Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

Was it definitely shot down?

The CNN report I saw was suggesting it could have been brought down by a BUK missile system, the guy new about the BUK missile system but he clearly had NFI if it had anything to do with it, just that this type of system was capable, highly mobile, advanced etc. Not sure who's side he was onanyway, maybe suggesting it was Russia IF it was actually shot down.

Call me crazy, but I don't imagine a farmer would know how to operate a BUK intelligently enough to differentiate between a fighter and a passenger jet...

No, you’re not crazy. Operating SAM’s (and MANPAD’s) is not a ‘pick up and play’ skill set

Horrible to say so, but it's best for Malaysian Air that it was shot down....

Questions should be asked why was it flying over that area anyway? All other flight paths are avoiding Ukraine.

According to an airline expert* there were over 100 planes in that airspace as its a common air route, just unlucky for Malaysian Airlines that their plane was shot down (allegedly) could have been any of them. At 33000 feet the people on the ground would have no idea who the plane belonged to

*Was a guy on radio claiming to be an expert, I have no idea who he was

Hmmmmm.........due to fly on Malaysian airlines in November. Everything happens in 3s!!!

I'll get in early. I love most of you, I hope some of you will miss me.

My co-worker just said the same thing! lol

I'll miss you mate.

Well get back in there and practice more then, until you hit every time.

There was some suggestion the BUK system had been captured from the Ukrainians and was paraded around by the separatists last week. There's also stories about intercepted phone calls between rebel leaders where they discuss that they just shot down a civilian plane... How do you say "oops" in Russian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuHxAR01Jo

Pro Russian rebels discussing the shoot down with superiors.

If legitimate, that's a slam-dunk right there.

Reports now coming out that on board were some of the worlds leading AIDS researchers and activists who were heading to Melbourne for next weeks World AIDS Conference (biggest medical conference in the world) - possibly including the keynote speaker

Makes this even more heartbreaking

Finger pointing has already started over whether the plane should have been there in the first place.  Authorities saying it should not have been, Malaysian airlines saying they were not warned, the board who controls the warnings saying they were outside the warning zone.
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

A global airline industry group said on Thursday that MH17 appeared to have been flying through ordinary and open airspace when it crashed.
"Based on the information currently available, it is believed that the airspace that the aircraft was traversing was not subject to restrictions," said the International Air Transport Association.

Hmmmmm.........due to fly on Malaysian airlines in November. Everything happens in 3s!!!

I'll get in early. I love most of you, I hope some of you will miss me.

Hope you haven't paid for the ticket, coz I reckon MH flight prices are gonna tumble !!

What the hell!? How does something like that get onto YouTube just a few hours after the event? The world is a farked up place.

My folks are flying the same flight path on Malaysian in 10 days time. Hope they're considering changing.

My folks are flying the same flight path on Malaysian in 10 days time. Hope they're considering changing.

I think you'll be safely able to assume that whoever they fly with, it won't be on that flight path.

That's what I'm hoping

Putin, naturally enough, is blaming Ukraine simply because it’s their fault that there’s any fighting at all.

Putin, naturally enough, is blaming Ukraine simply because it's their fault that there's any fighting at all.

Mother Russia is never at fault.

Nyet!

Reports now coming out that on board were some of the worlds leading AIDS researchers and activists who were heading to Melbourne for next weeks World AIDS Conference (biggest medical conference in the world) - possibly including the keynote speaker

Tragic. 

Tragic. 

Reports of the President of the International AIDS Society and the WHO media relations guy were on that flight. :(

Tragic. 

Reports of the President of the International AIDS Society and the WHO media relations guy were on that flight. :(

Lucie van Mens, Martine de Schutter, Pim de Kuijer, Joep Lange and Jacqueline van Tongeren
Joep was president of the International AIDS Society