Music You've Been Listening To

Speaking of Richard Thompson we can say an artist has truly achieved music icon status when other artists do a compilation album of covers. This is my fave track from Beat the Retreat with a very class cover of When the Spell is Broken by Bonnie Raitt, backed on vocals by the Five Blind Boys Alabama. This one drips with soul from start to finish. More from richard Thompson coming later.

That Albumn in particular was the soundtrack to a major turning point in my life.

That is what unfortunately is happening to music…Its a sad reflection on the youth of today.

Had this on this morning…

1 Like

hey dont blame Jimmy Barnes on the youth of today

Not sure why you’re all bagging Youth Of Today, their tunes were pretty cool. :wink:

1 Like

But ask yourself why would he even want to get involved in that ■■■■■…not that he has ever been my cup of tea but hey the power of the redbull dollar may have won this time!

in lieu of stranger things.

As threatened / promised recently a smattering of my favourite Richard Thompson tracks. l find it difficult to separate these and say which is my favourite, so l lump them together. The female vocals on the third track are by his then wife Linda.

The last track l use in my ESL training courses, to show what can be done with songs for listening exercises, l have 7 different activities for it.

I just binged on that style of synthwave music about a week ago. For a couple of days I couldn’t get enough of it!

I have fallen in love with this simple piece in the process:

1 Like

Have you fallen into the NewRetroWave rabbit hole yet?

At this stage, only my foot is caught…

I will still be able to escape, provided you don’t bring my attention to more songs that I like.

just go easy…

1 Like
1 Like

hijacking the thread with dope 80’s bangers

1 Like
2 Likes

One time Bruce Springfield sidekick last seen in The Sopranos.

3 Likes

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the magazine Rolling Stone, they have released a list of their 500 best songs. The list is sure to generate a lot of discussion which is one of the primary reasons for putting something like this together, in the first place. l stopped reading that rag a long time ago because of their blatant biases, were all part of an agenda they had set up. There are plenty of good songs in this list that l agree with, even if l would shuffle the order considerably, just as there are plenty of songs here that l would omit. It is no surprise that the top song they chose is Like a Rolling Stone, and # 2 is a song the Rolling Stones. l would have them the other way around, but then l am not American. Oh, and they also had the same song twice, by two different artists. so that should take one off the 500. Weird.

You can hear the 500 songs here, but they are in random order.

RIP Chuck

5 Likes