Mitch Creek

Read in today's Herald-Sun that current Adelaide 36er Mitch Creek is looking to come across if someone offers him a deal.

Creek tested at both Essendon and Geelong last year and does have a reasonable football history.

Only 21, he was the Vic Country Centre Half-Forward at under 18 level.

Stands 195 cm.

Read in today's Herald-Sun that current Adelaide 36er Mitch Creek is looking to come across if someone offers him a deal.
Creek tested at both Essendon and Geelong last year and does have a reasonable football history.
Stands 195 cm.

The question is... Can he actually play football? Or is he just another awkward converted basketball player?

If the guy is good at finishing the ol’ Alley-oop, then we might just have the forward line for him…

Mitch Creek sounds like a winery that produces $5 bottles of wine.

Wolf Creek would put the fear of God into the opposition.

Wolf Creek would put the fear of God into the opposition.

Got good laughs from that one, thanks Ronnie!

Could perhaps go as one of those Rookie B types like Rayner.

make a great story - wait no, it already did.

Stands 195 cm.

The question is... Can he actually play football? Or is he just another awkward converted basketball player?

I would have thought being the Vic Country Under 18 CHF would be a answer to that question.

Bring him in

He doesn't have a sister named ■■■■■ does he?

He's certainly not short of confidence.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-player-mitch-creek-to-train-with-essendon-after-nbl-season/story-fni2uang-1226838570743

ADELAIDE 36ers basketballer Mitch Creek continues to flirt with an AFL career, confirming he‘ll train with Essendon after the NBL season.

Creek was tested by the Bombers and Geelong last winter and while his heart is still with basketball he‘s ready to listen if an AFL club comes to him with a big money offer.

“Look for me to change codes it‘s going to take a big incentive - and obviously the biggest incentive for me would be the money side of things,” Creek said.

“If someone said to me ‘I‘m going to give you a million dollars to dig a hole eight hours a day - I‘m probably going to dig a hole for eight hours a day‘.

“I‘ll do anything for a million dollars - anyone would.”

AFL clubs are able to sign players from elite sporting competitions like the NBL under the league‘s Alternative Talent rules.

They are immediately eligible to play games, can remain on a list for three years and be paid outside the salary cap.

Creek says he‘d need to earn more than what he‘s on at the 36ers and has no doubt he‘d be worth every cent.

“One hundred per cent,” he said.

“I‘d challenge nearly any player on a footy field now to run around for half an hour and see if I can keep up. And I haven‘t kicked a footy since June last year. It‘s flat in my room.

“I can kick both feet. I can kick 50-60m on my left. I can kick 40m straight on my right. I can handball both hands.

“I can mark overhead - one foot, two foot, it‘s the same as basketball.

“I have great vision on the field and there‘s so much room to work with.”

Listed at 195cm and 98kgs, Creek is undoubtedly one of the best athletes in Australian sport.

He was a high-leaping centre half forward in Victorian country representative sides as a junior but believes he could also play in the ruck or on a wing.

The 21 year old has signed to play basketball with Nunawading in the SEABL during the winter but plans to visit the Bombers after the 36ers‘ finals campaign.

“(Essendon was) really nice to me and said to go over there once the season is finished, do a week or two of recovery, get my body fresh, kick a footy,” he said.

“It‘s obviously still basketball for me but it‘s about having a look, putting my foot in the water and seeing if it‘s hot or cold.”

He has made the 36ers aware of his plans to train with Essendon, who he grew up supporting

“Coach knows about it, the CEO and everyone knows about it. It‘s no secret. I‘m never going to deny it. I love footy, grew up playing it,” he said.

“But I love basketball. Basketball took me around the world and I get to represent my country - put on an Australian jersey.

“If I could do that in footy I‘d probably play footy.”

Stands 195 cm.

At junior level, not at u18 level.  I don't think he played u18 state level at all - I certainly don't recall his name.  Best of my knowledge, he chose basketball at 17 and went to the AIS, dunno if he's played footy since then.

Doesn't sound like he's exactly champing at the bit to get an AFL gig either, frankly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/mitch-creek-says-he-wont-ditch-the-adelaide36ers-and-the-nbl-for-a-chance-in-the-afl/story-fni2uang-1226681117362

I stopped reading as soon as it said “elite sporting competitions such as the NBL”.

sounds like a massive tool.

Sat next to him on a flight to Melbourne from Perth (the day after the Wildcats smashed them), big unit, saw I was wearing a Dons t-shirt and got the thumbs up. Seemed OK to me, it would be great if he could make the transition to AFL and become a handy tall for us. Would have above average agility for his size so maybe as a 3rd tall forward he could be useful. No harm in giving him a crack at it…

The article makes him sound like he’s won a brownlow before even playing a game.

The article makes him sound like he's won a brownlow before even playing a game.

Bomberblitz will say he fits right in at Essendon, then.

He’s up Mitch creek without a paddle.

A million bucks? Just cos we paid hirdy that much, doesn’t mean you’ll get it bud.