Mitch Clark retires

Best of luck to you Mitch. Life isn’t an easy ride. Just don’t be silly and dare try to bob up with West Coast or Freo in the next few years, no matter how much better you are feeling mate. Injury free, this guy was a really good player!

Best decision that he could make given the circumstances. Hopefully both the AFL and Melbourne continue to offer support to him

Dees played this one pretty close to the chest, as recently as the weekend the players were still unsure about whether he would be returning or not

one good thing that is coming out of this is that there's now more of a dialogue about mental health in the afl and i guess broader society.

this also challenges the broader notion of masculinity which places such a stigma on depression in men and it's great to see how much support mitch is getting from others in the footy world and fans. it's really brave decision by him and i really feel for him.

one good thing that is coming out of this is that there's now more of a dialogue about mental health in the afl and i guess broader society.

this also challenges the broader notion of masculinity which places such a stigma on depression in men and it's great to see how much support mitch is getting from others in the footy world and fans. it's really brave decision by him and i really feel for him.

Yeah I noticed the story on the news tonight. The statistic mentioned, that at least one player from every club would experience a mental health issue was particularly interesting, I couldn't help but wonder, hypothetically of course, what the mental health impact might be if a random AFL team was publicly persecuted by members of the media, AFL and and general public for a good 18 months or so...hypothetical of course.

It's a good thing the AFL are addressing mental health issues.

well maybe now they'll think twice before they (the media, the afl etc) place that much scrutiny on certain players/clubs again

well maybe now they'll think twice before they (the media, the afl etc) place that much scrutiny on certain players/clubs again

As if. They are selfish egotistical scum who wank over the misfortune of others.

What a shame. He could have been a very, very good player.

I wonder if his foot injury was worse than intial thoughts.

Paul Roos would love to slot him into the forwardline right now.

I wonder how things might have changed if he went to WCE or Freo and had time with family in WA instead of getting $$ at melbourne

I wonder if his foot injury was worse than intial thoughts.

Paul Roos would love to slot him into the forwardline right now.

I wonder how things might have changed if he went to WCE or Freo and had time with family in WA instead of getting $$ at melbourne

On that topic, I always thought it was the wrong decision going to melbourne in the first place. when instead of chasing money he could have gone west and been with his family & friends (as he first had requested), had that right support network and I would only assume being at a club that isn't a complete mess would have helped too. Not saying the depression wouldn't have happened at all but surely looking back wasn't a smart move.

And by no means am I trying to degrade the impact or seriousness of his depression.

Would have won a flag at Freo last year too . ..

Would have won a flag at Freo last year too . ..

Or would have missed due to a foot injury

. . . Nah

This is Melbourne we are talking about.

They’d turn Gary Ablett into Shane Harvey

. . . Nah
This is Melbourne we are talking about.
They'd turn Gary Ablett into Shane Harvey

And Shane Harvey into someone way way worse than Shane Harvey.

Feel for the bloke. Such an insidious condition. Get well Mitch. You are young, and life is ahead of you. Much more to it than footy.

Mitch has an amazing talent as a photographer (I follow him on Instagram @mitchclark) and he can definitely make a career out of that.

Hope everything goes well for him.

I've never had depression myself I've only dealt with it with family members and it's nothing that I would wish upon anyone. Really hope that he can sort himself out and get back to a better place.