Music You've Been Listening To

Heads up…J files tonight on Double J on The Oils, … hosted by Peter Garret.

New ‘STP’

4 Likes

I’m a huge Marcy fanboy. I loved the UN album when it dropped but my jaw hit the floor when Marcberg came out. He’s the only artist I have a signature on an LP from.

1 Like

Not from the 80’s but sounds very much like it is.

1 Like

Oh he’s super tight, nuanced and I reckon on just about every album, has a mention of ‘Rod Lavers’ which is probably some kind of adidas endorsement. By coincidence we both own the same New York Islanders hat (I’m a huge fan of the Isles and I guess he’s just repping his native Strong Island) and he’s exactly a year younger than me to the day. Suppose you could classify me as a fanboy too for observing such trivial details.

1 Like

yeah you fanboy!

1 Like

got on to a Type O kick the other night. havent listened to them for a very long time. their stuff still holds up.

They say if you can’t beat them, join them, but this is a turn up for the books. This won’t matter to everyone but ECM, the iconic jazz, ambient, classical etc etc etc label out of Germany, say they’ve had enough of the pirating of their extraordinary catalogue and have released it all on Spotify. Every bit of it, apparently. They’ve held out valiantly against the streaming tide but I guess they figure it’s better the devil you know and all that.
That includes countless cds from giants like Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Arvo Part, Carla Bley, Bill Frisell, Vijay Iyer, Stephano Bollani, Steve Reich, Nik Bartsch etc etc etc.
For me it is one of the great treasure troves of modern music. Not sure if it’s good or bad, especially considering the controversy over artist royalties but I guess I’ll be spending a lot more time on Spotify. Pity they didn’t tell me before I forked out big dollars for Jarrett’s wonderful “Multitude of Angels” 4 set. Not really, I still like the feel of a CD and ECM covers are pretty special.

1 Like

rhis Was already a classic before I’d heard of it, Still is.

Black flag - Nervous Breakdown (no relation to my current state of mind, just a classic)

7 Likes

Go-Betweens doco on Artsville on ABC1 tonight.

2 Likes

An acquaintance of mine, John “Jughead” Pierson of Screeching Weasel, put together a really cool blog post yesterday, going through all the major influences on his band during their formative years. He did it as a reaction to Rolling Stone’s recent lame list of the top 50 pop-punk albums of all time, in which SW’s brilliant “My Brain Hurts” was named somewhere in the 30s.
Follow the link to read cool little write ups on the songs he’s listed, plus YouTube links. Some awesome punk stuff on there you may have missed, plus other fun tunes.

Shame to never see this live.

Still onnof mu favourite tracks. The drumming and bass are just relentless.

6 Likes

Probably a repost, worth it

3 Likes

Turning back the clock

2 Likes

it might have been a blessing in disguise to be honest. i saw them at soundwave and their set was quite possibly the worst live show ive ever seen by anyone. the entire band lacked any sort of energy and clearly didnt want to be there. i could swear matt cameron was falling asleep behind the drumset. chris sounded terrible as well and he wasnt even stretching for the high notes that he was known for. it was a major disappointment. i grew up listening to soundgarden and to see that performance was soul destroying.

1 Like

Man that sucks to hear.

Had the same experience in ‘05 with Mudhoney at The Corner, I almost actually felt embarrassed to be there. though ive seen them before that and again in ‘08 and they were awesome.

man, this comp didn’t leave my cd player for 6 months.

4 Likes

The full discographies of Primus and Ween.

2 Likes

Listening to a lot of Body Count - Cop Killer (think that’s the album name). Got Ice T frontman.

As far as hardcore, metal rap crossover or whatever it is. It’s a great album.

Contains strong themes and wasn’t sure I’d post via the Work Phone.

Great album.

1 Like

Have you heard the Judgment Night soundtrack? That Slayer/Ice T tune was ace. A whole rap/rock compilation that worked really well. Helmet and House Of Pain, dayum cool tune.

1 Like