Miscellaneous VFL comments and articles

Oh wow that is fkd up!

Dodgy bastards

They very nearly got it done for Southport too, thankfully we repelled that last fwd attempt.

3 Likes

Honestly at the second highest level in the country, how can we not supply a timekeeper? Additionally, heads should roll over that extra three minutes.

I’d be deducting premiership points from Southport.

5 Likes

And people want smaller lists and kids developing via state leagues.

That cap doesn’t pay for two AFL rookies.

3 Likes

I am reading this right.

Essendon VFL can spend $110,000 on players on its list ?

If this is correct, it is about 20% of what our local clubs in the Marsh spend on players.

3 Likes

It’s a ridiculous system.

3 Likes

So why do these blokes play there ? Are they all just Bomber lovers ?

I imagine there’s a few who want a second shot at AFL, a few who love the chance to be in a “big league” regardless of cash, and a few who are happy to be paid a few hundred a week to do something they enjoy.

Edit: But yeah, if you want to be a semi-professional footballer it doesn’t seem to be the place to play.

I wonder if there are AFL level rough diamonds not being discovered for this reason? Or do scouts factor this in and go looking at local leagues?

@Paul_Cousins may (or may not) have more insight.

I am told there are some who play locally who get $50,000 a season. They are ex-AFL, and they still go OK, and I guess some pull in the crowd, but in my view blokes like Atley, Bernacki and Conforti are worth as much in the Ballarat League, but they obviously get much less in VFL.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a lot of blokes who’ll put in a big year at vfl level, cross their fingers for the draft, and go back to local footy if they don’t get picked up. Especially early 20s guys who still legit have hopes for an afl career and perhaps less job/family etc commitments. You can earn a fair bit more in local footy for a lot less work if you’re good enough at that level.

1 Like

And you might get a job, plus accommodation and/or car.

1 Like

Wacko scoring accuracy, but if you score 39 times you probably win regardless!

4 Likes

Did they get 14 of those behinds in the last 53 minutes of the quarter?

12 Likes

You’re reading it partially right. The $110k salary cap is for the VFL list, obviously guys who play VFL but are on the AFL list are paid in the AFL salary cap rather than the VFL salary cap, hence the difference in cap for AFL club VFL programs and standalone programs.

That’s a decent summation. There are a combination of factors as to why guys would choose to play VFL rather than take more cash playing locally. They include the most obvious one for former AFL players or guys who haven’t been drafted in that the state leagues are the best place for ‘second chance’ types to get drafted from. For others it might be the lure of getting into or staying in the AFL system for a potential coaching role going forward or similar, and of course for others like me who might’ve played juniors at a high level but for whatever reason weren’t up to being drafted it might be simply playing at the highest possible level you can for the achievement.

As to the latter part of your message, whilst some scouts might occasionally have a look at local footy, essentially once you’ve chosen to step out of a state league and back into local footy you’ve pretty much said you’re done trying to be an AFL player - very few players are drafted as mature age out of local leagues these days - though it does very occasionally still happen. For most ex-AFL types going local means letting go of the dream of making it back, or choosing to forego it.

Most of our best VFL listed players will go back for the odd game of local in bye rounds or whatever and earn multiple times what they earn at VFL level for doing so. It’s leading to a lot of early to mid 20’s players giving up the dream earlier than they probably used to when there was more money in the VFL.

8 Likes

It does seem a little crazy. Surely putting more money into our 2nd tier system should improve the quality of that system and thus improve the quality of the overall talent pool as well as make it a better proving/learning ground for those on AFL lists playing there.

4 Likes

I watched Darley play Ballarat in a Ballarat League Final a week or so ago. It was a higher standard than most of the AFL games that I saw this year. I am not sure that the current system works that well for VFL.

The four final teams of Casey, Brisbane, Soutport and Gold Coast must tell us something !!

1 Like

It’s a huge step up and a massive gulf still.
The worst VFL side would beat the best amateur league in Australia by some margin.
The secondary comps all need need decent funding or a genuine AFL reserves comp though. I think once the AFLW is more settled I think that will be the next thing the AFL looks at

1 Like

I am not so sure about that. There are some Country leagues and a few Suburban Leagues that have very good, well-coached teams. If you watched any Northern Bullants games in VFL, I reckon they would struggle against the best Teams in EDFL like Strathmore and Aberfeldie.

Suspect those who play at both levels would agree with @Aceman FWIW.

As to the overall situation, there’s been a LOT of money taken out of the VFL both from a league and club standpoint post covid - the reduction of the salary cap combined with the implementation of the soft cap governing footy departments means that spend on both players and staffing has been heavily reduced in a very short period of time. It’s good to see the league looking to take some steps to perhaps undo a little of the harsh correction from an overall point of view, but it’s still up to individual clubs as to what and how many resources from their soft caps they’re willing to commit to their VFL/development program and by extension how important they view it as being.

6 Likes

Speaking of I was really happy to read this morning that Harry Corrigan apparently won VFL the coach of the year at the Liston last night.

I was (and remain) a huge fan of Harry’s when he was with us and was really disappointed when he was let go during the covid shutdown. Casey made a smart decision hiring him and should be rewarded with a VFL flag this weekend - reckon he’s got the makings of a good senior coach one day if he chooses to go that way.

9 Likes