NAB challenge #1: Essendon v Carlton Ikon Park Sunday 28th Feb 14.05

Its a good place to start and measure where this rag tag bunch of kids and has been mercenaries are, relative to the old enemy.

Who ever our players are, they will play for the proud Essendon Football club, play as a team and play to win, as difficult as that may be under the circumstances.

Who do you expect to star for us, and who will win? See you there on Sunday !

Possible team, largely being Friday’s Black team and the necessary Oranges to get to 26.

B: Qwilt, Hartley, Baguley
HB: Parish, Brown, TIPPA
C: Orazio, Goddard, Gleeson
HF: Zerrett, The, Kommer
F: Polkinghorne, Daniher, Grimley

Foll: Smack, Crowley, Zaka

Bench: Bird, Hams, Jerrett, Edwards, Cooney, Kelly, Stokes, Francis

That’s 11 new players. Obviously include Laverde if OK; possibly Sam Michael if signed. Giles would have got a run…

Are we just going with ‘The’ now, are we?

If it gets people to bite, sure.

As long as we beat carlton( losing to the scum is never acceptable) and don’t get injuries I’m happy.

Earliest game thread ever

Earliest game thread ever

Yep, Bring it on !

Interesting that four of five young draftees have been in rehab - Morgan, Francis Redman and Eates.I’d expect Carlton to be more forward with a game under their belts - Practice games are all about signs.

Encouraged by the showing against Hawthorn, Carlton players and supporters might think we are easybeats . Problem is, Hawthorn have nothing, whatever to prove. The game was simply a hit out against a club way below their class.

We have something to prove; many players have positions they really need to secure for round 1. So I think we are in with a real show.

What does one have to do to go to this? Can I just rock up with my EFC membership card and those bastards will let me in?

What does one have to do to go to this? Can I just rock up with my EFC membership card and those bastards will let me in?
I think so.

Possible team, largely being Friday’s Black team and the necessary Oranges to get to 26.

That’s 11 new players. Obviously include Laverde if OK; possibly Sam Michael if signed. Giles would have got a run…

Good question. It’s very unlike the AFL to be vague and ambiguous. They’re usually well on top of these things

That was going to be my question.

Not that these games mean anything (although games against Fark Carlton always mean something), but how can it be that they have played a game before we have played any? That doesn’t seem fair, as they have had a proper practice game and we haven’t. Can’t see why we are not playing another team that is yet to play a game.

P.S. Fark Carlton.

http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/nabchallenge

Club Member Access

Once again, AFL and Club access members will have free general admission entry to those NAB Challenge matches in which their Club is competing (subject to availability, upgrade fees may be applicable). Some restrictions may apply for non-access members. To confirm your eligibility, please contact your club.

Dempsey will play all the preseason games I reckon, so he comes in for Bird or Cooney.

The earliest real game Dempsey can play is April 24, in the VFL, and we desperately need to determine our best team — hence his exclusion. ANZAC Day has a 9 day break before, and 6 days after, so he probably doesn’t come in directly in at that time.

He was an Orange in the practice match and didn’t stand out. He can play in VFL practice matches (I think) throughout March to get some touch.

Ha DJR, selection of one ruckman. Shades of Hirdys controversial selections in 2015 !

I agree with using 5-6 top ups. But the actual squad will perhaps disclose whether the coaches are more about developing players in 2016 by throwing them in at the deep end, or at the other end of the scale, being overprotective by picking lots of topups.
I think your selection is more about development, and I like that.

If we actually had a second ruckman available I’d have picked him… but Ambrose is not a ruckman.

If we actually had a second ruckman available I'd have picked him... but Ambrose is not a ruckman.
Michael? Grimly can ruck too