Misunderstood Songs

Some people think “short people” is a dig at short people…

The land of the free And the home of the brave

Oh America… what have you done?

Frank drebins interpretation made more sense

Better Man by Pearl Jam contains lyrics about a bloke that belts his wife/girlfriend. I remember ages ago on Sports Tonight they played it as part of tribute to some retiring NRL player, perhaps Alfie Langer, maybe one of the Johns brothers, seemingly oblivious to the actual point of the song. I believe the player in question was a pretty solid citizen off field so the song was a pretty choice for him.

Yep, and people have played this at weddings, too…

Boys Light Up.

It’s about sex and vibes and sl…women of loose morals and blow jobs.

You probably won’t know ‘Julie With’ by Brisn Eno. Some think it’s a contemplative scene featuring a guy and his gf. See below lyrics for the alternative take.

I am on an open sea
Just drifting as the hours go slowly by
Julie with her open blouse
Is gazing up into the empty sky.

Now it seems to be so strange here
Now it’s so blue
The still sea is darker than before…

No wind disturbs our coloured sail
The radio is silent, so are we
Julie’s head is on her arm
Her fingers brush the surface of the sea.

Now i wonder if we’ll be seen here
Or if time has left us all alone
The still sea is darker than before…

Or is it about a creepy killer, the sea being blood?

Anything James Reyne sung. I tried everything including playing it backwards, still dont know what he is saying

I grew up in a semi-English-speaking country. Here a few I had always misheard:

She’s alright - fat Canada Lady (reckless, Reyne)
I - Voted - Rock ‘n’ Roll (High Voltage - ACDC)
Sat on the roof - kicked off some moss, well it’s true, I’m certain, it has green and white crosses (Your Song, Elton)

Anything James Reyne sung. I tried everything including playing it backwards, still dont know what he is saying

Very good overall, but the Reyne parody is gold.

Hammerhead was actually about hammer, but I assume everyone who knew the song also knew that.

Hammerhead was actually about hammer, but I assume everyone who knew the song also knew that.

I love songs about carpentry. Also gardening. Sepultura’s ‘roots’, springs to mind.

Perfect Day by Lou Reed is about the same thing so I’ve been told. It sounds like a beautiful love song, and I suppose it is.

Hammer? As in MC Hammer?

2 legit…

Let it Be by the Beatles.

Some people see it as a tribute to the so called mother of JC, due to the first couple of verses referring to Mother Mary and wisdom.
Other people know “mother mary” is a euphemism for marijuana (who knew?), and the line " She is standing right in front of me" is a loaded bong.

Wikipedia says it’s means Pauls mum.

Wikipedia says it's means Pauls mum.

Who died when he was a teenager.

Wikipedia says it's means Pauls mum.
Of course it would .... ;)

Fair enough, it contains a direct quote from Sir Paul so I’m prepared to accept his explanation… :wink wink:

Drugs! All songs are about drugs!

Just on this theme with McCartney - he’s been pretty clear in stating what songs were actually about drugs, which would lead me to take his word for it when he says ‘mother Mary’ actually refers to his mother, whose name was Mary, and dreams he had about her. For example, ‘Got to get you into my life’, he has stated is about LSD, which all the other Beatles had experienced before him - though it is mistaken for a straight forward song about a girl he likes. Listen to it in either context and it makes sense, but he says he wrote it after his first trip.

Anyway, I love the way interpretation works for people - except the consiracy nutters - so if it’s about Mary Jane for TR&BP, I’m happy to Let it be.

Just on this theme with McCartney - he's been pretty clear in stating what songs were actually about drugs, which would lead me to take his word for it when he says 'mother Mary' actually refers to his mother, whose name was Mary, and dreams he had about her. For example, 'Got to get you into my life', he has stated is about LSD, which all the other Beatles had experienced before him - though it is mistaken for a straight forward song about a girl he likes. Listen to it in either context and it makes sense, but he says he wrote it after his first trip.

Anyway, I love the way interpretation works for people - except the consiracy nutters - so if it’s about Mary Jane for TR&BP, I’m happy to Let it be.

lol, well played!

Many think the song is called ’ this is australia’ and that it’s some kind of anthem celebrating how good it is here and how lucky we are…

Whereas it’s actually called ‘sounds of then’ and is about how certain sounds/smells etc take you back to a time and place, which for the writer was about the massive culture shock of moving from England in a family that was breaking/broken, and suffering hard times.

Great song anyways, for mine.

1 Like

Also Van Morrison claims that Madame George is a composite stream of consciousness tale rather than about a tranny, and was originally called ‘Madam Joy’. Great song either way.

And what about ‘Cypress Avenue’, a beautiful song, but seems to be about a protagonist who, ahem, desires the company of those inappropriately younger than himself.