Miscellaneous VFL comments and articles

How will the AFL listed players get better if they aren’t selected for games? Only so much you can do in match simulation… seems like it will stifle development of kids.

There are going to be regular AFL reserves matches. Some occurred last weekend. We didn’t play in one because reasons. Why we wouldn’t have played Norf I have no idea: well, actually I do. Because fark you, that’s why.

3 Likes

So our VFL program officially ended for the year yesterday with the announcement of the standalone league, and although it was not a shock given the public commentary over the last month or so I feel shocked and very saddened.

I feel shocked that there has been no acknowledgement whatsoever from the club. No email to the fans, no tweet acknowledging those that now don’t have a season or a job….nothing.

I do understand that despite being reassured constantly how important members and supporters are we actually sit pretty low in the pecking order and it may be that the club has been in constant communication with the VFL staff players and officials throughout but @PaulCousins has been pretty quick to keep us in the loop throughout his tenure and he’s been notably absent in this discussion since the COVID19 restrictions.

I’ve seen a lot of people asking the club on twitter what’s going on with the program so you’d suspect they’ll probably say something soon, but can’t believe they didn’t put out a statement yesterday thanking everyone involved and clarifying the situation for the fans.
NOT #everyonematters

7 Likes

Fair post. What happens to our vfl listed players this year? Do they get no football at all? And the staff? I’d like to know too

1 Like

Yep. The more I think about it the angrier I get. For the last few years I’ve gotten so much enjoyment attending VFL games, they had great functions that were affordable for all and we always ran into a few senior players for a chat. More than that though, it felt like my footy club to the the point that if there were a VFL membership available I would have bought one…no question.

I’m worried this may be the death of VFL as we know it tbh and that makes me very sad.

2 Likes

I have a VFLW add on, and I (naively) thought that would get me info about the team. No, as the majority of the Comms only went to the EWN , not those with the add on…

1 Like

I wish I was suprised. Personally I have no interest in the VFLW but I know plenty here do. The club could at least feign interest.

Everyone has known for a very long time that the VFL was not going to involve us this year.

The VFLW was less publicly clear.

1 Like

Time for a break away league!!

I’m not sure there was a loop to be in this time, but if there was I unfortunately wasn’t really in it. Whilst you’re right the program not going ahead wasn’t a shock given the noises in the media over the last little while, it was still definitely a bit of a smack in the mouth.

Not sure what to say here - disappointed the program isn’t going ahead this year while understanding why; gutted for everyone (coaches, staff, players & voly’s) who put in so much hard work doing the entire preseason before we got shut down; disappointed that the great program we’ve managed to build and maintain over the past 5 or so years isn’t getting a crack this year, hope we can get everyone back if there’s a program next year. This year will be the first time in my 6 years as President we haven’t played finals, but I’m taking a mulligan given the situation.

I’m hoping the club might still post something on their social channels publicly acknowledging the end of the program for the year and those involved in it, but as time continues to pass it’s looking less likely, I tweeted something on my personal account a couple of days ago.
If anyone has any questions I’m happy to try to answer them as best I can, though as mentioned I really haven’t been in any conversations either leading to the program finishing or regarding the future beyond hoping that there is one.

15 Likes

Thanks Paul for sharing what you can. As stated before, I think we all feel a little disappointed in the way this has handled (although we knew it was coming).

Fingers crossed for next season and beyond.

1 Like

This is scary… if I’ve read it right

1 Like

Thanks for the update Paul.
One question. You say " hope we can get everyone back if there’s a program next year". I think you posted something similar on twitter. Are there suggestions there won’t be a VFL team next year or are you saying if simply because it’s too early to tell what could be happening

1 Like

I think he means all of the individuals, including guys who were newly signed to us this year.

EDIT: sorry, I skipped past the “if” clause at the end of that sentence.

1 Like

Yep. And you have to take into account that the club hasn’t even had the decency to even speak to all these. Very poor effort.

The latter @aboods, from what we were told last night the club’s preference is to have a VFL program next year, it’s just too early to know how it’s all going to play out with the footy landscape so up in the air.

1 Like

It’s a real shame because we are/were in the VFL premiership window just like all the good teams were before they went on to win the AFL flag

I heard we don’t even need to win the VFL premiership any more to guarantee the AFL premiership the next year.

1 Like

Don’t know about scary I just didn’t know any more than any other punter, which doesn’t make for much of a change :laughing:

You may need to improve your comprehension skills.