Moana Hope Goes Ape

Fair enough. I got the impressiin he was asked about rules of the game and said it was turning to netball or something along those lines. He was then asked about women’s football and mo hope got triggered by his previous response. Or vice versa - he was asked about aflw first and then about rules of the game.

That’s the thing, isn’t it.

She could have called him a ■■■■ to his face.

And we used to be really good at it too.

“I think you’re a ■■■■ and this is why”. Then you’d talk about it, discover a few things you can agree on, shake hands, go have a drink, start a fight, get a kebab then split a cab ride home.

Talking to each other, not shouting each other down on social media, is a lost skill.

5 Likes

Serena Willams like hissy fit insted of actually engaging in a conversation.

Mo is 100% in a wrong.

He thinks the Women shouldn’t hip and shoulder,… or tackle too severely, because they aren’t Men, and aren’t built to withstand that sort of physicality and get hurt worse than Men, and more so.

Also thinks they should use a smaller ball, … and a smaller field too was it?? :thinking:

1 Like

I think so.

But she is a mother, with a child!!!

2 Likes

Some people have poor assertive skills and hate confrontation. Hell I’m one of those people - social media makes it a lot easier to vent nowadays.

Might be time to retire the “goes ape” meme, blitz.

4 Likes

He spoke at length this morning on the ABC about the panel discussion. From what I gathered, there were seperate questions regarding the proposed new rules and girls footy. He commented on the proposed rules and then answered the next question , with referencing the rule changes he would like to see for girls footy. He did say that he didn’t think girls should play Aussies Rules without some sort of rule modifications.

Meh

AFLW has been dropping off in terms of support and viewership

This is the biggest week in football coverage

She tried to make a story

She failed

Meh

Lol - that’s some machiavellian thinking right there.

Broader point, but every time I take young Pills jr to the park, I see 10x more girls kicking footies than you would’ve 4 years ago.

AFL don’t realise it yet, because they haven’t seen the dollars off it yet, but AFLW has already been a huge hit in terms of number of girls looking at footy as a viable option. If they play it right that will, long term, translate to extra numbers through the gate and eyes on TV sets for both AFLW and AFL. Potentially a bigger growth market than any geographical area. Seems Gil has no confidence in the product though.

Marginalising the women’s game through patronising rule changes or ripping the guts out of the tournament would be madness at this point.

11 Likes

He also said that statically, the girls have a vastly higher rate of ACL injury and this needs to be analysed/researched to try and reduce it somehow.

2 Likes

You reckon?

There is no racial undertone when using ‘ape’ in this way.

Ever seen footage of a gorilla going apshit? That’s the context in this instance.

2 Likes

But is it a Daughter??

2 Likes

I dislike pretty much anything MM has to say and don’t read his articles however all he did was voice a personal opinion about AFLW which he is absolutely entitled to. He wasn’t rude or condescending or sexist, it was just his opinion.

I know it wasn’t your intent @Diggers

1 Like

No, I read it on the Herald Sun website.

(thats probably even worse)

2 Likes

Diggers is referring to Moana’s course of action, not the content of the discussion. Stay and resolve or walk & explode via social media. While I believe the first option is the better one, she chose differently.

1 Like

I agree although I reckon Gil sees the value in AFLW not so much in terms of players, more so in terms of eyes watching both on tv and at live at games. Would love to know the gender breakdown of club members in 1990. Bet it was around 90% blokes. Be closer to 60/40% now. Girls playing then supporting by watching or becoming members is what they’re up to.