Music You've Been Listening To

There’s something just a little bit voyeuristic about watching this version of “My Funny Valentine”, one of the greatest of all ballads and from Rodgers and Hart, by one of my favourite young vocalists, Becca Stevens. She’s guesting on Chris Tordini’s CD but I venture to suggest something very personal is going on here, she nearly loses it in the first half, which isn’t like Becca at all. I reckon she has something, or someone, painful in mind.
Less than a 100 hits at present but for mine it’s very special. Poignant and powerful and almost embarrassingly candid.
The bassist , Greg Ruggerio from Becca’s own trio, nods insistently at the end, he knows they’ve captured a moment.
About as heart on the sleeve as it gets.

Taking a break from Keith Jarrett’s recent solo 4 CD “Multitude of Angels” release which has been on repeat play for nearly 2 weeks now since I picked it up in JB Hifi cheaper than the US Amazon download price. Incidentally if you’ve a relative who’s a Jarrett fan, and there are plenty of us out there, Xmas is sorted, believe me, but it’s nowhere on the Tube so I can’t share it.

Anyway you might want to argue with this clip’s regular designation as the apogee of super groups but you’d be hard pressed to find a “higher” lineup, I read that Ben Webster, who takes the first solo, is the only non user in the band. It’s from a famous broadcast called “The Sound Of Jazz” from 57 and has been called the most emotionally poignant performance in all of Jazz. The lineup is stellar, besides Webster, it features Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan and Roy Eldridge and for the non jazz fan it rarely gets better than that. Unless you add arguably the greatest of them all, Lester Young, the second soloist and six months from death.
Lester and Billy were one of the great partnerships but they’d had a falling out and hadn’t spoken to each other for years. For context Billy and Lester, who made innovative understatement an artform in an era of excess, had been spiritual and musical partners, Billy had lived with Lester’s family for an extended period and they made several of their greatest recordings together. But that was years before this and the falling out.They apparently avoided eye contact during rehearsals but Lester came on and did what he did, but only as Lester could, and Billy just dug it, you can feel it and see it. Noone really knows if they were ever lovers but this clip has been cited as evidence for the defence.
Billy is just wonderful here, and let’s be honest, she wasn’t always at this stage in her career. She was a serious user who had been playing in ■■■■■■ bands and her voice, which famously only had a one octave range at the best of times, is shot to pieces but she lays it out there, she couldn’t let Lester down. She was only 42 but she had less than 2 years left.
As for the band, it was “Anything for Billy”.
If you haven’t heard it, do yourself a favour.

Little bitter poppier than I normally like, but still enjoyable still looking forwards to their new album

State spec.
So proud of LMW.
First backing vocalist on the left.

Neil Cowley claims he is the most listened to anonymous piano player around which confuses me because I’ve been listening to his trio for yonks but I’ve never actually heard this Adele, whoever the hell she is, other than Cowley’s regular employer. All context I suppose. At least this Adele person has good taste in accompanists.
His new album, “Spacebound Apes” is a tribute to Arthur C Clarke and this track is probably the only track I’ve ever posted with a ridgy-didge film clip. I missed them when they toured a few years back and I’m still cursing.
The first track is peppy and chunky and catchy but the album covers the gamut of the trio’s range from minimalism to the cavalry coming over the ridge triumphalism to the limpid beauty of the second offering.
It’s all up on Spotify.

Les Claypool + Sean Lennon

Had no idea Sean was so good on guitar.

I’ve never liked Green Day, but I liked Billy’s performance in this gig

The 'Bus is one band I’ve always wanted to see live

A bloke for work is the frontman for this band Dusk. It’s not bad and I’m sure they’d appreciate a couple of views

Trolling through youtube looking for new music to listen to and found this album by Trees Of Eternity

(The band Trees of Eternity is a musical collaboration between Finnish guitarist Juha Raivio and Sweden-based, South African-born singer Aleah. Their music is often described as down-tempo, doom/death-inspired melancholia with ghostly female vocals):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAYLA6hIis

Aleah sadly passed away quite some time before this album was released. This has also raised the bands profile, as it does. I’m yet to give it a listen, but I’ve heard good things

Space rock

1 Like

Not a fan of the tunes
Would wife the bird though

1 Hit Wonder Judie Tzuke with her 1979 ballad “Stay with Me till Dawn”
Beautiful voice…

More contemporary, but no less beautiful, Agnes Obel with the incredibly relaxing “Fuel to Fire”

Never really got into ghost until I heard this one

Kill Devil Hills, newly discovered, may have been mentioned here already, been around 10 tears??. Surprised i couldn’t find a Perth band’s 1st LP CD anywhere in Aus, so ordered from Germany.