Midfield Woes: Instant fix

Thanks

We’re only 20 years into his 50 year plan.

2 Likes

Dodoro ‘plays the long game’ you know…

He hits his early 30’s and he’s ours!

3 Likes

Would we do 2018 first pick for Hopper and then hope we could grab a player like Worpel with our 2017 first pick? Instant on ball depth with that outcome.

nah we want cameron rayner.

trade up the draft.

2 Likes

Any relation to Johnny Rayner?

1 Like

I hear his groins are bad

GWS Have some talent out of contract end of the year, the following contracts expire in 2017.
Devon Smith - Have less of a need now have Tippa/Green/Fantasia would still be handy
Harrison Himmelberg - Might be a handy forward
Jacob Hopper -Inside mid
Matthew Kennedy - Inside Mid
Stephen Conigliou - would be worth 2 first rounders.

Lachie Whitfield is 2018 - but his outside run may suit us, and we will need to trade anyway

We could probably get any of those guys for a first round pick. Or a future first round pick

Would gladly take Hopper and Kennedy off their hands

Is Hopper over his heart condition?

If we had enough money to table a sizeable offer to O’Meara last year, we’ve definitely got enough space to chase Hopper who would be being offered less. Hopper won’t be on a marquee contract no matter who he signs with. But may be better value than O’Meara, who is looking like might have a career ending injury.

Yeah, I’d love Hopper. Looks to have plenty of talent.

That’s the sort of player that we should be targeting and marking (reasonably) big offers to. Get them before they really break out, and even if they aren’t interested in moving hopefully bump up their price a bit for their current club.

2 Likes

Was Hopper GWS academy? Would he actually be interested in leaving?

1 Like

Yeah Hopper was an academy pick. No idea if he would leave.

I agree with the sentiment but these are the type of deals you need to be very wary of. Hopper is not yet worth what GWS will almost certainly ask for him. This is a bit like when we tried to get Caddy - initial contract over, looks like he’s going to become a player but really he hasn’t turned out to be worth anywhere near what we reportedly offered for him. I haven’t seen enough of Hopper to say either way but I just can’t see GWS accepting anything less than our 1st pick plus either a player or something like second round next year. Compare it to what the price would be for Kelly & I think that’s a better bet.

1 Like

Also Hopper’s had lower back injuries and open heart surgery, so perhaps not most robust target.

Except Caddy had a year to run on his contract. :wink:

And I like the look of Hopper much more than Caddy, but that’s just an opinion which isn’t really relevant to the strategy.

Hopper played almost exclusively in melbourne though, boarded here in ballarat, played for the rebels. wtf did gws actually do for him?

GWS have been pretty fair in trading. Only really got mega trades for Treloar and Boyd.

Lot of other guys like WHE, marchbank, Pickett, McCarthy, Adams. Tyson were first rounders they have let go for second rounders or if first rounders then pick downgrades. They know they can’t keep them all and even high picks if they are fringe 22 they pass them on for reasonable price.

His procedure would have been performed via a puncture of a vein in the groin not “open heart” which involves splitting the sternum. It’s unlikely he will have any future problems.

4 Likes