Music You've Been Listening To

Interesting mix of songs there Wim.

As for Public Image, I’ve been a big fan from early on as one of my mates was always playing them when I went around to his place back in the day.

PS: I’ve never really gotten in Roger Waters solo stuff…he’s such a whiny individual in his music.

2 Likes

Amused To Death and Hitchhiking are terrible.

Final Cut (come on) is decent.
KAOS is great. Genuinely.

Is This The Life is legit okay.
Blows Division out of the water.

OMG…absolute blasphemy…The Division Bell is a masterpiece from start to finish.

And it’s not a good comparison (imo) given that they came out over 20 years apart.

Radio K.A.O.S. and The Division Bell are better comparisons as they’re only two years apart.

Yeah, they are.
And Division Bell is, what’s the quote?
Something like a good impersonation?

Oh wait, sorry, that was momentary.
And momentary was a hell of a lot better than division.

And not within touching distance of KAOS.

Quality, they’re comparable to Is This?

Honestly, I don’t get Pink absolutists.
Oh, you’ve lost your singer songwriter, but it’s still good!
Tell me Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away aren’t Gilmour solo tracks, and Roger isn’t Pink.

Just…doesn’t work.

Strong Agree to Disagree on this one.

There’s no middle ground for us to find on this topic.

But such is life :wink:

Fine.
Just give me the three closest in tone post Waters Pink Floyd tracks and we’ll talk.

I’ll give you The Dogs of War, but even that…mbiC…it feels empty.

I don’t get Water’s apologists.

He lost the plot with The Final Cut when he sidelined Gilmour (after already getting rid of Wright).

His ego got too big and he thought he was Pink Floyd…he was an integral part…but he was not the band.

FFS, he left the band and then got peeved when Gilmour and Mason decided to keep going (and recalled Wright just to rub it in).

None of his solo stuff has come anywhere near Pink Floyd quality.

He’s just a grumpy old man who has never gotten over how easily the others moved on from him.

1 Like

Closest in tone to what…Pink Floyd songs written by Roger Waters???

Well…he was the band.
He gave Gilmour a writing credit for a solo, which is pretty…pretty generous. And I think Gilmour had a credit on Run Like Hell.
That’s a lot of tracks to not write.
Final Cut was originally Spare Bricks, and Everyone agrees that when Waters came back to the band; the other members had literally nothing. Why on earth would you stay in that situation?

The idea of Gilmour/Wright as instigators/creators of the band is the biggest con of all time.

It would be like Starr/Harrison calling themselves the Beatles, and I don’t get how no-one sees that.

Gilmour and Wright released solo albums and no-one gave a fark.
They’re charlatans.
They’re session players.

A few good tracks, sure.
They’re not terrible session players.

Obviously?

Doesn’t leave much else.

Remember I sang Money and a bit of Comfortably?
Yeah, you also sang Young Lust.
The low point of a perfect album.

No offence (well, maybe a fair bit is intended) but that is close to the Single Dumbest Comment I’ve read on Blitz…not just in the music threads…but across the entire site.

I think you need to do a bit of reading on the band and it’s history.

Syd Barrett was the original driving force behind the band…just Syd…not Waters.

Then the band brought Gilmour in as Syd’s mental state deteriorated.

Take Gilmour’s guitar playing out and a huge part of the band is lost…he also sang lead on quite a lot of their songs.

Do you like Wish You Were Here…in particular, Shine On You Crazy Diamond?

Wright played a huge part in the writing of that track musically…and it’s a masterpiece.

I’m done with this now…we’re clearly not even close in our opinions and nothing you say is going to change my mind (just as I assume nothing I say will change yours).

Just one final thing…if you haven’t already done so, try and get a copy of “Pigs Might Fly: The Inside Story of Pink Floyd” by Mark Blake…it’s a fascinating read.

I’m well aware of Sid.
I have a bike, you can ride it if you like?

If you want to argue that Pink broke up in 1978, well…that’s something I could consider.

Gilmour and Wright trading as Pink is a money-grabbing joke.

Not buying into this one largely except to say… one of you is overselling the Gilmour-led Floyd and the other is underselling Gilmour & Wright’s contributions to Floyd as a whole. Yes, the songs were largely Waters but sometimes (often) a band is much better than the sum of the parts.

Floyd effectively ended when Waters lost his songwriting and disappeared up his own ego… He worked up complete and pretty-well realised demos of The Final Cut and …Hitch-Hiking and told the others to choose which one they wanted to do. Neither were much chop (I reckon The Final Cut has about 3 memorable songs, and Hitch-Hiking struggles to muster 1) and neither had any room for the others to do anything much.

KAOS has good songs, but is let down by horrible 80’s production. Waters even admits as much (and getting him to run a critical eye over his work is nearly impossible)…

swoods listened to my playlist and then I attacked him.
I feel bad. :frowning:

Also…I’ve had two hours sleep since 9pm!
Yay me!
I may be a little…
Just a little.

But my playlist is friggin’ rad, so it’s all good.

Don’t feel bad…it was just a lively conversation :wink:

1 Like

This just popped up on my itunes list…such a great voice

2 Likes