Mr Lite 'n' Easy Retiring at seasons end

I’m a harsh critic.
For me an A grade game is 5+ goals or 30+ touches with a significant influence on the game so someone consistently getting B/B+ has had an exceptional career.
Bit like Burgoyne in that he hasn’t had a career full of Ablett-esque games but most importantly has stood up when it’s counted

Hodge is who we wished McVeigh would be for us.

3 Likes

We got the wrong McVeigh. Doubled up with the wrong Jetta.

1 Like

[quote=“redbull, post:159, topic:10934, full:true”]
Amazing the lack of respect here for Hodge. Clearly he had his faults but he was an amazing leader who stood up in big games. Not sure what else you want from a footballer. We would all have absolutely loved him if he wore red and black. His issues off field and even on field should do nothing to diminish his standing in the game. As has been bandied around he will deservingly go straight into the Hall of Fame.

In saying that one of my favourite nights of footy was a 2009 match where we belted them - despite Buddy getting his token 5 against us. They were coming off a premiership and the lack of respect they showed towards us that night was non-existent. It was best highlighted by the defensive forward role Monfries played on Hodge. Over 50,000 were there to see Gus have 22 touches and kick 2 while Hodge only had 11 disposals. Remember it so well as I highlighted to a poo and wee supporter everytime Gus did something! Fair to say I went home smiling!!
[/quote]yeah, also remember that day how he started jumper punching Ryder and Lonergan, got off scot free while those two got suspended for the final the next week.

He’s a ■■■■ and I don’t give a ■■■■ how well he could kick a leather ball nor how well he could yell at a teammate to pick up his opponent for him.

He’s no better than Nathan Jones, his good fortune he was drafted to the right club.

3 Likes

Also worth remembering that it was 2 years or so before he was even a good player…for those impatient for high draftees to become instant superstars.

2 Likes

I’ll never forget a practice match out at Casey where he was roughing up hird and digging knees in whilst he was on the ground. Scumbag.

1 Like

Reported three times. No suspension. Left Pev with a bloodied face too.

2 Likes

His ■■■■-headery transcends his football ability.

1 Like

Captained his side to 3 flags in a row. Might not have been the best player and maybe had a bit of luck along the way with timing and team mates but jeez he must have been decent to keep getting picked for 300 and win 2 norm smiths.
I’m not saying he’s a top bloke or a white knight but I’m sure if our lives were scrutinized like his we’d find a few drink driving sniping dogs amongst us.
I hate hawthorn more than any other team but can’t deny he’s had pretty much the ultimate career.

5 Likes

Players who consistently perform well on the big stage in winning finals are respected the most. The only players to debut for Essendon since 2002 who have done that are James Kelly and Paul Chapman.

Carey was such a loser. No one ever took him seriously.

1 Like

Who is the right Jetta? Neville or Lewis?

1 Like

Carey was the most dominant force I’ve ever seen on the football field. Until 1999 we couldn’t beat them if he was playing. Whilst I hated him as a teenager out of fear and jealousy, I admire him as the best players I’ve ever seen in person.

4 Likes

Either.

Neville is an interesting player. Just hung in there for the first 3-4 years of his career and looked gone under Neelde but got transformed under Roos and is now one of the first selected. It’s a great story of persistence on his and Melbourne’s parts.

I think Neville’s a lot more reliable.

He doesn’t deserve 175 posts.

If he enters the media post career, he will be another commentator I have on mute.

3 Likes

Such a boys club that, even more reason to hate the afl, and why most commentators are really STUPID.

He’s turned out that way. Neeld had him as a small forward but he struggled in that role where as Roos got the best out of him as an attacking half back. Good player.

Nothing surer. Nothing.

Finish your Lasarrrgggna and ■■■■ off!

2 Likes