Music You've Been Listening To

“Iv’e got a tortured mind and my blade is sharp, a bad combination in the dark…If I killed a man, In the first degree, baby, , baby would you flee with me?”

That is such a good lyric

Classic.

What do you guys think of this? I love it. Not what I usually listen to. Trying to get into Pet Shop Boys atm as a result.

Like all those who’ve watched “2001 A Space Odyssey”, I’d heard samples of this Ligeti piece, it’s the source of the Monolith’s musical motif, but last night was the first time I’ve listened to the whole thing. Very dark and sombre.

StTrinians meets Ligeti with an…um…orgasmic finale?

One of the many extraordinary things about the singer, Barbara Hannigan, is that she was 43 when this was performed.

Ive been really getting into hold music. Like what they’re serving up right now on the Crichton stream.

Vale Rudy Van Gelder, possibly, no probably, the most influential sound engineer of them all and the architect, or Svengali, of the signature Blue Note sound. Artists flocked to Blue Note for the Van Gelder treatment, Coltrane, Davis, Monk, Shorter, Rollins, Silver, Hubbard etc, in fact just about everybody…except Mingus, who didn’t like anyone playing around with his sound, and Van Gelder liked to tinker - a bit heavy handed on the reverb for some.
Here are 2 from his litany of memorable classics.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez of The Mars Volta, At the Drive-In is releasing 12 album every 2 weeks until the end of the year.

2 of which are fantastic.

#1. Corazones - very melodic. Almost pop folk. He sings on this with no vocal distortion. It’s was originally recorded for a film score at the time his mother was dying of cancer. Recorded back in 2012. Standout song - we feel the silence

#2. Blind Worms, Pious Swine - last solo album he recorded before recording the Bosnian Rainbows album. Essentially it’s that band playing with him. Terry Gender Bender on back up vocals. Standout song - Atlantis is rising

Omar Rodriguez Lopez of The Mars Volta, At the Drive-In is releasing 12 album every 2 weeks until the end of the year.

2 of which are fantastic.

#1. Corazones - very melodic. Almost pop folk. He sings on this with no vocal distortion. It’s was originally recorded for a film score at the time his mother was dying of cancer. Recorded back in 2012. Standout song - we feel the silence

#2. Blind Worms, Pious Swine - last solo album he recorded before recording the Bosnian Rainbows album. Essentially it’s that band playing with him. Terry Gender Bender on back up vocals. Standout song - Atlantis is rising

1st one sounds interesting

Viet Cong’s s/t debut is my fave album of the past five years easy. Interpol, This Heat, Swans influence.
They got so many complaints about their name (“I’m a millennial, I’m outraged and offended!”) that they’ve changed it to Preoccupations.
The new one is about to drop and it’s kinda dark and gothy it seems. This first single is a grower once you get the vibe of the low droney vocals.

Don’t recall any dancing, lindy hopping?, this good at the Pier in Frangers at last call in the 70s, more likely just looking for the nearest gutter. Seriously if you think white dudes and dudesses can dance you’re kidding yourself.

Leadfinger, The Scrapes, MEAT CAKE, Grindhouse, Audacity, Together Pangea, MC5, The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds”