Missing/crashed planes, and other aviation mis/adventures

First one that wasn’t shot down?

EDIT: That was Malaysian Air

A single-engine Cessna has crashed in a graveyard near Dublin.

Rescuers have so far discovered 259 bodies.

3 Likes

Hit the play button to see everything be OK till the last few frames…

I’d like that, except you can’t really… (And what is the recording rate there…)

Horrible

Dropped 3000m in under a minute before disappearing off the radar. ATC tried making contact before that as the flight was not on its correct path and received no answer

1 Like

Pilot error? Mechanical/structural failure? Other?

Way too early for them to know.
Only some pieces believed to be from the wreckage has been found, haven’t pinpointed an exact spot yet.
At an educated guess I’d say possibly a combination of the aircraft and less than ideal servicing may have played a part

1 Like

If you have travelled an any domestic airlines in Indonesia, then take youe life in your hands. Even the main players like Garuda leave a lot to be desired.

1 Like

Garuda are very good these days and have made some huge improvements on safety protocols and maintenance. Some other Indonesian airlines I definitely wouldn’t step foot on though

Garuda are OK internationally but their domestic company is trash like the rest. Many local companies to choose from and prices are very cheap, typical to see oil leaks as you walk out to get on a plane

1 Like

GMF who do the maintenance are very good and work on many International airlines including. Qantas, Cathay, KLM and Japan Airlines to name a few. Their maintenance and servicing has seen massive improvements in the last 5-6 years at both international and domestic level.
We mainly use Garuda for domestic travel but at a push we use Lion/Batik or Citilink but steer well clear of the others

No idea about now, but in the Sydney hailstorms in (approx) 99 or 2000 Qantas had an A/C get absolutely smashed and be in maintenance for a year. Next to it on the tarmac was a Garuda A/C that flew the next day.

Obviously they were banned from various airspace after that, and then fixed a bunch of stuff to be allowed back in.

Oh they were shocking and deservedly banned from many regions in that era. They have made massive steps forward since those days and needed to. They are still not perfect (no airline is) but I’d fly Garuda before many others in the region who cut corners on safety and maintenance.

1 Like

Without Garuda airlines there’s no air crash investigations. Legit 50% of the early seasons are pure Garuda hahah

2 Likes

Garuda do the aircraft maintenance for Sriwijaya Air.

Yes they do.
GMF service dozens of domestic and International airlines

1 Like

Indonesian Navy has pinpointed the site and divers are on it now.
Have so far retrieved some aircraft pieces including wheels and the registration number. Have also found articles of clothing and body pieces

1 Like

My old man was a Lamie for 50 years. TAA / Australian Airlines/Qantas. Been retired for a decade, he was very pleased to finish up. Cost cutting / slipping standards rampant through the industry. Reckoned all the “old timers” were disgusted at the direction things were going. Thinks modern Qantas has a good record in spite of itself.

Has some hilarious (and worrying) stories from the early days. Often around Alitalia, reckons some of their procedures involved nothing more than offering a Papal Blessing before each flight.

1 Like

As someone who has flown with Alitalia, I can’t explain in words how anxious your story has made me! :joy:

It is a serious worry. As guys who’ve seen the worst move on there is a constant possibility that the new generation think “the designers have this sorted”. Meanwhile the designs are massively grandfathered, or there are new materials and processes being used for which people don’t understand the risks.

1 Like