Mrp

Not sure if there is a thread somewhere but I reckon 5 weeks for May is a bit harsh. I thought it was a great bump!

How does Lycett only cop a fine for the off the ball hit on Ziebell?

Let’s see them follow the precedent when some Sydney player pulls a Barry Hall/Andrew Dunkley in the prelim final.

What the heck? The MRP has decided to be consistent, when did that happen?

CARLTON forward Levi Casboult has become the second player in two weeks to be suspended for a ‘tummy tap’ after the Match Review Panel handed him a one-match ban for striking Kyle Hartigan.

In a verdict that will put all players on notice, Casboult’s punch to the stomach of his opponent was graded as intentional conduct with medium impact to the body.

It underlines a willingness from the MRP to come down harder on players for such strikes after the issuing of $1000 fines failed to deter them from blatantly punching opponents.

Casboult will miss Sunday’s clash against West Coast at the MCG if he accepts the sanction. The Blues have until 11am Tuesday to weigh up a challenge.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-11/casboult-banned-for-stomach-strike-lycett-fined

Left the ground, no eyes for the ball, went past the ball, hit a player directly on who wasn’t expecting the hit, hit him in the head with the shoulder and knocked the player out.

Always going to be a quite a few weeks. Maybe 3-4 would have been enough but they like to get one in early in the season to make a statement.

My issue isn’t that he got 5 weeks, my issue is that when someone like a Fyfe does it, they get off.

Not sure if there is a thread somewhere but I reckon 5 weeks for May is a bit harsh. I thought it was a great bump!

It was a very average bump. You can’t leave the ground or run past the ball just to belt someone.

Nothing tough about it

If it was 1983.

It had to get more weeks than Dempsey’s tackle it was much more dangerous.

Nothing great about that thug act.

So you’d be OK receiving a bump like that on the field on a Sat arvo while having your eyes on the ball ???

and a punch in the head, as soft as it was, is still only worth a week? riiiggghhhtt.

Yeah but it should have been reduced as Vickery was on the receiving end

Left the ground, no eyes for the ball, went past the ball, hit a player directly on who wasn't expecting the hit, hit him in the head with the shoulder and knocked the player out.

Always going to be a quite a few weeks. Maybe 3-4 would have been enough but they like to get one in early in the season to make a statement.

My issue isn’t that he got 5 weeks, my issue is that when someone like a Fyfe does it, they get off.

Hodgey can elbow people in the throat and get away with it for being so god damn courageous.

Nothing great about that thug act.

So you’d be OK receiving a bump like that on the field on a Sat arvo while having your eyes on the ball ???

Had my shoulder dislocated by a guy running past the ball and had no problem with it. I grew up playing that if you were within five metres of the ball then you were fair game, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with taking out an opponent so your teammate could pick up the loose ball with no pressure.

Times have changed though, and today’s footballers are taller, faster, bigger, leaner, stronger and simply more powerful than two decades ago.
A hit that was okay then could kill someone now.
I used to be against the ‘softening’ of the game, but I’m not anymore.

I think people are forgetting as well that his bump was perfectly legit til he made direct contact to Martin’s head
There’s no rules anywhere that state you can’t run past the ball to bump nor is there a rule saying you can’t leave the ground to bump
These 2 factors just count against you should you make contact to the head

And it should too Eastie. The focus on brain trauma caused by concussion is very strong these days and for a very good reason, many past footballers continue to suffer because of it. We need to protect a player’s head from traumatic injuries.

I think people are forgetting as well that his bump was perfectly legit til he made direct contact to Martin's head There's no rules anywhere that state you can't run past the ball to bump nor is there a rule saying you can't leave the ground to bump These 2 factors just count against you should you make contact to the head
Ablett Senior got suspended for body hits within five metres, FWIW.

He was a scary seriously solid bastardo.

5 weeks for may is stupid.
don’t they have a calendar.

And it should too Eastie. The focus on brain trauma caused by concussion is very strong these days and for a very good reason, many past footballers continue to suffer because of it. We need to protect a player's head from traumatic injuries.

Completely agree
More just pointing out he gets off if all contact is torso on torso

Reckon the MRP is going soft on striking. a few cases that got fines could have got one week

5 weeks for a Suns player shocked me the most!