Mlb 2017

great result

Well done Astros. Very entertaining World Series.

What a great series! Game 5 for the MVP!

From back in 2014!

Pretty flat game 7

Pretty amazing prediction with Springer on the cover as well!

1 Like

Of the main North American sports, I wonder which is the hardest to win? Iā€™m sure there has been perhaps a study or two based on as many probabilities (salary cap or not, number of teams to playoff spots, which of the sports produce the most upsets etc etc etc etc) they can use to come up with some argument for one. They love this type of analysis over there.

Without even looking it up, my money would be on winning a World Series.

Iā€™d say MLS

Oh, hang onā€¦you said main sports!

So NFL, MLB, NBA & NHL

1 Like

Yeah baby had to watch the last 2 innings flat on stomach at the chiro with 20 acupuncture neeedles in my backā€¦of all days to have a booking it was today,

Charlie Morton enormous closing it outā€¦

Now which astros shirt do I wear tonight!

Great trading getting in the old hard heads over the last 2 yearsā€¦

Am super super happy been a long way back from our 100 loss seasons!

1 Like

Over the years Iā€™ve developed an appreciation and understanding of baseball since my sons play. Ive even played a couple of games myself. Does anyone in this forum play baseball ?

Probably the world series is hardest to win. 160+ games throughout the year, then several series to get to the World Series, then the WS itself. You have to be consistent across the entire season, and then have to get through the play-offs. Much less chance of fluking a one-off win and you would have to be desperately unlucky to have a single error/injury ruin your chances.

No salary cap does mean that some teams in particular have a massive advantage over others though.

2 Likes

My dad used to play when I was growing up and i played at my high schoolā€¦fortunately we had 1 of the first ever aussies to go over to play in the minor leagues in 1985ā€¦it was fun watching him strike out the entire opposition yes 27 in a row in one game!

Iā€™ve been playing since I was six. Played at state level as a junior then missed my prime years in my 20s due to being in the Army in places where there was no baseball, but have been back at it for the last 10 years. Still pretty competitive in the Melbourne Winter league, although the shoulders and knees are getting stiffer and slower each year now. My dad played until he was in his 60ā€™s, so Iā€™ve got a while to go before I get there. My son is 9 and Iā€™ve coached him in t-ball and he starts juniors next year. I played with my dad for a couple of seasons and would love to do the same with my boy if heā€™s keen to keep playing.

1 Like

Nice. Victoria seems to have a reasonable baseball league. Which club do you play at?

Iā€™ve played with and against lots of guys who have played for Australia (my club coach was in the Atlanta Olympics), and even a fair few who have played in the US at various levels from College through to the majors. There are heaps of kids over there these days, to the point that local clubs struggle from time to time as many of the A-Grade level kids go to US college as soon as they turn 18 and the local clubs get gutted for talent. My club has lost about 6 kids in the last few years that would be certain starters in A grade. Itā€™s a great opportunity for them though. One that I wish was available for me when I was their age, but I donā€™t remember anyone doing it 20 years ago.

1 Like

Iā€™m at Greenhills Montmorency. Iā€™ve spent the past few years playing A Reserve with the occasional game in A grade, but I reckon A grade is just that step beyond my ability and reflexes now that Iā€™m over 40. Still love playing though.

1 Like

My boys are at Cheltenham. U16 and A res. Baseball keeps em busy 6 days a week.

I used to play many, many years ago. Back when the world was in black and white. Under 13s, 15s and 17s and at school. I was a reasonable third baseman and a very ordinary batter.

1 Like

Whenever our clubā€™s cricketers went off to play baseball, they came back with their throwing arm improved about 500%.

They donā€™t teach kids to throw at cricket clubs.

My nephew reckons the Astrosā€™ biggest trade deadline win was Darvish signing for LA.

2 Likes

Free to a good home

Hope heā€™s got a good disguise and tinted windows in his car.

Youā€™d need to be Scott Boras to demand huge oxford scholars for him next year.