Midfield Woes: Instant fix

Not today, But he’s an obvious target. No doubt we will be linked to Jack Martin again, a player I like but another who needs service.

This morning, Garry Lyon was saying we should be targeting him. You’re not hairy Garry are you?

But I agree he is an obvious target

1 Like

3 Likes

GARRRRY KNOWS HOW TO GIF

3 Likes

Is Petracca contracted?

We dont need another half forward

From memory, we were rumoured to be into Sier on draft night and that was the reason Collingwood jumped early on a kid who hadn’t played TAC cup or been invited to either Nation or State combines.

He and Rupert Wills seem to be very similar players and the Pies have tended to favour the older Wills, although neither of them have played a game so far this year

Sier wasn’t professional by all accounts for his first couple of years. There was big word over the 2018 pre-season that the penny had dropped and he was doing all the right things off field finally. It took him a little over half the season but once he got into the team he wasn’t dropped for the rest of 2018.

Come 2019 he got injured at the wrong time and now will have to force his way into the team again. I have no doubt by mid year he’ll probably be back in there and all this talk will go away.

Which is a shame, I’d like him at EFC.

If we had our time again:
McGrath/ Shiel
Vs
Taranto/ Neale

1 Like

BB has an obsession with big bodied mids. I want a mid who has excellent foot skills.

5 Likes

We just dropped him.

2 Likes

And an elite tank, or preferably all 3

Langford’s game wouldn’t be any different if he was 180cm

Dangerfield is poor by foot but can win games on his own

Except Sier is not Dangerfield. I would classify Dangerfield’s kicking as average.

I thought the name of that song was we don’t need another hero ……… we do.

1 Like

No hesitation. I would’ve gone him over McGrath.

Daniel Kerr gives Woosha and Dons’ misfiring midfield a tip

Travis King

John Worsfold and Daniel Kerr had a long relationship at West Coast

Woosha’s the greatest leader of men I think amongst AFL coaches
Daniel Kerr

JOHN Worsfold is the right man to lead winless Essendon, but the under-pressure coach needs help, former West Coast champion Daniel Kerr says.

Kerr, part of arguably the greatest midfield of all time under Worsfold in the mid-2000s, believes the Bombers can quickly get back on track and texted his former mentor offering advice ahead of a crucial clash with bottom-placed Melbourne.

“I said to him ‘you’ve got to teach your midfield to do the little things in a game, the little simple things’, because they’re so important,” Kerr told the Coast to Coast podcast.

"It’s the first bit of advice I’ve ever offered ‘Woosha’ and he’s given me a fair bit – and always good advice.

“Watching the ball and keeping your eye on the ball is probably the most simple thing you can teach.”

After luring star Dylan Shiel to join an engine room featuring Zach Merrett, Dyson Heppell, Devon Smith and David Zaharakis, the Bombers were expected to be big improvers but have looked spiritless.

“They’re so stagnant in the way that they play with each other, they’re literally men on a ground that aren’t moving for each other or aren’t telling each other where to go,” Kerr said.

“You can actually do that without actually saying anything, you can do that by the way that you run or the way that the ball moves.”

Kyle Langford’s brainfade against St Kilda has come to symbolise Essendon’s muddled 0-2 start, with the young midfielder running to the interchange bench for his rotation instead of staying involved with the play.

“You have to know where the ball is at all times. I don’t think that symbolises the problems with Essendon at all,” Kerr said.

"I just think that they aren’t doing the simple things well, which is easy to fix.

“I don’t think Essendon is in dire trouble as is getting reported.”

The Bombers rallied from a slow start last year, storming home from 2-6 and falling only a win and percentage short of finals.

Kerr, who played 12 of his 13 seasons under Worsfold and twice finished runner-up in the Brownlow Medal, backed his 2006 premiership coach to resurrect Essendon’s campaign.

“Woosha’s the greatest leader of men I think amongst AFL coaches, but I don’t think he’s the greatest tactician,” Kerr said.

"As far as things that are cutting edge and looking at your side and going ‘well, this is the best way for this side to play’, that’s not his best attribute in my belief.

"If he can find someone to work that out, then teach him, he is the best guy to teach them (the players), because the players buy into Woosha.

"They buy into everything he says and he leads them in the right direction.

"Essendon are just not in sync at the minute.

“Woosha is the man to do it, but he has got to get the men to help him.”

2 Likes

I read that article. Now more concerned.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right Daniel.