Midfield Woes: Instant fix

No, not really.

If someone you don’t know, is saying there’s some things you don’t know, about someone you don’t really know, maybe it should give you cause to think. I know you don’t know. You know you don’t know. Yet you stick to your argument…because.
The smart thing to think would be “perhaps I’m missing something here. Maybe there’s things …I don’t farking know…”

Sometimes, winning a forum argument is far more important to people than anything else, and I don’t have a lot of time for those people online. I’m sure it would be different face to face. Avatars are hard to argue with.

The first sentence is fine, the second unnecessary.

No one can argue that Martin, the player, would positively impact every club in AFL. The off field Martin is clearly a different question. I’m don’t know what his problems are, so I’ll take your word that they’re bad enough to pass on. I’m pretty happy with the culture of our club and from what you allude, he’s a pass. Last night we probably win with him in our team though, so for that reason his talent is pretty seductive.
It should be cool for others to argue his merits without being insulted. He is a top 5 AFL talent.

4 Likes

I don’t want Martin.

It’s not because I think he would be bad on field, he would be a monster for our midfield, no doubt.

It’s not because I think the club can’t put the appropriate measures in place to stop him from being self destructive. I think we could contain him well enough for him to see out the long term deal.

It’s because of what he could do to the impressionable, highly talented, young players we have. Imagine if Francis, Parish, McGrath all started following the big $ Dusty around after hours and ruined them. Thats what we can’t recover from and that is far to big a risk.

I truly hope the Hawks drop every cent of the extra cap space on him. Then he goes completely off the rails.

I would much rather chase Kelly, Hopper, Zac Jones etc. and have a crack a Rockliff.

2 Likes

Other than the sh it with his dad, what problems does he have? Legit question.

Fair enough.
It’s a subject I feel very strongly about, for personal reasons.
Apologies for any offence.

1 Like

I heard a bit of Scotty Lucas on the radio this morning, and thought there were a couple of interesting snippets:

• Three clubs, WC/PORT/ESSENDON (from memory those were the three), traditionally haven’t included a TPP linkage in their contracts.
  • When it was then suggested that Essendon should suddenly have huge cap space to chase a player like Johannisen, Lucas pushed back, hinting that when we last signed a bunch of players, the sum was still pretty high, kind of like we paid extra to buy the players’ rights to a TPP linkage…so it’s not like we suddenly have 20% headroom.
1 Like

Scotty is an Essendon man, id want him to say that even we DID have more $$$

It makes sense though, may not have the 20% but could feasibly have 10-15%.

1 Like

One of our first rounders can’t even run a game out.

Unless you are prepared to put up then why the hell should anyone simply take your word for it? What we know with certainty is that he is a superstar player. What we know is that he manages to perform close to the top of the competition in spite of everything people want to hint at, allude to about his life outside football. So again until someone provides some form of evidence that his off-field life is suddenly going to prevent him performing for any club then I will not place any credence in gossip.
This is like the discussion last year about Rockliff, plenty of people pontificating that his character was suspect but nobody able to actually provide any substance. Ultimately he’s still come out this year and played top level footy and everything else is bunk.

4 Likes

How about we stop the Dustin Martin back and forth rubbish.

Everyones opinion is clear… nobody is changing their opinions.

There are 791ish other players in the comp. Let’s talk about one of them instead.

Nathan Fyfe at his best.

Just imagine.

1 Like

Trouble is you’d need Mr Peabody to see that.

1 Like

Id target Rory Sloane, he’s exactly what we need and I love how he plays. Not out of contract until next year, but that’s the way trading is heading.

Near asked the Rory question of Blitz myself while watching him Thursday night.

Given he’s out of contract and we hired north’s head recruiter as our pro scout, any chance we’d be looking at Dumont? I know @Aceman was a fan back in his draft year.

Didn’t he try to get to Gold Coast last year?

We absolutely need a clearance mid.

The way Kennedy last night and Viney tonight were continually able to win the footy out of contested situations and get it out to others is vital. 36 and 38 possessions each.

The intensity of Viney is amazing.

I’m disappointed with Watson. I know he’s been through a lot and I have high respect for the man, but where is the passion and drive? We needed that more than ever last night. Was frustrating to watch Kennedy roam around like that last night…

Dumont is probably their best young mid. I’d be very surprised if they wouldn’t be wrapping him up very soon. Maybe they are waiting to see what Kelly does & whats left over which maybe just maybe might see Dumont gettable but again I’d be surprised.