Music You've Been Listening To

My favourite bit is when he says he’s “workin’ up a thrist”, while eating dry weetbix

Just though I could class up the joint a bit with some classic Aussie tunes

A band with obvious Bowie influences:

https://youtu.be/315qJJ3Y9uA

Yeah, I’m late, not a regular reader here.

This makes more sense now…

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1tu1TX-k9-MdbB7_FO2aHPRQ7bQ=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5853657/tumblr_nzqke6sz7y1sbzhteo1_500.0.gif

Get on board.
Life changing stuff.

so good.

Right said Fred?

Tool - Ænima turns 20 this year.

Link

The ephemerality of time can be a difficult thing to cope with, especially when an eidetic part of your youth becomes a decade older.

Since its 1996 debut, Ænima has changed the life of anyone willing to fully digest its subversive and judicious messaging. Known as not only one of the greatest rock albums to come out of the 90s, but also one of the most untowardly comedic, the transformative arrangement feels as if its born from a realm of both anguish and amusement. The title of the album itself serves as a reminder of this, utilizing the Latin diphthong ligature Æ to create an innately powerful word by combining “Anima” – one’s soul, psyche or spirit – with “Enema” – a device used to flush undesirable matter out of the body.

Tool is among the last major holdouts on digital music, as none of their work is available on any of the streaming services or even iTunes. Of course, however, the only correct way to listen to Tool is an album at a time.

1 Like
Right said Fred?

nope, better

Speaking of the '90s
Hard ons at what appears to be a big day out?

Unsure about this
Far way from their normal sound (basically an upbeat Rammstein)

The Patient - Detox

Just secured my ticket to the upcoming Brad Mehldau solo concert, part of the October Melbourne festival, and I’m over the moon. I’ve seen him in trio and duo format but solo piano is my musical passion and Mehldau, for mine, is the second greatest improvisor on the planet. I don’t know what he’ll play and he probably doesn’t either, and often that’s the way great music is born. He’s also appearing in a duo with Joshua Redman, a wonderful pairing with a great new CD called Nearness, I saw them a few years ago.
Mehldau solo has been in my top 3 concert hit list for many years. Can’t wait…but I have to. 4 weeks.

PS The Wangaratta Jazz festival must be cursing that such contemporary musical royalty is passing through one week before the festival in a year it has been hit but savage and vindictive funding cuts from the federal government (Mehldau played Wangaratta many years ago) but they still have a terrific largely home grown lineup nevertheless.

Goanna - Solid Rock
Yothu Yindi - Treaty

I just love the meaning behind the songs and the didgeridoo is amazing.

Keith Jarrett despises electronic instruments, he calls them kids toys, and only played them in Miles Davis’s band because…well because it was Miles Davis. So it’s sort of surprising how ■■■■■■ brilliant he is here…sort of, except when you remember it’s Jarrett. Other than Bartz the rest of the unit were pop musicians Jarrett was less than complimentary about. Davis had headhunted Jarrett and wanted him on ■■■■■■■ Brew but he couldn’t break previous band commitments, which is sort of a shame when you consider how much he dominated the musical direction of this band, probably Davis’s last decent traveling band. Would have been an interesting pairing with Joe Zawinal, two of music’s great alpha males! What a clash that would have been, blood on the white keys for sure.
Davis apparently told this rattled bass player to stop trying to follow that “Crazy ■■■■” Jarrett and just stick to the rhythm.

PS At the end of the band piece there’s some fascinating early footage of Jarrett solo.

If you can’t stand it when musos play around with classics, you’ll really, really hate this.
But for mine Hiromi is a freak of nature and she can do what she likes. It’s amazing being able to watch her hands, I can barely tie my shoelaces.

And one more because it’s my fav Hiromi track. Not as pyrotechnical as some of her pieces but the epitome of ecstasy.

New Ghost. Rest of new EP is killer too.

If someone is quite knowledgeable in 80s/90s pop and could let me know what song I’m reminded of during the chorus (0:40) that’d be great as it is driving me mental

New Ghost. Rest of new EP is killer too.

https://youtu.be/VqoyKzgkqR4

Probably the greatest band no ones ever heard of.