Midfield Trade Targets

2001 - 17 games - tigers won 15 that year also.

1 Like

Why have we not been linked to an inside mid ? I’m confused AF

Because we don’t rate pure inside mids. And inside mids who are good through all phases are difficult to get.

1 Like

Yep. Def going for a more dynamic midfield albeit meant to have Sloane in sights for FA at end of '18

Inside mids are hard to deal with.

2 Likes

Luckily, we have guns to surround him.

3 Likes

Give Langford, Lav, and Fran time to develop.
I remember one Mr Hooker who was farkin hopeless, look at him now

And one Jobe Watson

If we manage to successfully pickup Stringer, Saad and Smith we should be one of the quickest sides in the comp. The possibility of McKenna, McGrath and Saad in the same back line is pretty exciting!

1 Like

McGrath will be on wing. And if Bags has a say in things will hold his spot and Saad will be on other wing.

Super quick side over the ground for sure though

1 Like

WHat makes speed important is getting to the next contest no matter what part of the ground.The old perceived pressure plays a huge factor.
I like the idea of McGrath up the ground gives us another who loves to contest.

If we get all 3 using and lose pick 11 so be it!

1 Like

I can still see us getting McKenzie in the Saad deal too he would be a buy 1 get 1 free deal

The best inside mids are explosive, obviously. Mcgrath (clearance machine in U18s) and Stringer (if he can build endurance?) can both play the inside role. Stringer could become a less fit version of dusty. These two solve the inside mid problem for mine.

3 Likes

Despite the prevailing wisdom, we aren’t terribly positioned for next year. If there isn’t a decent big bodied midfielder available, then target other needs and revisit later.

Big bodied inside mids for 2018

• Myers
  • Heppell
  • Goddard *1 year only
  • Langford
  • Stringer?
  • Bird?

Small, skilled / speedy inside mids

• Parish
  • Zerrett
  • McGrath
  • Zaharakis
  • Tippa
  • Fanta
  • Colyer
  • Smith?

Look to develop a Mutch or Clarke type next year or target a big bodied free agent to replace Goddard / Myers. Last thing we need is to do a Collingwood and trade for a crap player who vaguely fills a need.

2 Likes

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i’m not excited about our signings.

Have you all got short memories?
Do you guys not remember what happened when we played Sydney?

Now ask yourself - Would having Saad, Smith and Stringer in that team change the result?

The answer is a big NO

We would still get obliterated in the middle.
We would still cry out for elite midfielders.
We would still lose.

I’m getting sick and tired of this club being average. Sadly, i don’t see anything changing.

You cant please some people. What a miserable sod

21 Likes

I see where you’re coming from; I was at the game and it was agony to watch, but I’m wrapt with these signings.
I believe both Stringer and Smith can play midfield and both are explosive from the contest. We currently don’t have that. They’re always weapons forward which means we can play Tippa or Raz in the middle without losing as much as we did this year.
Saad can run and rebound which releases McGrath into the middle to use his pace, skill and pressure. I’m genuinely pumped

2 Likes

Would we have won with Dangerfield?

Would you be excited if Dangerfield nominated Essendon?

1 Like

probably not

1 Like

Nail on head.
They may not be all elite mids (smith and stringer could be future wise) but Saad releases McGrath, so essentially gaining us a potential elite midfielder.

Very happy with all three.