Midfield Trade Targets

Oh go on, out him @fogdog

3 Likes

If we could offload Howlett for a pick in the 100s id jump at it. Myers would be 3rd round. Pick 30 for both is fantasy.

Do you understand the phrase ā€œas much as they should haveā€?

Without having any stats, J watson seemed to be our first picked onballer all year. And he was not giving us much, obvious from the first game of the year. Heppell and Zerrett after that, then the (very impressive) Zaharakis, then the almost-as-cooked Myers. Goddard got time in there, and only after all of that list did Parish get time on ball. Langford got 3? games as a mid, luckily he got a reasonable amount of time when he was picked, but it wasnā€™t often enough by a long shot.

Watson and Myers really threw out our selections this year IMO. Not only because their lack of pace and agility exposed us when the ball got free of the centre swuare, but their lack of flexibility made it very hard for a number of younger players.

1 Like

Thereā€™s Tassieā€™s team name, ā€œThe Bracing Seamenā€

1 Like

I said, 'IRONBORN"!!!

2 Likes

Bad news @Ants, looks like Balicā€™s going to the demons.

Yeah sure, as long as thereā€™s inbreeding whatevs.

Still, think of the marketing slogans, Farkarlton had ā€œThey know were coming!ā€,
Tassie could have ā€œBrace yourself for a Spray from the Seamen!ā€

Ban me

2 Likes

Fixed

1 Like

Yes I understand ā€œas much as they should haveā€. Its a nothing phrase as someone could be getting 5% or 95% time but an individual might think they should have had more.

Do you understand the word ā€œmostlyā€? As in, Parish mostly doodled about half-forward. That implies he and Heppell were spending more time in other areas.

There are 7-9 midfielders in every game rotating, and they were both standard amongst that group. They didnā€™t particularly rest forward or back. They were midfielders.

You can, and no doubt will, argue the semantics any way you like. Parish certainly spent more time outside of the 4 starting in the centre square, than within.
Heppell spent plenty of time there, but it still should have been more.
Mostly to allow Watson and Myers an attempt at re kindling their faltering careers.
Iā€™m surprised anyone was ok with that at the time.
Iā€™m flabbergasted anyone is defending it now. It was a short sighted move, at best.

3 Likes

This sort of thing is exactly the reason why Iā€™m convinced weā€™ll be better next year even if there is little movement in our midfield stocks over the offseason. If our starting midfield becomes Zerrett, Hepp and Parish itā€™s immediately better than anything we produced this yearā€¦especially if you factor in some natural improvement for Parish and you subscribe to the theory that Hepp will be better after another pre-season.

Throw in support from Zaharakis, McGrath, hopefully Langford, hopefully Smith, then cameos from Fanta, Walla and hopefully Stringer and itā€™s a pretty exciting midfield group all of a sudden

2 Likes

I agree.
Much more even defensively, and much better on the spread - which were our two real problems this year. Turn it over too often and a few wouldnā€™t or couldnā€™t track the ball back with enough intensity.

Hope we see McGrath in there too, sooner rather than later.

Iā€™m not defending playing Watson and Myers. Iā€™m pointing out that the frequent meme going around Blitz that Parish spent material parts of the year as a HFF or Heppell as a back are patently false.

If anyone has an AFL Live Premium subscription (I donā€™t), they have somewhere in there heatmaps for every player of where they got all their possessions. That would provide fairly concrete information.

1 Like

5 Likes

Wholly balls. Guy gets it everywhere!

3 Likes

any chance of seeing that for Heppell?

and umā€¦everyone else on the list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heat map thread coming up

8 Likes

It seems weird that there are completely red bits where thereā€™s no possessions marked, and deep green where there are plenty of possessions marked
But I will take that as some form of averaging and consider myself pwned.

To the naked eye, and the tv eye, he seemed to be the half forward drifting into the square far more often than that shows. (Or, he was doing that, just actually good at itā€¦)

I will still be far happier with a more dynamic midfield setup in 2018.

1 Like