Mitch Clark retires

Clark retires immediately due to battling depression. All the best to the guy.

MITCH Clark has informed Melbourne he will retire from the AFL, effective immediately.

Clark told the club his battle with mental illness would not allow him to commit to a full-time career at the Demons.

Clark has recently been diagnosed with clinical depression.

The tall forward asked the Demons last month for permission to spend some time away from the club to deal with his well-being.

Demons football manager Josh Mahoney said football came second in Clark's decision.

"Mitch's health has been the priority in this situation and after assessing all potential options, Mitch decided it was best for him to retire from football. The Melbourne Football Club supports this decision," Mahoney said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.

"The club has been supporting Mitch throughout his illness, providing the best resources to assist him in his rehabilitation. We will continue to support him throughout the next phase of his life."

Clark thanked those at Melbourne for their support during tough times.
"I just want to say thank you to the Melbourne Football Club, firstly for giving me the chance to play for them and secondly for taking care of me during my time there," Clark said.

"Everyone at the club has been so supportive of me during some very challenging times, which I will always be appreciative of.

"Finally I want to say thank you to the players and members for being there for me. I‘m sorry I wasn‘t out on the field more, but with my injuries, it just wasn‘t to be. I am very grateful for everything Melbourne has done for me.  I will always consider myself a Melbourne player and a Melbourne person."

Poor guy. Hope he gets better

I not sure what to go with first, sincerity that I hope he gets through it OK or the joke that I'd be depressed too if I played for Melbourne.

Sad situation. No winners there, unfortunately.

Disagree.  Mitch is the winner here.

By accepting his situation and prioritising his own health and his family above his employment.

I admire his courage in coming out to fight this. Life and health are truly more important than anything else.

Best of luck to Mitch as depression is a terrible curse. When he left Brisbane he had the intention of going back to Perth to be with his family but at the last minute Melbourne made an offer he couldn’t refuse. It makes me wonder whether if he had gone to Perth with family around him it may never have come to this. We shall never know the answer. Anyway, best of luck to Mitch and hope he recovers.

I not sure what to go with first, sincerity that I hope he gets through it OK or the joke that I'd be depressed to if I played for Melbourne.

Go with the former for now

By accepting his situation and prioritising his own health and his family above his employment.

Very well said Wim.

As someone who has clinical depression i wish him and his family all the best.its a bugger of a thing to fight

Does he have a case then to sue the Dees for causing the depression? Their on field issues would be enough to cuase many players to have ongoing nightmares.

As someone who has clinical depression i wish him and his family all the best.its a bugger of a thing to fight

Ditto.

Making this decision must have been ■■■■■■ hard.

Best of luck to Mitch as depression is a terrible curse. When he left Brisbane he had the intention of going back to Perth to be with his family but at the last minute Melbourne made an offer he couldn't refuse. It makes me wonder whether if he had gone to Perth with family around him it may never have come to this. We shall never know the answer. Anyway, best of luck to Mitch and hope he recovers.

It's a mental illness it was probably with him at Brisbane and would have been with him had he gone to Perth.

This

Always thought he was a good player. Good luck mate. Will forever remember you for breaking J.Browns face, that was crazy. Good luck mate.

Feel bad for him. Here is a super talented player in his prime, these should've been the best years of not just his athletic career but his life.... but instead he's battling this disease that doesn't allow him to enjoy any aspect of life.

I not sure what to go with first, sincerity that I hope he gets through it OK or the joke that I'd be depressed too if I played for Melbourne.

there's more to life than just footy.

He made the right decision 

And i don't think you should be making jokes about it, it's disrespectful.

Does he have a case then to sue the Dees for causing the depression? Their on field issues would be enough to cuase many players to have ongoing nightmares.

Yeah-nah.

I'm no expert, but while you can certainly have instigators of stress I'm not sure you can nail a cause for depression.  It's far more internal than external.

That must have been a tough call to walk away.  Pretty brave to do that.  Good luck to him.

Not that I like the Dees but they should get first dibs on him if he ever recovers and wanfs to play footy again.

More importantly though, wiah him all the best and hope he can overcome this terrible illness