Music You've Been Listening To

Re. The Fall, yeah 80-83 is strong. Another entry point I found was the Brix Smith era, where they had a pop sensibility about them at times. Took me years to appreciate and enjoy them. In the 90’s I was obsessed with Pavement and now when I listen to any of their first few offerings, all I hear is The Fall.

I reckon they’re a band that’s just as interesting to read or watch a doco about as they are to listen to. The prickly ramblings of Mark E.Smith, his unique lyrical and vocal style, the 70 odd band members in 40 years who have either been sacked or gotten sick of him, he looks about 80 now. In one of the docos one of the interviewees, it may have been Phill Jupitus said something along the lines of still listening to them and loving them but thinking they’re the worst band he’s ever heard.

1 Like

One of his best early sessions

A couple of tracks to prove Slowhand can get funky. The first one is from the Tommy Soundtrack album, which is shorter and a bit faster than the version featured in the film, l reckon this one is the superior version. l still remember the Rolling Stone review of this track, which got it completely wrong.

The second track is quite similar to the original, but works equally well.

1 Like

Two tracks featuring some of the best vocals l had heard in many years. The first track l heard once and had no details on. l asked a lot of people about this track for a long time, without any success in finding out it was Massive Attack until after Mezzanine came out. IIRC this track won some award(s) for the vocals, it is easy to hear why.

Why this track did not become some sort of anthem l will never know. Simply superb. Hadn’t seen this clip before, it features Andy Serkis.

1 Like

Just an epic track,

Janes addiction - 3 days

6 Likes
3 Likes

Always been a Psychos fan, but their new stuff certainly ain’t as good as their old stuff, lyrically.

Nice to go the pub, go to the pub, go the pub.
Nice day to have a beer, have a beer, have a beer.

Quality.

It’s almost a sequel to one of the classics off ‘Go the hack - Pub’ where they pretty much rattle off what pubs they drink at.

Just spat me beer out,farkn classic. I’m always laughing at their lyrical depth, have been for near on 30 years.

Lol’d at the name of the backing singers on that Psychos song: The Chiko Molls

1 Like

Psychos old guitarist often used to wear a duffel coat with ‘Merv Neagle’ on the back of it.

2 Likes

Daughter’s band (Display homes, Climate Change) made BBC 6 best new music of 2017. Pretty Stoked

6 Likes

Tezza, was that your daughter on vocals?

An oldie but a goodie. The stand out track for me, has always been Pollution Woman. All three players in outstanding form.

Yeah she drums too

Just found this little beauty on youtube:

Some eye of the tiger bullshit that some little kid is singing during the GF.

Relaxing.