Midlife Crisis

Melbourne. Live in Essendon…

PM me

Were you not previously in Perth? I may be able to help if you want to move back.

Women get a divorce, big payout and never look back.

lesson. if married have your midlife crisis before she does.

1 Like

I was in the West. My preference would be to remain in Melbourne however for the right opportunity I’d consider going back…

1 Like

Is there any benefit to staying until 10 years? In Vic I think that’s when you get long service leave.

So, stay another year, tee up a few speculative jobs during that time. Take a 3 month paid vacation, then look for a new job.

Or just get paid out 3 months when you leave if you don’t take it with you.

Pro rata after 7?

Correct. My brother is an accountant so he’s all over it. A week’s wages per every 60 weeks of employment for over 7 years of continuous service. But you can only take LSL after 10 years, so for me that would be a little less than 18 months…

Not always like this. I worked for 7.5 years at a company but didn’t get paid lsl pro rata when I resigned. Was furious when I found out that I could take the lsl after the seven years. Would have maybe taken a break before telling them I ain’t coming back.

Adams says the initial move as harder than he expected. “l’ve only recently understood how opposed to the move my wife was.” He now says he would recommend it to anybody. “In the depths of middle age, just upping sticks and going somewhere else to reinvent your life and start again. It’s very invigorating.”

• Douglas Adams, Prologue page xxviii, The Salmon of Doubt.

My own adventure has taken a twist or few since l posted not so long ago, and not all of them are for the better. I will explain shortly, but for now, l am in need of some BLitz legal eagle to help. As Pink Floyd said in a menacing voice, “Is there anybody out there?”

Well this time last week I got made redundant. Pretty ordinary feeling, someone else got given the boot on the Monday. Always a bad look when HR and the GM are in the office as they usually were stationed at our other facility. As soon as I got a tap on the shoulder to go in the boardroom, I knew what was coming. Didn’t hang around, just picked up my personal effects and got out of there. Still a bit surreal one week on, with Easter it probably hasn’t 100% sunk in. Got a pretty decent payout, about 9 months worth of salary when you total It all up (Redundancy, LSL, AL). Have a meeting tomorrow with a careers advisor the FX have put me onto. Hopefully can find something pretty quickly…

6 Likes

Good luck dude. Could end up working as a positive

Copped that myself back in '03. We took over a company in the same industry, and all their guys, including two useless vastly-overpaid UK imports, took the main gigs.

Sorry to hear mate, redundancies can be bitter sweet - hang in there, it all works out in the end.

If the Career Advisor is ‘Directioneering’ I highly recommend them.

If it isnt, I still reckon its worth going through the process for CV advice, career planning etc

I copped a redundancy 3 years ago with a decent payout. It was a +ve outcome in the end. Was looking for work for 2 months. Trick was to treat this as another job & devote a chunk of each day to networking / Seek / CV / applications etc… It can be a bit soul-destroying, so make sure you take time to enjoy the balance of the day, everyday. Having read many CVs & been the interviewer many times, I’d also recommend tailoring your CV to the position desc / key selection criteria of each job you are serious about. Make it easy for the reader to put your CV on the ‘maybe’ pile.

1 Like

This mob are called Rise Smart. I submitted my resume and they’ve re-written it. Looks pretty decent and far more pleasing on the eye. They’ve sent through a couple of handpicked roles based on my experience, etc so will apply over the coming days, certainly after I’ve seen them tomorrow.

3 Likes

Still looking for a full-time gig. I’ve managed to pick up some contract work starting next Wednesday at a Print Management place in Port Melbourne, however it’s only for one day a week which barely covers my weekly rent. Applied for a role that is was more than qualified for, asked in for an interview, all very positive. They checked my references who gave a glowing endorsement only for them to fill the vacancy internally. A very frustrating time and it’s very hard to stay positive…

Are you a data analyst? Sorry forgot what your line of work is.

Yeah, that’s what I’m aiming to get into, but right now I’m open to anything…

Are you looking at the APS Gazette? Most departments are looking for data analysts. Most have temporary employment registers too.