Midfield Woes: Instant fix

Just a hypothetical here, should Hooker be offered up along with a first round pick for Kelly? Hooker would add significantly to their defence and realistically will not be a major part of our next premiership (unless we pinch one). Similar to Deledio leaving Richmond. It would mean not selling the future pick (which is good). The teams that get trades done are the ones that give up something good to get things done. I guess the question is what would you be willing to give up that GWS want?

For me I would not give up Hurley, Heppell, Daniher, Zerrett, Fantasia, Parish, McGrath and Francis. Those are the players with real currency and who GWS would want, the other would be Hooker.

Just a late night ramble, would rather speculate on this than be in the london terror thread. As let’s face it, we are not getting Kelly.

1 Like
  1. Get some good talent at free agency that’s not too old.(Pittard, Jones makes sense if.both eligible).
  2. Trade to a club whose desperate. Gws are not. IMO send some experience to Queensland for draft picks or home sick Vics.
  3. As always draft smart.

If we wanted to trade Hooker the time was last year when we could have let him walk as a free agent. He would have attracted a contract that had to give us a 1st round compo which was of course pick 2. Mcgrath & McLuggage the Mc attack!

2 Likes

Francis:

2 Likes

Hooker trade would never happen.

He’s our VC and super important player both on field and within the club itself.

If a star player wants to leave a club, you never see a star player being given back in return. High picks, or a high pick/lesser player combo.

1 Like

It’s a vicious farkin cycle. They get a first round pick, make him a superstar, trade him for MULTIPLE fkn first round picks. The flag is theirs on a fucki ng silver platter

2 Likes

That’s whole point.

Who cares if they keep having pick 2, all we have to do is keep stealing their stars until all their senior players are retired and they will no longer be as big a threat. Eventually they will end up with a even group that is comparable to the rest of the comp. And eventually they will start having some misses with those top picks too.

Worst case we drive up their cap and they have to sell of players anyway.

Gut them from the inside.

No

We tried it once before and he told us he was never leaving the club.

I like his loyalty.

5 Likes

Although some deals baffle me (eg Cats Dangerfield), if GWS accepts 2 first rounders then I’d do it.

If the improvement in Kelly’s first year with us is significant, the year afters first round draft pick will drop. If they want 2 top 10 picks then different story.

And in hindsight, we’d have done really well…

2010 Heppell
2011 Kavanagh
2012 Daniher
2013 Merrett Kelly
2014 Langford Laverde
2015 Parish Francis
2016 McGrath

Free agency can also be the stop gap for the picks going to GWS.

There’s first round picks and there’s top 5 picks and they are very different.

Would I give up pick 4 and 3 for Kelly. Maybe not.

Would I give up pick 10 and 14 for Kelly. Abosulutley, without hesitation.

If we just miss finals this year and think Kelly would propel us into finals next year. The picks would be something like 10 and 14.

3 Likes

For nothing, no?

For significant unders? Quite frequently.[quote=“barnz, post:616, topic:10289, full:true”]
Surely the afl has to step in and stop the multiple first rounders to these expansion clubs for a few years.

they’ve been given the biggest ■■■■■■■ silver platter its a ■■■■■■■ travesty and how they can say the game is equal and everyone is a chance is a ■■■■■■■ joke.
[/quote]
That sounds a little like whining. They’re getting multiple first rounders because they’re losing top talent. Unless they nail all their picks (they won’t), we’ll start to see a natural progression out of the side of talent. Which will be accelerated if they win a premiership and some youngsters decide to go elsewhere. The return they got for players like Steele, Marchbank, Ploughman, whathisname at Freo, Cockatoo, Ahern etc. was laughable.

1 Like

How on earth do you know Begley won’t be a good midfielder? Its his first season in the VFL! Langford is currently putting together pretty good numbers in the VFL as an inside mid. And we’ve hardly seen Laverde due to injury.

The major reason our midfield isn’t good enough is because we lost multiple picks that would have been spent on it due to the saga. Add another top young talent or two from 2013 (and there were a plethora available) instead of Edwards and Aylett and the midfield would be looking a lot better.

They’ve got a lazy Suzanne of top end talent and there’s no end in sight. It’s self perpetuating. I said this ■■■■ years ago I’m saying it again. The facade of fairness in the draft is gone

2 Likes

Giving GWS two first rounders for Kelly would be a dream scenario, I think they will want more than that though.

Don’t think so. Two would definitely get it done.

1 Like

I’d give a top 5 pick for Kelly without giving it a second thought. I’d probably give them next year’s first rounder too and give him him the 9 years and the money norf are offering. He is that good and we are that desperate for top end midfield talent

1 Like

Just on Jones, his kicking is exactly what is wrong with our existing midfield. We need tough, quick elite ball users. We are waisting our time/money/trade leverage going after anything else

2 Likes

I remember thinking at the time that it was a very astute move by Melbourne to do that.

Doesn’t look so good now.

Depends on where they think the picks will be. A first rounder that is from 10-18 plus next years first probably won’t get it done. They would be wanting a top 10 this year plus next years first

This is a little bit of a misnomer though. If GWS takes Billings, or Melbourne take any of Cripps/Zerrett/Lobb then they potentially look like champions. And Salem is getting better after delays due to injuries.