Moving country

I’m thinking about quitting my job to go live in Canada for a year and work the snow etc.

It’s a pretty new idea and I probably don’t know how big it really is and what it would entail and be like.

Just wondering if people had any stories about them doing something similar and what they took with them and needed and just general experiences that would be good to read and can help me scope the situation!

Cheers

Pretty good timing for this thread.

Thinking about moving over to America to study either sometime this year or next, any advice would be appreciated.

I moved to PNG for three years.

Go there.

Just do it man.

Whilst you are young and can.

Scary, but exciting prospect. Gotta get my head around it…

But Australia still needs you.

I moved to PNG for three years.

Go there.

Do you still throw carrots and capsicums into the spa?

Scary, but exciting prospect. Gotta get my head around it....

Talk to Mero. He lives there.

I think work visas to Canada are pretty tough past a certain age. 28 maybe?

I think work visas to Canada are pretty tough past a certain age. 28 maybe?

Under 31 they're super easy and last 2 years.

Firstly if you're talking 'just a year' then frankly you're not going to miss out on much at home. 

When I did it I wanted to continue working in my profession so it's not quite the same thing. I went without having a job lined up and lived near Toronto. If I were doing it all over again I'd do the ski fields working holiday style you're considering.

A few things to consider, but no problems that can't be sorted out.

- What are you going to do with all of the stuff you're leaving in Australia?

- Take the minimum, buy clothes when you're there if you need more. 

- There's probably job agencies that can line a job up for you before you go

- Try to go near friends if you know anyone over there, it will make a huge difference

- Which Hockey team are you going to follow? Everyone hates the leafs except for leafs fans, so you might want to pick a Western Canadian team like Vancouver. 

Good advice from Smoten.

Working Holiday visa takes about 6 weeks.

The hardest part is navigating their ridiculous website.

My daughter just got one.

You will need cash or a job offer.

Having things sorted before you come means less hassle with the border people.

Get a place to stay, and a job offer if possible.

Or have access to upwards of $2500.

You don't need to bring cash though, if you have bank accounts and cards with that sort of money on them, you can access Aus banks through Canadian machines.

Every birthday and Christmas our family at home puts money into our Bendigo Bank account and we just go to a local bank and take it out. Everyone except HSBC charges $2 for the privilege, but it's all connected.

Pre-paid visa is another good idea. Put $2500 on a visa card and bring it over.

Make sure you have a current statement showing the money is on the card though.

As far as doing it, you'll wonder what not doing it was like if you don't.

Yeah, it's a big move, but as Smoten says, if it's only a year, it will fly.

You will probably get two years, depending on your age.

If you're in a skilled position at the end of the time, you can apply for a resident visa.

But you then need a job offer and a Work Visa for the time you're in the country, but outside the original Working Holiday Visa.

The two above are correct…I’ll add my 2c from when I went

• look into a round the world ticket, or London return via Canada. It will probably cost the same, and if things go pear shaped, head to Europe for the running of the bulls, and back for the next winter season.
  • there was a limited number of visas available per year, so apply now.
  • don’t expect to be the only Aussie there, the place is crawling with them
  • if you get a job working for the company that owns the resort (ie the Lifts) then you might earn less but probably pick up a season ski pass included.
  • Prepare to attend a JOB FAIR interview where they fill all vacancies before the season starts. A bit of a google search shows me there’s 2 options…Aussie places that will ask you to pay, and you can get an interview here in August with a supposed guaranteed job (sounds dodgy) Or each of the mountains make you apply with the aim of getting an interview in September or October at the resort or a nearby town. All the big mountains make it pretty clear what they need you to do.
  • do some research on what hill/town you want to be near as to what you want your on and off mountain lifestyle to be like.

Go for it man, you’ll have a ball, my only regret (at the time) was that I came back after a year, that was 15 years ago, and it’s some of my fondest memories. I’m now planning to go again as a professional business person with a family in tow.

I didn't go to Canada but I up and moved from Mildura and lived in Europe for 2 years.

I took about $2000 and one backpack.

My advice would be to get your visa early, don't get your heart too set on certain plans and be open minded.

In my case, that meant being able to leave at the drop of a hat from one place to the next. It was great because friends I made threw up new opportunities. A boss I had in London opened his own bar in York, so i just went with him because I knew and liked him. in Ireland, a friend of a girl who worked in a pub with, who I knew for approximately one lock-in, gave me her apartment in Kilarney for 6 weeks when she went home. 

Also, the first hostel you stay in might open up new opportunities or crush your plans as there may be unforeseen issues.

No matter what you do though, a ticket home or some cash in the bank means you're never more than about 24 hours from home if ■■■■ hits the fan. So be brave about your travels.

A friend I know ended up working(ish) at Burning Man after going over to America to do IT. Stuff just happens.

or just come to London, you might like it here more. Less skiing, but more of everything else.

I'm thinking about quitting my job to go live in Canada for a year and work the snow etc.
It's a pretty new idea and I probably don't know how big it really is and what it would entail and be like.
Just wondering if people had any stories about them doing something similar and what they took with them and needed and just general experiences that would be good to read and can help me scope the situation!
Cheers

got a mate who married a Canadian girl and moved over there.

he s cold, depressed and homesick. mind you his wife's a total moll.

don't do it.

I'm thinking about quitting my job to go live in Canada for a year and work the snow etc.
It's a pretty new idea and I probably don't know how big it really is and what it would entail and be like.
Cheers

don't do it.

Move to Canada or marry a slapper?

Cheers

don't do it.

Move to Canada or marry a slapper?

stay local. then marry someone nice.

Needs to be said, but Laters, Mink.

i guess i would leave my stuff, of which theres not a massive amount, either at my parents or in a storage location. I have to be out of my current house in the next 2 weeks and i am 31 in mid April so i really need to make a decision soon given that the cutoff for the easy working visa is the end of your 30th year.

i have mates living over there and another mate here who is checking into his mates who run a mountain and snow park in banff. i think the job part will be pretty easy with my contacts.

i will still go for the caps! but my canadian team im not sure bout yet... prob have to be a west team. i dont mind vancouver.

i have 6.5 weeks of long service leave saved up which could easily be that money i need, i just need to look into whether i quit or try to get some kind of extended leave for a year. bit scared of quitting.

upping and leaving my life of which i got into a bit of a rut the last few years is pretty daunting but i think if i dont do it then ill get depressed or something! something has to give.