Midfield Woes: Instant fix

Oh and I don’t count Morgan as a midfield option either, even if the club does hope one day he can spend 10 minutes on the wing every few games. He’s a running back predominantly.

As Crazy Bomber said, we need PURE mids, not guys who are best in other areas of the ground but are forced into the midfield.

Out of our current group of players. The one’s i would have as pure mids are:

Watson
Zac
Heppell
Stanton
Hocking
Parish
Langford
Goddard
Zaka
Bird
Howlett
Colyer
Mutch

Apologies if i have missed someone. I haven’t included the ruckman in that group either

There is not a lot of youth in that group at all. About 5 of those might not be on the list next year

We have quite a few guys who can spend small bursts in there but there is no way they could run out a game in the midfield.

We need players who can spend the majority of their time in the middle with bursts up forward or down back, not the other way around.

1 Like

This, although I’d argue Langford as a pure mid. And from that list in the next 1-2 years you can most likely cross off Watson, Howlett, Bird, Hocking, Stanton and Goddard won’t be far behind. Outside of our starting 18 that leaves Mutch and Clarke and a raft of players we have to use as bit parts to help fill in. That’s an indictment on the midfield state.

You just have to watch the VFL and see Howlett and Hocking starting in centre bounces to know just how badly we need young midfielders to be drafted. We have the forward/back set for the most part, now lets dedicate a draft or two to midfielders.

I’m pretty sure that everyone, everywhere, has agreed we need to focus on mids.
Yelling at clouds, at this point.

1 Like

Or responding to Ants per the obviously quoted posts and replies, or to those that were saying we have the right balance.

I don’t think anyone has said we have the right balance, actually. I may be wrong. It’s happened often before.

You’ve misinterpreted the discussion.

Ants said we targeted mids. And he’s been refured.

Ants think we have more mids then CB does.
Both think we need mids.

1 Like

I honestly can’t work out the point of coming into a thread to tell people what they’re arguing/discussing. We know what we’re discussing, but thanks. Ants, myself and co are having a reasoned discussion on the state of our midfield.

Yeah, sorry. It’s that farkin missing ignore button we both wish were still around.

If you want to add something or anything reasonable to the discussion I’ll be happy to read your post and respond.

Look, I agree that I think some of those guys are unlikely. I don’t think Laverde is a midfielder, and I doubt Walla will be there for long stretches. But I absolutely think Langford is a midfielder (based on what I’ve seen at VFL level), and have no doubt Raz will eventually be 80% midfield. There are absolutely people on Blitz who disagree with both of us on Laverde, and think he’s a great midfield prospect. So its not black and white.

I think this argument about “pure” mids, is kind of ridiculous. Looking at some of the best mids at the moment or last few years, Watson, Rockliff, Zorko, Gray, Ablett all played predominantly or exclusively forward at U18 level. Hell, did Zac play midfield? He certainly started with us up forward. Players are drafted on what they are expected to become, not what they are right now. Its why whoever generally wins the TAC B&F doesn’t get drafted. Its why a heap of the highest possession mids at U18 level don’t get drafted. Because they’re not seen as being able to take it to the next level.

Its not like this is revisionism by the recruiting staff. On the day of the 2016 draft, Dodoro was describing every player taken as going into the midfield.

I also think you’re building a strawman with the comments around having a hole in the midfield if we don’t take pure midfielders. Hardly any draftees are ready to go straight into the midfield. Guys like SPP, Selwood, Oliver and Wines are exceptions, not the rule. Guys who come in and have an immediate impact are usually playing flanks - good examples for us are Heppel and Zerrett who both started their first two seasons outside the midfield. Planning for any draftee to impact next year is a foolish element to assume in an 18 year old kid - it can be the “cream” that they’ll be ready, but should never be the goal. So I just don’t see our 2017 drafting impacting our 2018 midfield. For better or worse, from a drafting point of view, our 2018 and 2019 midfield hopes are resting on the results of our 2012 to 2016 drafting.

Obviously a way around this is via trading/FA, which I am very open to for the right player(s).

4 Likes

It’s just a discussion. No arguing from what i can see. I personally find it great to read different views/perspectives on how everyone see’s our team and it’s future.

Anyway back on topic.

I can understand 100% why you(crazy bomber) would argue Langford might not be a pure mid. I am more stating how i think the club see’s him. I’m not sold on him as a pure mid- but then again i haven’t seen him played enough in that part of the ground when playing in the 1’s.

Absolutely he will.

Gary Buckenara suggesting on the herald sun we could look at Anthony Miles. He’s a more than handy clearance player who is not getting a run at all. Only 25 years old.

There is a reason he isn’t getting a run. Very ordinary footballer

2 Likes

He also said Dusty, Kelly, Hopper, Devon Smith…

Don’t want to have to cheer for a ducking cheat.

If we were interested in someone like Miles, we’d be playing Bird.

4 Likes

This “pure mid” idea is a furphy.

Every single player on that list started their career outside the midfield or have spent considerable time playing elsewhere. Bird, Hocking and Howlett are the only ones who’ve never really showed much outside of the midfield and they’re the most limited players in that list.

2 Likes