Music You've Been Listening To

1 Like

Mostly for the killer artwork

This took me down a rabbit-hole of things I hadnā€™t listened to in a while and led me to here:

1 Like

Iā€™m not aware of this band but that sounded good, Iā€™ll have to check out some more!

1 Like

The album (Psonic Psunspot) and mini-album (25 Oā€™Clock) released by pseudonymous The Dukes Of The Stratosphear in the mid-late 80ā€™s are the most accurate patisches of the 60ā€™s that Iā€™ve heard. All the touchstones are there - The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Move, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Bacharach etc. Deliberately derivative, but strong enough songs in their own right.

The two records (which you can find packaged up together as Chips From The Chocolate Fireball) are like the whole of the 60ā€™s smashed into one collection.

No prizes for guessing which song this is modelled onā€¦

Iā€™m an unashamed fan of the Beach Boys. Perhaps its a bit of a cliche, but I find their music ranges from revolutionary to utter tripe, but their, or mostly Brian Wilsons story, eminently interesting. Thereā€™s so much to dig into with respect to his personal struggles and how that shaped the music they produced and the fortunes of the group in general.

Moreso than any other band Iā€™ve followed, the music that Brian produced is a direct window into his headspace at the time of its creation, and it ranges from utterly perfect chaos, to garish childlike naivete.

Iā€™ve been listening more to their live stuff recently as I think it shows off the talents of the individual members of the group more than their studio albums (aside from Mike Love who ruins almost everything heā€™s lead vocalist in).

Their gig at Knebworth in the 80s, linked above, is considered one of their best, despite being a bunch of middle aged men at the time. I also like to hear how they reproduce their more complicated pieces in a live setting.

Brian Wilson continues to tour with the now Frankenstein-esque remnants of the Beach Boys, however its a sad tale as it is clear he is just being wheeled out in an almost vegetative state.

Well. Donā€™t I feel foolish.
Never gave them the time of dayā€¦

3 Likes

Epic and yet just under 4 minutes longā€¦ glorious!

1 Like

When you say Epicā€¦is that the label the track was released on?

I have played BJM in The DJ thread but i am not sure this one. You need to watch the documentary ā€œDig!ā€ On them and the Dandy Warhols. It is awesome

1 Like

You might like this then, the title track for Little Feats third album, with a few special guests. If you like this, just let it keep playing for more LF.

I was lucky enough to see LF live at Festival Hall, around 1974. I had front row seats, and may have been under the influence of a certain illicit substance. My brother lent me his camera and l got this perfect shot of keyboard player Bill Payne, bathed in blue light and framed by the onstage monitors. I was anxious to see the results, but my brother told me none of the pictures came out as the flash wasnā€™t properly synched. Drat.

Incredibly under-valued song from Bobā€™s long and distinguished careerā€¦ That increase in intensity from the solo through to the endā€¦

1 Like

Untitled-3

Leaving aside the original posterā€™s apparent inability to count, I am definitely going to have to give this a whirlā€¦ The ability to remove sax solos? BRING IT!!!

2 Likes

Or the ability to turn those solos up? Yes!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a bit of a quick look-see using Sugar- JC Auto (vocals are too low in the mix), P.Furs - Pretty In Pink (dire sax honking) and M83 - Midnight City (completely unnecessary sax honkingā€¦)

Mixed results - it seems to be signficiantly better at being able to add things (once youā€™ve isolated them), rather than subtract them. Iā€™ve definitely had no luck removing sax, irrespective of the algorithm used.

1 Like

I guess it picks up on sparser, more clearly-defined instrumentation better. Interesting stuff though.