Miscellaneous VFL comments and articles

Almost orangey.

Just checking the scores and see that Frankston won their first game of the year with a belting of the Tin Rattlers

I wandered down on our bye weekend and watched Frankston take it right up to Port Melbourne for a half before getting blown away late - theyā€™re nowhere near the pushover people think they are so I wasnā€™t as surprised as most when they beat North on the weekend (though was a bit surprised at the margin). Happy for them to get a win, always tough for those involved when you canā€™t crack it for that first win for a while as our girls found out last year.

3 Likes

Drums would have been beating loud that day.

Being a SANFL tragic over here I also understand just what the stand alone sides are up against and how tough they do it so I take my hat off to them.

2 Likes

Good thing we got them in round one, then! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Franga go on to lose their next game by 89 pointsā€¦

Anyone know the details of the 23rd man rule in 2019? Canā€™t find it and whether weā€™ll lose Bowman shortly. At least weā€™ve seen Goetz can be OK against non-top-level competition.

A mid-ish season summary of where we stand (or do not stand) in the individual stats.

Disposals: no one in top ten (Myers would be top 3 if he hadnā€™t arrived late).

Goals: no one in top ten

Marks: Dea is sixth with 59 (leader has 70).

Tackles: no one in top ten

Kicks: Hartley is eighth with 143 (leader has 188)

Handballs: Clarke is ninth with 118 (leader is 200).

Hit outs: no one in top ten.

For comparison, top-of-the-ladder Richmond have two spots in the top tens.

A similar comparison is in the VFLW thread (where we have a few notable standouts).

2 Likes

Apparently the current rule is the 23rd man spot can be used four times by an individual. Bowman did that, and we have signed him to the main list. I gather this means he canā€™t return to the TAC Cup, but right now he looks pretty established in the team for the rest of the year.

The VFL team have been searching for another ruck to sign up, but no luck (worth taking) to date.

3 Likes

Sandringham are OP enough as it is, we need him more than they do in the 18s haha

The VFL Bombers have added young ruckman Riley Bowman to their list, signing the 19-year-old ahead of the June 30 deadline last week.

The former NAB League Sandringham Dragon has already played a handful of matches for Essendon this past month, including a standout performance against Port Melbourne.

In the 69-point triumph, Bowman recorded 36 hitouts, 17 disposals, five marks and five tackles, earning him a spot in the round 12 VFL Team of the Week.

From his five Essendon VFL matches, the 200cm youngster has averaged 12.6 disposals, 3.6 marks and 17.6 hitouts while tallying two goals.

Senior coach Dan Jordan is looking forward to seeing how Bowman continues to develop.

ā€œI suppose around Rileyā€™s development it (was a choice) of what would be better for him ā€“ playing under-18s NAB League or playing VFL footy at 19 years old against some really seasoned guys,ā€ Jordan said.

ā€œThere was an opportunity there, so speaking with Riley it wasnā€™t just a list spot to fill, it was more an opportunity for him to play more VFL footy in the back half of the year.

ā€œWe wanted to give Riley that opportunity to develop himself further and I think he has showed some really good signs playing in our program in the last four or five weeks ā€“ thereā€™s some things to work on which Riley is aware of, but thereā€™s also some really good things that we like about him.

ā€œHeā€™s fitted into our system pretty seamlessly and competes hard for us, so we hope he can play some good footy for us in the back half of the season.ā€

Bowmanā€™s signing fills the list spot left vacant by departing speedster Ray Connellan, who returned home to Ireland last month.

Brooke Varney is in the final year of her Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) degree at RMIT University. As part of their strategic partnership, Essendon Football Club and RMIT University are committed to providing opportunities for students, staff, players and the wider community.

5 Likes

Disappointing that he didnā€™t get more game time playing along side Draper (or an overtaken Bellchambers)

Donā€™t mind the look of this Liam Wale Buxton for the dees.
23-24yo ruckman, solid unit, rucks well and goes well when it hits the dirt. Listed as 195cm /100kg but seems to have a decent leap, takes a grab and his skills look solid.
Has been stuck behind Preuss. last year they had a few 19-20yo useless beanpoles
Ex Vermont and Tiwi Bomber kid

195cm ainā€™t big enough for a ruck in my opinion.

Not a full timer, no.
Heā€™d be a fwd/ruck at AFL level

Frankston are torching Box Hill, albeit helped by a big wind advantage.

They lead 44-1 at quarter time. 40kph average wind straight down the long guts of Frankston Oval, according to the BOM.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60901/IDV60901.94871.shtml

Second quarter: SHUT IT DOWN.

Franga lead 8.2.50 to 5.9.39 at half-timeā€¦ wind speed is dropping.

1 Like

Franga hold on 84-59 four minutes into the last.

1 Like

Dawks double their score in the last quarter and win 102-84 :frowning: