Miscellaneous VFL comments and articles

SANFL HOT CHIP REPORT - NORTH ADELAIDE

After enjoying last night’s win in the heart of the Adelaide members I ventured to the inner northern suburb of North Adelaide to watch some local SANFL and embrace the locals once more.

I picked the perfect time to queue for hot chips. People who were queuing for chips were delighted to see a generous portion of fresh chips put into the bain-marie.

Whilst the locals most definitely do not exhibit the affluent behaviour of the surrounding neighbourhoods the chips on the other hand do. They are offered with a generous serve of gravy should one choose to partake.

Once received these chips were filled generously around the rim (that’s what she said) and were perfectly crunchy fresh from the oil. A light splattering of tomato sauce and regular salt made the experience enjoyable.

7/10 with points taken off for the empty chicken salt canister. But fancy gravy leveled it at a 7 for me.

Not bad S.A not bad.

7 Likes

The ‘no chicken salt’ elevates them to 12/10 for mine.

You went to the wrong game. Wooden spooners v an artificial blow in side.
Should have come to the Parade today, chips are hot and the Coopers is going down a treat

Well I have quite a few Crows mates so didn’t have a choice really. I would have gone to that one it no Crows game.

How weird (and unfair) is the Bye Round schedule for VFL teams. The last two weeks of h&a have a total of 8 teams with a bye. How do they work that out? For teams playing in VFL finals it’s a great advantaged. It would also help stand alone clubs senior teams in finals contention.

1 Like

With all the changes being thrown around in the thread for the Suns, I fear for the composition of our VFL side. Depth being seriously challenged.

Yep, especially with the next game being Willy @ Willy.

Preuss with just the 59 hitouts, 24 kicks, 8 marks and a goal as Casey knock off Werribee.

1 Like

Why the ■■■■ did this guy go to Melbourne?

Was the best financial offer I believe.
And absolutely the worst footballing offer.

1 Like

With just three senior games to his name so far, young forward-turned-defender Daniel Hanna is excited to be part of the VFL Dons as they near the finals series.

The 19-year-old made his debut back in round 19 last season against Geelong, and won 21 touches as a key defender.

“Initially it was a pretty big step up from TAC Cup (now NAB League) to VFL last year. It was a bit quicker-paced, but also took a bit of time to adapt to the style and contested ball because you’re playing on bigger bodies,” the former Calder Cannon said.

“I’m obviously not the biggest bloke, but I was just happy to get that first one out of the way. When I came into the side this year, I sort of knew what was going on (with the play) and wasn’t as nervous.”

Hanna found his way back into the side two weeks ago after signing at the start of this year, averaging 13 disposals and five marks so far.

He’s been working closely with backline coach and former Essendon fan favourite Ricky Dyson, who has been helping the youngster with his development.

“I’ve been trying to work on my defensive craft with Ricky. I used to play up forward a lot, but now as a defender I’m probably still a bit too aggressive - like playing off my man, and trying to go for marks.

“Last week against Williamstown, we got chopped up pretty bad as a defensive group so we’re trying to work more on our one-on-one contests rather than have everyone fly up (for the ball)."

Hanna is finding his feet at VFL level in 2019. (Photo: Ben Johnstone)

Hanna was also part of the James Hird Academy, and during this time formed a close relationship with current vice-captain Heath Hocking.

“I went through the Academy last year, and when Heath came on board it was great because I hadn’t really had a mentor like him,” Hanna said.

“Obviously he had just retired but was still playing state league footy at a high level, and having just come out of the AFL system he knew a lot more than what I had really experienced before.

“He helped me with my craft throughout the year, and I was lucky enough to play down at Geelong with him in my first game – he presented my jumper to me as well which was pretty special.”

Since then, Hanna has juggled his footy with work and study commitments.

“I’m at La Trobe (University) studying psychology and neuroscience, but I also work part-time at two jobs – mainly at a café in the city but also helping pack boxes at a hair product company part-owned by my cousin.

“In my first year at uni, I did it part-time so it was pretty easy to manage, but (I switched to full-time) because now I just want to get it over and done with. It’s been tough sometimes but I’m just trying to get it done so I don’t have to worry about it.

“It’s nothing too crazy, but works well with my footy.”

As the VFL home-and-away season nears a close, with finals just around the corner, Hanna says the bond the group shares is a bonus to the on-field success.

“Everyone at the club is really happy with how we’re going, and because we’re winning everyone is all up and about and really positive at training.

Hanna (right, No.53) says there’s a tight bond at the Bombers. (Photo: Ben Johnstone)

“I think that bond takes us into playing our best footy every week, because no matter who comes in or out, we all trust each other and know the strengths of one another.”

Brooke Varney is in the final year of her Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) degree at RMIT University. As part of their strategic partnership, Essendon Football Club and RMIT University are committed to providing opportunities for students, staff, players and the wider community.

5 Likes

No Essendon VFL teams have been invited to the VFL combine this year, as Nick Hind was last year.

But speaking of last year’s men, Joel Ottavi has been invited.

Port Melbourne will be the main VFL(W) final venue again this year, but the grand final will be at Princes Park.

@Paul_Cousins if we beat Footscray this week and likely lock in a top two spot, do we have anywhere to host a VFL home final? I think the EDFL has Windy Hill fully booked?

Pretty sure we take priority there, but we’re a fair way off being at that point still. One week at a time and all that…

1 Like

Have heard from a Norwood official that Port Melbourne and Williamstown are in talks to join the SANFL in 2021

Huh!?

1 Like

That seems weird

1 Like

Apparently the AFL reserves comp idea has been canned but the 4 Northern clubs want to leave the NEAFL and play in the VFL which would leave it as basically an Eastern AFL reserves comp. Ports and Willy don’t think it’s in their best interest to remain in the VFL and not be able to be competitive so have approached the SANFL in regards to joining

2 Likes

Can’t imagine that would be a cheap exercise. Who is going to underwrite those costs. Certainly won’t be the AFL as the next level of footy is not of any interest to them.

They already travel to Darwin and between QLD and NSW in the NEAFL so I’d assume the AFL would only be too happy to throw a bit of money behind the idea if it makes the Northern sides better. Think you would see a lot more curtain raisers aswell