Music You've Been Listening To

Vale Joao Gilberto, king of bossa nova guitar and the original singer of “The Girl from Ipanema”. According to legend, and Mal Stanley on Jazztrack (which is essentially the same thing), Joao could only speak Portuguese and got his wife Astrud to do the English bits, and the rest, as they say, is history. Great sax from Stan Getz.
Do they come any more iconic than this? Allegedly the second most popular/played/recorded song of the 20th Century, behind Yesterday.

PS Some speculation suggests the original girl from Ipanema was 17. Hate to think how old she is now. Joao made it to 88. Astrud is still going I gather.
3 Likes

Heard this Mongolian throat-singing rock band for the first time while travelling to
the Swans game. Been playing it regularly ever since.

The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZYUJOnLbY …only 11 views so far on youtube… Youv’e got that something that would make a chicken squawk , you got the good stuff ,

1 Like

I love that song.

1 Like
1 Like

Ghost - Prequelle is an epic album!

1 Like

Ghost are Blue oyster cult for people that are too young to know who they are (this included me).

1 Like

Happy 40th

1 Like

Colin Hopkins is one of the great melodic/creative talents in OZ music, has been for decades, and no one appears to notice.
The epitome of exquisite touch.

I’d post “Kali” from his wonderful solo album “Still” but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth, or the Net, which is essentially the same thing.

WHERE ARE MY TOOL ALBUMS!!!

1 Like

Can always listen to old Psychos.

5 Likes

I’ve posted Theo Bleckmann a few times before. A truly great singer and honestly there aren’t many, at least in my op. Influenced by and sang with the great Meredith Monk. Takes this modern classic for a ride.

The British wunderkind, Jacob Collier, tends to irritate me at times, and I’m not sure why; maybe it’s all those teeth and the blatant charisma. He is ridiculously technically talented and surrounds himself with serious talent, the wonderful Becca Stevens is a clear case in point here.
Lovely harmonies throughout.

I mean…

Going through a blues period

1 Like