Misunderstood Songs

Anything James Reyne sung. I tried everything including playing it backwards, still dont know what he is saying

Very good overall, but the Reyne parody is gold.

I was thinking exactly the same skit

Not so much misunderstood as not understood. And if you like the song but don't know what it's about, you may not want to find out.

Brick - Ben Folds Five

Yeah I remember hearing that in an interview a few years back. Sheesh!

Iā€™ve always thought

Not so much misunderstood as not understood.
And if you like the song but donā€™t know what itā€™s about, you may not want to find out.

Brick - Ben Folds Five

Yeah I remember hearing that in an interview a few years back. Sheesh!

I always thought the meaning of the song was extremely obvious from the lyrics, donā€™t get how people wouldnā€™t understand what it was about.

1 Like

2 little boys, Rolf Harris

1 Like
2 little boys, Rolf Harris

chortled.

Not to mention Roxanne.

Roxanne you donā€™t have to put on the red light
Those days are over you donā€™t have to sell your body to the night
Roxanne you donā€™t have to wear that dress tonight
Walk the streets for money you donā€™t care if itā€™s wrong or if itā€™s right

Roxanne You donā€™t have to put on the red light
Roxanne You donā€™t have to put on the red light

I loved you since I knew ya
I wouldnā€™t talk down to ya
I have to tell you just how I feel
I wonā€™t share you with another boy
I know my mind is made up so put away your make-up
I told you once I wonā€™t tell you again itā€™s a bad way

Que?

How is Roxanne weird?

Clear as day what this song is about.

Itā€™s clear, but itā€™s still weird.

The first three hits for the Police were about a guy in love with a hooker, a teacher lusting after a student, and a stalker. Thatā€™s not weird?

Nah,ā€¦ man falling for Hooker is a story as old as time, and the subject of much art & stories, ā€¦ all the way to Pretty Woman, ā€¦ and itā€™s message is obvious in the 1st two lines.

The other thing you mention would be an interesting trivia curio though, if it was true.

The 1st 3 hits were Roxanne, ā€¦ Canā€™t Stand Losing You, and Message in a Bottle

Sting had studied teaching and had completed training at secondary schools. he had seen a few girls who got infatuated with him during that time and he had been reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov which was one of his favourite books. Not surprising he wrote about it.

Rozanne was written at a time when they were staying at a seedy hotel and out the front prostitutes worked. There was a poster in the foyer which advertised the play Cyrano de Bergerac with the main character being called Roxanne.

Every breath was about his breakup from his first marriage due to an affair he was having and the media hounding him and people watching him. It was so bad he had to go the Caribbean to get away and thatā€™s where he wrote the song.

So no they are not weird, they make sense as the author writes about things happening around him. That is pretty normal tbh.

Just gonna leave this hereā€¦*

*Yes, I know Sting didnā€™t write it.

Iā€™m [quote=ā€œIceTemple, post:89, topic:3726, full:trueā€]

Sting had studied teaching and had completed training at secondary schools. he had seen a few girls who got infatuated with him during that time and he had been reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov which was one of his favourite books. Not surprising he wrote about it.

Rozanne was written at a time when they were staying at a seedy hotel and out the front prostitutes worked. There was a poster in the foyer which advertised the play Cyrano de Bergerac with the main character being called Roxanne.

Every breath was about his breakup from his first marriage due to an affair he was having and the media hounding him and people watching him. It was so bad he had to go the Caribbean to get away and thatā€™s where he wrote the song.

So no they are not weird, they make sense as the author writes about things happening around him. That is pretty normal tbh.
[/quote]

I wouldnā€™t say he wrote about the things happening around him. What he did was use those things as jumping off places to write about other things.

He taught at schools where girls had become infatuated with him ā€“ he wrote about a male schoolteacherā€™s temptation when he became the object of infatuation, and hinted that maybe the teacher had succumbed to the temptation.

There were hookers out the front of a hotel where he stayed ā€“ he wrote a song of a man pleading with a hooker (presumably his girlfriend, but not necessarily) to stay off the game.

The press hounded him ā€“ the song is about a stalker.

Iā€™m not criticising him. In fact I like that he had the courage to write those songs and thus admit that he had been to those places in his mind. But the fact remains that the three songs are about some form of forbidden sexual behaviour, and I think thatā€™s at least as weird as most of the songs mentioned in this thread.

Roxanne is about as blatant as it gets?

Also out-moral policing IT. Kudos!

Semi charmed kind of life by third eye blind is about a couple on a meth binge.

1 Like

I have to admit, i have no idea what that means.

Ok, tell me Iā€™m hearing wrong here.

Look up ā€˜Bad Girlā€™ by Neil Sedaka.
Scroll to about 1.00min in.
Tell me, what do you hear?

They vary, ā€¦ link to the one you heard??

I got, ā€¦ā€œIf youā€™re gonna put her down thatā€™s where our friendship endsā€ as the only line you might br referencing ā€¦??

Try the very first YouTube link. Otherwise Iā€™ll link you when I get to a pc.

Ok, here it is:

Fixed

Yeah,.thatā€™s the one I picked.

Listened from .30 to 2.00.

Not picking it up, sozā€¦