouldn’t mind for us to have a look at Darcy Lang and Anthony Miles as fringe inside midfield options.

Bigger bodies which we serverly lack. Lang looked pretty good in the finals as well.

I’m afraid of the Prismall factor with Lang. Looks good with guns around him. But you never know, he could excel with more responsibility.

2013 - 15 wins
2014 - 12 wins
2015 - 15 wins

When did we last win 15 games in a season?

I don’t.

We need to get parish and Heppell and Langford on ball as priority number 1

1 Like

Weren’t they on ball this year?

offer wines what he wants, exact type of player we need

1 Like

Correct, we won’t win the premiership next year.

We don’t have the midfielders who can stand up in tackles. It’s vital in finals.