Moving country

I moved to PNG for three years.

Go there.

Do you still throw carrots and capsicums into the spa?

Out of habit yes.....

i guess i would leave my stuff, of which theres not a massive amount, either at my parents or in a storage location. I have to be out of my current house in the next 2 weeks and i am 31 in mid April so i really need to make a decision soon given that the cutoff for the easy working visa is the end of your 30th year.

i have mates living over there and another mate here who is checking into his mates who run a mountain and snow park in banff. i think the job part will be pretty easy with my contacts.

i will still go for the caps! but my canadian team im not sure bout yet... prob have to be a west team. i dont mind vancouver.

i have 6.5 weeks of long service leave saved up which could easily be that money i need, i just need to look into whether i quit or try to get some kind of extended leave for a year. bit scared of quitting.

upping and leaving my life of which i got into a bit of a rut the last few years is pretty daunting but i think if i dont do it then ill get depressed or something! something has to give.

I just move house...moved sides of the city in 2008 and currently planning to do the Seachange.

I looked into it last year, unfortunately my visa got knocked back.

Have a look at agencies such as IEP who will help you out to a degree (although they were useless re my visa).

I'd recommend going someone that isnt crawling with aussies, I was most keen on Panaroma mountain as a mate had told me he spent a season there and there was only a handful of aussies there, plus they get really good powder.

Go for it! I will regret not being able to do it for the rest of my life I think.

If it’s powder you seek. Look no further than a little hill called Powder King. Out of this world

i guess i would leave my stuff, of which theres not a massive amount, either at my parents or in a storage location. I have to be out of my current house in the next 2 weeks and i am 31 in mid April so i really need to make a decision soon given that the cutoff for the easy working visa is the end of your 30th year.

i have mates living over there and another mate here who is checking into his mates who run a mountain and snow park in banff. i think the job part will be pretty easy with my contacts.

i will still go for the caps! but my canadian team im not sure bout yet... prob have to be a west team. i dont mind vancouver.

i have 6.5 weeks of long service leave saved up which could easily be that money i need, i just need to look into whether i quit or try to get some kind of extended leave for a year. bit scared of quitting.

upping and leaving my life of which i got into a bit of a rut the last few years is pretty daunting but i think if i dont do it then ill get depressed or something! something has to give.

One of my motivations for moving to Canada was that I felt I was in a rut. I was 25, single, earning good money but bored with my job and at a point where a lot of friends who'd stayed in Australia were settling down and starting families, while other friends had moved overseas and had interesting lives. I saw it as a choice between continuing on, getting a mortgage and settling in to pay it off as fast as possible, or adding a bit of adventure to my life. A black and white decision whereas I probably could have stayed in Australia and made other decisions to make my life more interesting and to get out of the rut. 

In all honesty I would say my results were mixed because the move didn't fix the feeling of being in a rut, or give me a job I was excited about and at times I was a bit depressed. I did learn a hell of a lot about myself. I've also had some pretty great adventures and it set me on a path I've eventually become quite happy with, having moved on to London now (which I prefer) and using it as a base to travel around Europe.

There are some key differences for me between my move to Canada and my move to London.

- My London friends are Australians who I've known since University and my cousin... some of my best friends. My Canadian friends were great but I was always a bit of an outsider with them as I met them all over there.

- London has move going on culturally than Canada and the places nearby are much more diverse than Canada so I find it to be a more interesting place to live.

- The weather in London is worse, we don't really have a summer and winter should be colder because snow is better than rain.

- Socially London is more diverse, it's perfectly normal for people in their 30s to go out to pubs and bars. It's very rare to look around a venue and feel like the oldest person there, I did get that feeling in Canada.

Anyway enough of me pumping up London. Hopefully I've given you some food for thought. Don't expect the move to solve the issue of feeling in a rut, but maybe it will turn the rut into a groove.

Finally I've seen plenty of people move back to Australia and most have quickly managed to set themselves up again in a decent job, so unless your career is something unusually special you should be able to come back to it. 

Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

I'm thinking about quitting my job to go live in Canada for a year and work the snow etc.
It's a pretty new idea and I probably don't know how big it really is and what it would entail and be like.
Just wondering if people had any stories about them doing something similar and what they took with them and needed and just general experiences that would be good to read and can help me scope the situation!
Cheers

got a mate who married a Canadian girl and moved over there.

he s cold, depressed and homesick. mind you his wife's a total moll.

don't do it.

They didn't recently move to Dryden by any chance?

Do it.

I moved to the Middle East (Abu Dhabi) for three years.

It was a great experience.  There will be things that frustrate you about it and things you'll love.

If you are only going for a short time I wouldn't bother shipping your stuff over - I think you're on the right path in leaving at your parent's place.  Depending on how much stuff you have you could burn through lots of cash just shipping it over on the slow boat.

Lots of other good advice already regarding bank accounts and the like.  Get onto the visa as early as possible and don't lose your passport two weeks before you're meant to leave (like I did - f@ckin expensive business sorting that out).

Do it. I transferred internally at my workplace from Melbourne to New York 6 months ago, good change of pace. Australia will always be there and you're a lot more likely to regret not going, than going even if things don't work out as planned.

Agree with other posters, don't ship your stuff, it's expensive - it was about $4k for me (well, work footed the bill, but that was the cost) and that was really just the contents of my bedroom (1 small ship container).

Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

Ha! I kept thinking the same thing with this thread.

prepare to drink ■■■■ milk

I'm thinking about quitting my job to go live in Canada for a year and work the snow etc.
It's a pretty new idea and I probably don't know how big it really is and what it would entail and be like.
Just wondering if people had any stories about them doing something similar and what they took with them and needed and just general experiences that would be good to read and can help me scope the situation!
Cheers

got a mate who married a Canadian girl and moved over there.

he s cold, depressed and homesick. mind you his wife's a total moll.

don't do it.

They didn't recently move to Dryden by any chance?

could have. was in Calgary but havnt spoken for a while.

initials RB.

some great experiences! good luck with the decision PM. 

I've considered relocating to Canada. Vancouver and Toronto are on top of the list if I ever was able to relocate.

prepare to drink ■■■■ milk

They still selling that? Always tasted better than the other stuff to be honest.

Have you applied for your Visa yet?

I've considered relocating to Canada. Vancouver and Toronto are on top of the list if I ever was able to relocate.

What are you going to do? 

I've been living in Toronto for the last year - if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them! If you're from a finance I would only consider Toronto - almost all big business is HQ'd here.

Just got word last night that my visa won't be extended beyond the end of August due to my age. So that l means l will be looking elsewhere for work and a new place to live. This is the longest l have ever worked in one place, it has been good to me. The people have been very friendly, all of them. l have 5 months to find something and organize my move, which l think l am going to have to do in stages. Right now l favour a return to Thailand if something suitable can be found, with Vietnam running a close second. That could change next week when l return to Vietnam to visit some friends. Other possibilities are Cambodia and Myanmar, l could end up further afield, but l want to remain in this hemisphere. 

Just got word last night that my visa won't be extended beyond the end of August due to my age. So that l means l will be looking elsewhere for work and a new place to live. This is the longest l have ever worked in one place, it has been good to me. The people have been very friendly, all of them. l have 5 months to find something and organize my move, which l think l am going to have to do in stages. Right now l favour a return to Thailand if something suitable can be found, with Vietnam running a close second. That could change next week when l return to Vietnam to visit some friends. Other possibilities are Cambodia and Myanmar, l could end up further afield, but l want to remain in this hemisphere. 

Presumably because you're banned from coming back to Oz.

Thought of Manus Island?

tumblr_masaut09dT1r2kkvco1_1280.jpg