Miscellaneous VFLWomen comments and articles

At just 12 years old, Elise Muller was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.

Unlike any of the other kids in her class, she spent her days wondering why she didn’t fit in.

Muller had no idea that she would come to benefit from – and struggle with – autism in ways she had never expected.

“Initially, when I found out about my diagnosis, I was quite relieved, because I knew my whole life that I was different and I finally had a reason why,” Muller explained.

“There were things people could do naturally that I just didn’t understand and found exhausting.

“As I got older, I caught on that people were laughing at the things I was doing. It became something I was ashamed of. I felt trapped."

As a teenager, Muller was overwhelmed by the challenges of living with autism, bullied by her peers and excluded by her teachers for being “different”.

Changing schools seven times, she learnt first-hand the detriments that come from a lack of understanding.

“I had a very hard time through my education, school was pretty much hell for me.

“The world was scary to connect to and being odd made me a target to bullies at school.

“I was slammed into lockers. They took advantage of me because I was naïve and I didn’t really understand when people were joking around.

“My teachers didn’t really understand autism, they perceived me as the ‘naughty kid’ because they mistook my disobedience for me being a smart a***."

Struggling to cope, Muller withdrew herself from the world.

The once-confident teenager was barely recognisable, struggling to make friends and suffering from anxiety as a result of her academic difficulties.

“I didn’t see a future for myself because of my autism.

“I felt extremely lonely and I just wanted a friend."

Fiercely determined to make her own way through her nightmare, Muller found her connection with autism through sport, where she now represents Essendon’s VFLW team.

“Sport became my connection to the world I had always felt separate from.

“It became a way for me to disguise my autism. I was given the platform to be socially included and accepted and not be ashamed of what makes me different.

“The earliest thing I can remember is feeling out of tune with my body. But for the first time, just kicking around a ball, I was in control of something connecting to the outer world.”

Muller is in her first season in the red and black. (Photo: Ben Johnstone)

While Muller the teenager struggled in the classroom, she was always a standout on the sporting field.

She played representative soccer in the Victorian Women’s Premier League and was selected for Melbourne Victory’s Talented Player Program.

“I love soccer, it’s probably my main sport and something that I became really, really good at early on.

“But socially I didn’t find soccer was an accepted environment."

Despite being among the talented soccer players, Muller switched the round ball for a Sherrin at 18.

The emerging midfielder spent the vast majority of her footy career with the TAC Youth Girls State Academy, representing the Western Jets and the Calder Cannons.

Muller was also picked up by the Western Bulldogs’ VFLW team, before landing a spot on Essendon’s VFLW list this year.

“The stereotypes say people with autism aren’t good at sport, but this stigma fuelled me to take my footy practice to an elite level.

“Essendon is a lot more flexible with allowing me to implement my own strategies.

“They trust that I know how to self-manage (my autism) and they just really provide the space for me to do what needs to be done.

“There’s just an acceptance for diversity. It is not seen as different is less, it’s seen as diversity is our team strength and it is welcomed, rather than seen as a burden."

One of Essendon VFLW’s five Indigenous players, Muller has lauded the environment at the Bombers. (Photo: Ben Johnstone)

Overcoming her struggles with anxiety, Muller wanted to change the way people perceived autism.

Determined to make a difference at just 19, Muller founded her own social enterprise Active Support .

“I have created my own business educating and inspiring schools, sport clubs and the community to include, embrace and utilise people with a difference.

“Our needs need to be supported so the world can utilise our strengths. I am different but different doesn’t mean less.

“Every birthday, I would wish to one day be able to ‘buy a friend’ so I could finally have someone to play with. This became my inspiration very early on.

“I have created what I needed when I was growing up: someone who was like me and who accepted themselves. And now I’ve become that person I looked up to, who is on the spectrum and proud to be."

An inspiration to all around her, Muller has been recognised nationally for her dedication to creating an understanding of inclusivity of autism and disabilities.

The 22-year-old is one of three finalists for the Emerging Leader Award, to be presented at the Victorian Disability Awards ceremony on Wednesday, August 21.

Muller says it is a “privilege” to be recognised as a leader for other young adults on the spectrum.

“This is going to give me a platform to further advocate and get my message out, and I’m hoping that people who read my story identify with it and realise that it is possible to embrace your differences.

“I have never suffered from being on the spectrum, I have only suffered from people not understanding my autism.

“It’s time to embrace people with autism. It’s time to create an inclusive place for people with a disability in sport and schools.

“Together, we can change the world."

Victoria Raptis is in the final year of her Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) degree at RMIT University. As part of their strategic partnership, Essendon Football Club and RMIT University are committed to providing opportunities for students, staff, players and the wider community.

3 Likes

Thanks @theDJR

The 23-year-old is among seven players selected from the Eagles’ Female Academy to don blue and gold next season.

The Bombers’ inaugural VFLW best and fairest was informed of the news a few weeks ago - a due reward for years of persistence.

“I had a meeting with Adam Selwood and my parents, and they basically told me they (West Coast) were going to offer me a two-year contract,” Bullas said.

“It’s pretty surreal. I don’t think it hit me straight away. It’s only really hit me now that it’s all come out, I was just so excited.

“I knew all the hard work was to come, getting to that point was the easy part and now I have to work hard, get as fit as I can and get ready for 2020.”

After being overlooked in last year’s AFLW draft, Bullas made it her goal to make the most of her chances in the VFLW.

Following impressive performances on the track with West Coast’s Female Academy earlier this year, she instantly caught the eyes of the club’s recruiters.

“In March this year, I went across to Perth and did two weeks of their 10-week academy,” she said.

“They were only pre-signing seven girls from the academy, and I was one of them, which was super lucky, and I am so grateful.

“I didn’t need to prove myself to anyone, it was more about proving to myself that I would make it eventually."

Bullas on the track with West Coast’s Female Academy. (Photo: westcoasteagles.com.au)

Bullas spent her last two seasons with the Bombers as a consistent, standout performer, establishing herself as one of the competition’s most versatile midfielders.

In that time, she claimed her side’s highest individual honour and was also named in last year’s VFLW Team of the Year.

A natural ball-winner with great athletic ability, she averaged 16 disposals and seven tackles from six games in 2019.

“I am so grateful to Essendon for believing in me to get to this point,” she said.

“That was a huge turning point, coming to a club that supported me and gave me the opportunity to thrive.

“I’ve put in the hard work on my end and they (Essendon) have given me everything else in return.”

But, when a knee injury struck in round seven, a stint on the sidelines threatened to derail Bullas’ chances of AFLW selection.

“After my injury, I was disappointed that I was going to miss out on the remainder of the season with the girls,” she said.

“There was part of me that thought this might restrict my chances of being signed, but I had hoped that I’d be able to come back out and be ready for AFLW pre-season.”

Bullas in action during one of her six games this season. (Photo: AFL Photos)

VFLW Bombers senior coach Brendan Major said he was incredibly proud of Bullas’ achievements over the past two seasons.

“Hayley has put in two really good years of solid work and she has excelled in the program,” Major said.

“She came in with the right attitude, great leadership and she has developed into the player that she is now.

“And I think that speaks to the professional that Hayley is, to put herself out there and perform the way she has.”

Major said Bullas had shown great potential and was “more than prepared” to compete at the highest level.

“I’m just so happy for her,” he said.

“We’re designing our program to try and let people like Hayley thrive in it, so it’s great that we could help her on that journey.

“I think coaches get too much credit sometimes, so I’m just happy that we were able to support Hayley and she’s really driven her own career.”

After reviewing her injuries, Bullas was given the green light to commence training with the senior AFLW side.

She said she was looking forward to pre-season and her career at West Coast.

“Settling in is going to be one of the biggest things for me because I’m not from Perth,” she said.

“But West Coast gave me this opportunity because they believe in me, so I am very grateful for that.

“Forming those relationships with the girls is important to me, and everything else will come with hard work, so I just want to enjoy myself.”

Bullas will make the move from Melbourne to Perth in time for the start of pre-season training.

Victoria Raptis is in the final year of her Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) degree at RMIT University. As part of their strategic partnership, Essendon Football Club and RMIT University are committed to providing opportunities for students, staff, players and the wider community.

1 Like

This must be how Frankston VFL feels.

3 Likes

For a KPD, she’s tiny. But awesome!

2 Likes

CBomb equal fifth after round 13 (9 votes; Lauren Pearce is 3 clear on top of the ladder with 15).

With all due respect… yeah nah.

(She got two votes for the game vs the Saints where she missed from twenty out and hence lost the game!)

Pearce gets another 3 votes. Not much competition from her Darebin teammates, I guess…

CBomb 3 votes vs Collingwood!

Equal second for the league?

CBomb 2 versus WiIly!

I get the feeling the umps go “hey, I know who she is!”

Pearce wins on 18.

CBomb finishes third on 14 votes. Monique Conti of Richmond finished second on 16.

CBomb had a really consistent season. Rapt she got recognised for it.

Our votes:

McIntosh 14
Nanscawen 8
Frew 3 (that’s one BOG)
Quigley 2
Moreen 2
Ugle 2
Patrikios 2
Audley 2
Ahrens 1
Collier 1

Beg to effin’ disagree – e.g. Audley got votes from one game only. These umps are crazy!

Wow, only 1 vote for Collier and no votes for Stepnell.

CBomb the only one of the top six not to be in the Team of the Year.

Seventh and eighth were from Fark Carlton, and it was rightly a No Fark Carltoners team.

No, the thread title is too long already. Not including it.

Isabel Currenti thought she might never play football again.

When injury struck in round nine, a stint on the sidelines threatened to end her hopes of playing in the VFLW.

Currenti was chasing a loose ball late in the final term of Essendon’s 20-point loss to Collingwood on July 6 when her knee was caught in a tackle.

“I just fell to the ground. I remember sitting there for what felt like a really long time,” Currenti said.

“The physio came straight over. I wasn’t quite sure what had happened, but I wasn’t in any pain. They carried me off and I went through the tests with the doctor.”

Currenti’s fears were realised when scans confirmed the worst.

The 27-year-old received the devastating news that she had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in her knee.

Dismayed by the results, she was told the injury would rule her out for the entire 2019 campaign.

“I was pretty shattered when I first found out,” she said.

“I had no idea that it was an ACL injury. I expected to be in a lot of pain, and it wasn’t like that at all.

“The doctor called me that night and told me it wasn’t a regular case and that the injury may have occurred previously, so I might have been playing without a full ACL for a while now.”

Currenti in action in the early stages of the season before injury struck. (Photo: Ben Johnstone)

Rather than undergoing a traditional knee reconstruction, Currenti opted to go down a physiotherapy route.

She kept the injured knee in a brace and relied on an extensive rehab process to heal the injury naturally.

“I’m obviously older than some of the other girls, but I’m only a couple of years into my footy career,” she said.

“If I was to get surgery now, I’d be out for at least 18 months because I’d miss all of next year as well.

“We did heaps of testing and I was coping well, so I had to give it a shot.”

Currenti refused to give up hope of returning to footy.

Fiercely determined to make a comeback, she began a rigorous rehab journey that pushed all the boundaries.

There were times where her goal looked unattainable, but she persevered, looking up to players like Sydney’s Daniel Menzel, who has bounced back from four ruptured ACLs.

“It was pretty full-on,” she said.

“I’d work with (head physio) David Spithill three days a week. We’d be at the club until 10pm on some nights.

“I was so determined to do what I could to get back, I just wanted to make sure it was all worth it in the end.”

Playing again this season had always been a priority for Currenti.

She made incredible progress in the seven weeks since her injury.

There were milestone moments - first came walking freely again, followed by the anti-gravity machine.

Suddenly, she was jogging laps at The Hangar before re-joining training with her teammates.

“I was just so excited, it felt like I had been let off a leash,” she said.

“I wasn’t even thinking about my knee. I just wanted to be involved where I could.”

Currenti made her fairytale return in the season-ending win over Williamstown, just 48 days after going down.

Having dominated through prolific ball-winning abilities throughout the season, the midfielder could hardly have done more to earn her chance.

“It was a bit of a whirlwind because the team was sort of solid at the time and it was pretty hard to get back into a strong side,” she said.

“But when I did find out I was playing, I was pretty emotional. I couldn’t believe it was true.

“All that hard work had paid off and I was getting an opportunity to get back. It felt pretty special.”

Skipper Courtney Ugle, who was alongside Currenti for almost all of her recovery, was full of praise.

“She’s been one of my biggest supporters. Even when she was going through a hard time, she was there when I needed a shoulder to cry on,” Ugle said.

“We spent a lot of time together outside footy, so I knew a lot more than other people did, in terms of all the highs and especially the lows.

“It gave me a great sense of pride to know that my friend was able to achieve her goal.”

She said Currenti’s “resilience and determination” had played a major role in her making it back as quickly as she did.

“Isy was always the first one at The Hangar and the last one to leave.

"She never made any excuses. She had one clear goal and she did whatever she needed to do to achieve that.

“She’s a really good friend and someone that I hold in high regard, so it made me incredibly proud to see her play that last game.”

There’s something going on up there. Tiwi Bombers were getting a submission to enter a womens team into the NTFLW, but suddenly withdrew a couple of days ago.

Collingwood have a Irish girl who looks like the dictionary definition of “Irish Girl” :smiley:

1 Like