Midlife Crisis

Best of luck! It’s hard to find full time work.

I employ data analysts. But in Sydney smooth.

PM me your details with a CV.

3 Likes

No, I never even heard of it! Will take a look, thanks for the suggestion.

There is an art form applying for government jobs. Happy to look over your application as I have sat on a number of APS panels.

1 Like

https://www.apsjobs.gov.au

Threads like this bring out the best of bomberblitz.

16 Likes

Also some data analysis roles available in the Victorian Public Service - might be easier to find a position based in Melbourne.

https://jobs.careers.vic.gov.au/

True, but lots of Cth departments have a presence in states/territories.

1 Like

Good luck @smooth. Stick it out mate, it’ll come eventually.

I ■■■■■■■ hate that. I went for two jobs and were turned down for both because they went internally. Most of the time they do because they csnt br ■■■■■■ training someone new.

I dont work near that field so I cant offer you anything, unfortunately. What about start ups? Or the companies that do the online live chat? (Not @Stallion version)

2 Likes

For mine, this pretty much sums it up.

Late 90s/early 00s, I was living a yuppie lifestyle in Bayside Melbourne. Lived with my best mate. Had a high-paying corporate gig. Worked hard, and partied even harder. Insouciant lifestyle that was a lot of fun (for a while). As time went on, I started to realise that I wasn’t truly happy in my job, however, the money was masking this, as it financed a hedonistic lifestyle. But, the reality is, you spend more time at work than anywhere else, so you might as well find what it is that you enjoy doing and go from there. If the job doesn’t exist, create it.

I could feel the desire for change snowballing and suppressed it for as long as I could. One evening, I was having post-work drinks in the city with other corporate knobs such as myself and I ran into an older bloke. Late 50s. Looked like he had come straight from Goa via an endless summer surfing the world. Long hair, disheveled appearance and with a really laid-back vibe about him. Had a chinwag over a few beers and our conversation pretty much changed the course of my life. He had travelled extensively. Worked in several countries in different careers before venturing out on his own and successfully building a number of profitable companies. Had made millions, lost them, and made them back. Regaled me with his hectic adventure stories. I realised that I had no interesting stories in my life. I was just a bat-■■■■ boring yuppie. What would I tell my grandkids someday?

Soon after, I ditched my career and to the bewilderment of my boss, family, mates, etc I packed up and moved to Tokyo, Japan, to teach English. On less than half the pay. Early doors, I had plenty of doubts and was fairly homesick for a while. But, I started to develop some inner confidence that I could venture out into the world and survive. I met so many crazy cats - many of them were mad talented. We all hooked up and collaborated on many cool projects in our free time. I DJ’ed at a Club in Tokyo with my mates and we launched an underground streetwear brand - that enjoyed success for a decade (and also taught me to be wary of mixing mates and business).

After about 3 years teaching English and on my 30th BD, I decided to go out on my own. I kept teaching, but broadened my horizons and started doing some corporate training and management consulting work. Absolutely loved it. Having to solicit all the work, create innovative programs that my clients would benefit from, travel, etc. I was inundated with work and spent the next 5 years working 6-day, 90-hour weeks. As much as I loved it, I started experiencing health problems (obviously) from such an insane workload. My Japanese wife was pregnant with our first child at the time, so it was a good time to re-evaluate everything and cut down on the work. Then, a mag-9 earthquake and nuclear radiation crisis hit.

There was so much uncertainty at that time. I bailed to Osaka with my 7-month pregnant wife and stayed there until things cooled down. But, I lost 90% of my business while this was going on. I remember smashing the beers at an okonomiyaki joint in Osaka and thinking ‘What the fck am I gunna do now? How am I gunna provide for my family?’ We returned to Tokyo and I gradually rebuilt my business. My son was born and I decided to cut back my work to 3 days per week and spend the other days being a Mr. Mom and raising my son as a bilingual child. I also wrote and published two books in that time - both much more successful than I had ever imagined. So, that is what I have been doing over the past 7 years and now that my son is in Primary School (from this year), I have started cranking up the work again (except that I am spending way too much time on Blitz).

At 42, I feel incredibly blessed to have the lifestyle I want. But, it required a leap of faith and a desire to move out of my comfort zone. Make bold decisions that make you happy. And understand that each and every one of us have so much more potential (skills, abilities, etc) than we realise. Everything works out in the end, however, you have to leap out of bed each day and do what makes you happy.

Back to the DJ King thread. Soz for the long, self-indulgent rant. I just wanted to make the point that change is possible and should be embraced rather than feared, especially if in pursuit of happiness. The journey is the reward, but there is good stuff at the end as well.

34 Likes

Reading this brought a massive smile to my face. Thanks kindly for sharing, Captain Jack. Arigatou.

1 Like

Jacks was all time.

Yours is a decent story too. One day your going to be that old guy having a beer with a lost young dude. Dispelling words of wisdom.

1 Like

Ha, ha. Thanks, mate. Looking forward to passing that baton along (feel bad about the ‘no’ vote to your last song now). :laughing:

Hmm, things have changed drastically over the last few months, since l posted. Life is once more in a state of flux, and l will need to compose an update. More to come. As for change? Embrace it!

4 Likes

Trust everything is OK, CJ. Reach out, man.

2 Likes

Traditionally, dont blokes Midlife crisis’ revolve around affairs with blondes and ludicrously purchased sports cars or Harley’s?

Well, I’m not in an affair. I can’t stand Harley’s. And I’ve always bought motorcycles so thats nothing new really. But today, I put a payment down on a long-held dream. As long as the motorcycling gods smile upon me, this is intended to be the last ever new motorcycle I buy.

1965, meet the 2018 version (sans oil leaks and Lucas blackouts - hopefully). I don’t feel like I’m in crisis, but I do struggle with self centeredness of all this. Fortunately, my better half loves bikes too.

10 Likes

Beautiful sal. A bit jealous over here.

Although it’s a bit cheeky of Triumph to steal the Thruxton name from Velocette.

2 Likes

not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone else not have many friends?
i’m in my mid twenties and stay home most weekends
even though i work full time in an office it gets depressing
anyone else know this feeling?
i have friends i keep in touch with from high school but i don’t really see them often

That’s sad to hear @Donnington.

Perhaps (if you want to) post this in The Mental Health thread.