MLB 2019

Lewis Thorpe making his debut on the mound for the Twins against the White Sox. Game currently rain delayed, but he’s pitched 5 innings for 2 runs with 7 strike outs. Grew up playing at my club in Montmorency.

Not too many Aussies in the bigs at the moment, are there? Maybe Hendricks at Oakland?

Not sure exactly how many, but there’s been a few up and down over the last two/three years. Hendriks is with the A’s and Pete Moylan was pitching with the Braves last year but retired at the start of this year. There’s a good number of Aussies toiling away in the minors (including another LHP, Dan McGrath with the Red Sox organisation, that played juniors at my club at the same time as Thorpe - not many small suburban clubs can claim to have two kids signed to MLB franchises at the same time, plus James Beresford who play a handful of games with the Twins a couple of years ago also played a couple of seasons at my club). We’ve had about 5-6 kids get scholarships to play in college over the last few years, so hopefully with baseball being back in the Olympics it will lead to more funding for development which will lead to more Aussie kids getting the MLB in the future.

Bullpen gave it up in Flushing today. Braves 5-3 middle 8 but Newcomb and Minter gave up 5 runs.

Yankees scored 9 in an inning to beat the BoSox.

Phillies come into Atlanta for the lead up to the All Star game.

Angels left-hander Tyler Skaggs passed away on Monday in Texas, the Angels announced in a statement. Skaggs was 27. The Angels’ scheduled game against the Rangers at Globe Life Park was postponed as a result.

Any word on how?

So was he with the team for the series?

Not yet

Played on Saturday

Padres getting spanked by the Giants.

as an aside - gee these guys spit a lot

1 Like

Braves and Phils have split the first two games. Yesterday Nola vs Keuchel 2-0 on a 2-run double by Jay Bruce. Today 9-2 Braves behind rookie starter Bryse Wilson. Homers by Riley, Donaldson and Joyce vs solo shot by Harper.

Yanks lead the Mets 5-1 mid 9.
Astros lead the Rockies 4-2 bot 7
Cubs lead the Pirates 5-4 bot 9
Blue Jays beat the Red Sox 6-3

Huge season for rookie sluggers…Alonso (NYM) 28 HRs, Riley 15, Vlad’s boy in Toronto, Alvárez in Houston, Lowe in Tampa

Yanks led Rays 3-1 mid 9, Rays score 2 against Chapman to send it to extras. Le Mahieu drives in 2 and Sanchez 3 with a monstrous homer.

Phils hit Soroka for 4 in the first, Braves have scored at least 2 each of the first 4. Swanson, Albies, Freeman and Donaldson homers. 9-4 in the 5th with Harper on first and none out.

I was looking something up on Wikipedia this morning and they listed Tyler Skaggs in the recent deaths. After clicking on the page I eventually ended up on a list of active MLB players that had died during their careers. There were plenty of guys with Typhus or influenza and various other maladies from around 1900, a number of car and plane crashes, but interestingly a guy called Ed Delahunty (who is 4th on the lifetime batting average list at .346) drowned after falling/jumping/being pushed off a bridge whilst drunk and being swept over Niagra Falls.

The list also includes two former MLB players who were playing in other leagues at the time of death, with one being struck by lightning and the other being crushed by a falling satellite dish. Talk about unlucky.

I remember quite a few, young guy from Cards who died in a car crash, young guy from Miami (Jose Fernandez) who died in a boating accident, Darrell Kile from the Cards who didn’t turn up one afternoon and they found him dead in his bed (maybe same as Skaggs).

And a couple of retired pitchers - Cory Lidle and Roy Halladay who died while piloting planes.

Not that many Aussie footballers - Doug Tassell (Ess 1970), Maurie Sankey (Carl 1962), Ronnie James water-skiing, Troy Broadbridge tsunami…there was an ex-Richmond player (Nixon ?) who died in a car-crash, and of course, Darren Millane.

Yep, Richard Nixon was the tigers player.

Only been one death of the baseball field as well, happened in a Yankees game in the 20s or 30s.

John McCarthy

1 Like

That bomb by Sanchez recorded at 461-ft. Looked bigger than that too.

Looked an absolute moon shot. Mind you, 461" is nothing to sneeze at.

461 inches? Yeah…it is something to sneeze at. 461 feet though…when you consider sixes in England go 75 yards tops, 461 feet is twice as far…plus a bit.

Braves hit 5 homers yesterday…today no score after 7 and only 3 lousy hits. Rain delay after 7.

Yankees 4-4 into extras in Tampa. Judge and Gardner homer for 4 runs in the 11th. Phils score 5 in the 9th to beat the Mets 7-2.

148-minute rain delay. Freeman doubled to lead off the 9th, 2 IBB’s and a McCann single to win.

Major case of WTFFFF this morning. ESPN didn’t have MLB Strike Zone on, where they cover all the games, but they had NBA Summer Season. Practice matches 3 weeks after the end of the season. That’s not even JLT, that’s the last kick around before you head off on your summer holidays.

And MLB have suspended Phillies outfielder Odúbel Herrera till the end of the year on domestic violence charges. Loses $2.5mill.

Yankees have a great record against TB at the moment but I reckon at least 3 of our wins against them (currently 9-2) have been in extra innings