Midlife Crisis

Just hang in there and be happy with where you are. There is no blueprint, nor any one size fits all.

And no matter who you are, and what you have, those feelings will come and go your whole life.

10 Likes

Try not to anticipate too much bad stuff. It will distract you from enjoying life.

@smooth - awesome stuff, buddy. Congrats on the new gig & all the very best.

3 Likes

Perhaps look at it differently. Take the opportunity to look at where youā€™ve come from and where you want to go. Then ask yourself different questions.

What do I want to achieve from here?
What do I need to help me and my family achieve this?
Do I have the right people on my ā€˜teamā€™?

Weā€™re questioning by nature. Use this time to set yourself and your family up for the next stage.

3 Likes

Some of you take life very seriously.

Not sure I have ever had any life crises, or really got into a rut. But then again, I regularly change Wives and that keeps excitement levels high.

So I guess my only advice is, if something is getting you down, eliminate it from your life and move on.

And I am always up for a drink somewhere if anyone needs company, even you Donnington.

13 Likes

I took up running marathons.
Having selfish personal goals narrows your focus, also in a sport where age isnā€™t a huge barrier as everyone new to the sport can run personal bests.

1 Like

I would argue Houli One, that while ā€œbeing selfishā€ is viewed as a poor human trait, that unless you are selfish, you will never be happy. And it does follow that if you are not happy, hence miserable, then you are practically useless to everyone around you.

And taking up Marathons at any age, doesnā€™t fit my idea of fun. Each to their own.

Just donā€™t go volunteer for a political party handing out flyers on Election Day. The abuse is not worth it.

2 Likes

Yes it is

1 Like

there is no normal.

fortunes? made/lost at any age from 18 to 85.
done with life? there is like 7 billion of us. dont think about it so hard. achieving stuff is nice. having achieved something is just about taking personal satisfaction.

Im 40, divorced, no kids and have an ex trying to pull away any wealth iā€™ve accumulated. Its actually a process which has set me free. Never felt so alive and one could assume I aint ā€œachievedā€ anything.

Embrace the pleasures of existence, the interesting details of what seems mundane at first and forget about your age. work hard not long.

oh and exercise a little or a lot through sports with others or even in solitude. just the best thing ever.

11 Likes

Cheers for the replies guys. Definately good starting places.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this kind of thinking, always helps to make me forget about worrying about getting that $$$ and focus on enjoying life. Youā€™re never too old to make your life what you want it to be, or at least die trying.

2 Likes

For those worried about getting older, donā€™t.

Iā€™m 40+ and I just went for a kick of the footy and a little roll at the skatepark.

Only about 5% of the intensity I wouldā€™ve done 20 years ago, but its good to get out and have a bit of fun.

5 Likes

Iā€™m 41 and still play baseball every weekend. Regular sport and social interaction with a group of guys and girls who vary in age from 16 to 50+ is fantastic. Also Iā€™m coaching my 10yo sonā€™s baseball team which is great fun too. I got to play in the same baseball team with my dad when I was 16 and then again when I was about 30 and he was 60. I probably didnā€™t appreciate it as a teenager but it meant the world to both of us when I did it the second time around. Itā€™s one of the main reasons Iā€™m hoping my son sticks with it, so I can play in the same team as him when heā€™s old enough to play in a senior team.

My dad stopped playing baseball two years after we played together as he had to have a hip replacement (a result of an injury from a tree branch falling on him in a storm many years ago as well as having run marathons for many years). Once he couldnā€™t play baseball anymore, he looked around for something to do to keep active and decided to join my mum doing dragon-boat racing (my mum had got involved through a breast-cancer survivor group called Dragons Abreast). A few years later at the ripe old age of 67 my dad won 3 gold medals and a silver representing Australia in the Grand-Masters category at the World Dragon-boating Championships in Hungary. Heā€™s a retired maths teacher, who still tutors VCE students, does volunteer work recording reading the newspaper for vision-impaired folks, as well regularly looking after my kids and my nieces, coaches the Geelong Dragon Boat club, rides his bike, gardens, and writes short stories he would like to get published. My mumā€™s pretty good too (I may be somewhat biased).

TLDR summary - youā€™re never to old to do new things or to make a difference in your own or other peopleā€™s lives. If you have your doubts or arenā€™t sure what to do, start small. Go for a jog, walk the dog, visit the local Mens Shed. Just give it a go and youā€™ll be surprised how welcoming people can be and what an impact that can have on you.

5 Likes

LOL at 40 being old.

Now these blokes are old; taken just before the 1965 GF, 53 years ago, so before you 40 somethings were born. One of these Mates died some years go, but the rest are alive and kicking. Two still run Marathons, one is crazy still climbing on all the largest mountains. while I am just trying to add to my Wife portfolio.

We only really agree on one thing, and that is that life is to be lived, and he who dares wins !

5 Likes

Kenā€™s hairline has gone to God though.

And so has mine and most of the boys in the photos. Actually Ken looks better now than most of us do.

2 Likes

If this is a Bacchusfox guessing competition, Iā€™m going for the kid on the top right with the Prince Charles ears.

1 Like

Iā€™d guess middle top row, what do we win if we get it right?

Iā€™m guessing far left, because he doesnā€™t look happy and seems like the person thatā€™d give him a hard time.

Didnā€™t know there were any older skaters here. I took it up again when I was around 40 and still skate quite a lot at 53. Itā€™s a great outlet for focussing the mind and clearing it of other thoughts. Those little achievements and progressions you make can be great for self esteem. Itā€™s been better for me than any amount of money.

6 Likes