My First Game

25th August 1991 Subiaco.
We lost by 63 points.
I went by myself. I was 12.
Got yelled at for spending all of my $20.

1 Like

R1 1966 v Geelong at Windy Hill. Had to wait till I was 5 before being allowed to go. Great game. Bombers came home with the fans and wind to run out a couple of goals winners. Fordham kicked a few …I remember being a bit awestruck by Polly Farmer who had so many taps and HBs to Goggin and co. Sammy Newman was their rising star. But we won well.

Completely nailed on thereafter.

2 Likes

First game was in 1986, would’ve been just before my 4th birthday.

Essendon vs someone at Windy Hill. Had just moved to Melbourne from WA. Dad yold us we were going to the football at Windy Hill and were all going for Essendon. Have a vivid memory of sitting in the Allan Hird stand at Windy Hill. Dad bought my sister and I a scraf each and that is about all i can remember.

First game I can remember some significant details of was Round 5 Essendon vs Geelong at Waverley in 1990. Geelong ended up winning by 8 points, 12.17 - 89 to 11.15 - 81.

That game sticks in the memory because Dad almost got into the punch up with 3 Geelomg supporters im front of us because they would not stop swearing in front of his kids.

1 Like

MCG - Sun 4 July 1999 2:10

Essendon 16.12.108
Fremantle 10.12.72

Goals: Alessio 3, Mercuri 3, Wallis 2, Blumfield, Caracella, Lalich, Long, Rioli, Solomon, Ukovic, Young

Forgettable game. Recollection is that it wasn’t as close as the score and we were pretty half-arsed after half time.

I remember Lloyd not playing but I forgot that guys like Ukovic and Lalich and Mark Fraser were in this game. And Mark Johnson was wearing #28.

2 Likes

Anzac Day 1995

I mean how could I not get completely obsessed after that!!

5 Likes

1961 vs Fitzroy at Windy Hill. Bombers lost, my Dad was happy, I cried.

This was mine.

1 Like

We didn’t play them at Home in 1961. Only played them once, and that was at Brunswick St.
Perhaps it was this game in 1960, which was our only loss to them at Windy Hill from 1950 to 1970.

I am sure it was at Windy Hill, so must have been 1960. I remember that we caught the train to Glenbervie Station and walked past a chemist shop that had a crowd trying to buy some “magic” tonic, as my Dad called it. Bombers needed some of it that day.

1 Like

1st game in Melbourne
Bombers vs Swans Marvel 1 April 2006
108 - 81.
Highlight of the year.

1st game in Brisbane
Lions vs Bombers Gabba 10 May 2014
65 - 57
Always great brevy service @Gabba.

Matty Lloyd had 6 at 1/4 time in the first one.

There must have been a few of us at that game. I remember the siren blew at half time, a Freo player had kicked the ball and it was rolling toward goal. It kept going, rolled all the way through and was counted as a goal.

One of the only times I have felt motivated to have a go at the players as they came off the ground - but I saw the anguish on their faces and did not have the heart

My one and only memory of attending Waverly.

1 Like

First game i can remember attending:

Essendon v Melbourne MCG 1992

Yes the comeback game.

Didnt realise til recent years it was actually played on Anzac Day.

2 Likes

WTF ?
I thought you were much older than that.

Im starting to wonder if i know Blitz at all !

1 Like

My Dad took me to my first game when I was 18 months old.
The first game I clearly remember with an emotional attachment was round 3 1986. At Waverly if I’m correct, against the Dogs. Tim Watson did his knee and I was devastated. It was the beginning of our luck running out with injuries in 86 which stopped our incredible run of GF’s & Flags.

I was there & 16 at the time. At 3 quarter time a mate of mine was scrambling to try out a bet on but couldn’t. He was convinced we’d get up and win. And we did. Was it 42 points or something bizarre like that?

Im pretty sure Melb kicked the first goal of the last qtr (Sullivan?) to stretch the lead to 47pts.
Extraordinary comeback really.
Salmon & Somerville dominated the last qtr.

1 Like

2001 v North. The actual comeback game

1 Like

2019 trouncing of the Lions at the G, Walla kicked 7. Got lucky and secured some medallion seats. Roasting hot day.